Can you be good at both????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Luck I'm sure it will all become clear and you'll think what was I worried about.
Take care

Hi Babsann.
I am pretty much like in the same situation. I am a jack of all trades and master of none.

I offer a COMPLETE service to my clients : I am a hairdresser (25)yrs been doing hair. I am qualified to level 2 beauty, and level 3 holistic therapy. I am also an advanced reflexologist!
My real love is reflexology, but in an ideal world the clients just arent there just for reflexology.
I offer hairdressing, all beauty treatments EXCEPT waxing (cos I dont like waxing), reflexology, aromatherapy, swedish massage, hot/cold stone massage,indian head massage, facials, pedicure, etc.
BUT...... I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same. I wish I could specialize in just one thing, but to keep busy and to stop getting bored of doing the same thing day in and day out , and to offer everything to my clients I offer a complete package. I rarely do nails.
I have lost my confidence with nails and I would like to try and get it back by doing a creative course, BUT all I am doing is adding another string to my bow , and am reluctant cos of the many 'umbrellas' that I already have.
Whilst I am doing someones hair I am trying to talk em into having a treatment!! Oh and I forgot to mention tanning now as well! I did the tanrick training not long ago as well . I guess I just cant make up my mind.
I think you will find your niche as soon as you go mobile.
xx

Hi Elaine,I love massage,especially when someone comes in with a back problem,hobbling along and they walk out upright.Makes me feel proud of myself that I have done that for them.
I dont know,I would like to continue with my beauty and be a good nail tech,wish I had the stamina to really push myself whenever I wasn't at work.That way I could be so much better.xx

I do think that there are some therapists that manage to do both perfectly but honestly from two colleges i attended and all the therapists i have met through work only a minority successfully do both.

I don't offer nail enhancements as i couldn't give it the time and dedication it needed and i wanted to concentrate on facials.

If you want to be good at both then i think you will succeed.

Thanks for everyones advice,will see what the future holds eh!!!

hi im new to the site, but just wanted to add that ive been a beauty therapist for only 3 years and a nail tech for two, i recently opened my own salon and work there on my own...i have found an easy balance between the therapies i offer and the nail enhancement side, and im really happy and confident with all my clients! you definately can do it, all it takes is practise and time untill you feel totally confident...dont worry :D

Hi Bab's,this relates to me personally,i am not generalizing.

I am a qualified hairdresser and fully intended on doing the level three in hairdressing,the college canceled the course which left me unsure of what to do.

After evaluating my life i decided i want to be the best at nails,not hair,you know the old saying .. jack of all trades master of none,well right now that applies to me.

I don't have the time or funds right now to commit to cpd in both aspects so i decided to focus on my first love,nails.

I think if you can put in the time effort and money into improving your skills and cpd in more than one thing then go for it,but my circumstances meant i couldn't.

For me personally i would rather work hard and be great at one thing than OK at both,but that doesn't mean to say it can't be done.

Wishing you luck in whatever you decide :Love:

I personally offer both "beauty" and nails and have to say that I prefer doing nails.

I am mobile and this could simply be because when I do nails, I have a lot less stuff to carry around with me.

Having said that, I find transforming someone's nails so rewarding whereas if I wax someone's hairy armpit, it doesn't give me the same sense of achievement :)

I just find waxing such a tedious chore. I quite like doing underams, but the rest just leaves me totally uninspired. If I'm perfectly honest, I had a call from someone yesterday who wanted a full body wax and she wanted me to be with her in the next two hours and I told her that I already had an appointment. I know I really should not have turned her down because it would have been good money, but a full body wax takes me about 2hrs and I just couldn't be bothered.

So to answer your question, yes, I think if you have a passion for both, I don't see why you couldn't be good at both, but as you've said, once you start going mobile, you might soon find that one suits you better than the other.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back