Can you build up a "resistance" to spray tans??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabarbie

Reaction score
This may seem odd, but, I have been having spray tans using Amber Mist more or less every week for about a year now.

I dont do them, I have am not qualified, I get someone who is qualified to do it for me :green:

Anyway. I am starting to notice the tan is now not taking on my face, and seems to be a lot lighter than it used to be everywhere else? She's not applying it any differently.

Do you think its possible I have built up a resistance to this brand of tan?! Or am I just going crazy?:eek:

I'd imagine it highly unlikely that anyone could build up a "resistance" to spray tans, as the DHA and erythulose in spray tan formulations only react with the top most layer of skin, the "stratum corneum"; they are not absorbed any further into the body.

The stratum corneum is constantly replenished; dead skin cells are removed when you exfoliate exposing fresh skin cells underneath.

The most likely cause may be that you have started to use different skin care products that may be creating a "barrier" on the skin through which the tan does not penetrate as well (or does so patchily); also there is always the possibility that you are more used to seeing yourself tanned most of the time, so there is less of a difference in skin colour when you get a tan on top of skin that already has some tan left on it, compared to the first time you ever had a spray tan...

This may seem odd, but, I have been having spray tans using Amber Mist more or less every week for about a year now.

I dont do them, I have am not qualified, I get someone who is qualified to do it for me :green:

Anyway. I am starting to notice the tan is now not taking on my face, and seems to be a lot lighter than it used to be everywhere else? She's not applying it any differently.

Do you think its possible I have built up a resistance to this brand of tan?! Or am I just going crazy?:eek:

It is not relay possible to developer an immunity to a spray tan ..I would think it is more likely to be other factors at play here.

It could be that you have simply gotten used to the colour and that now it just doesnt seem as dark as before.

Tans to faces do have a tendency to fade quicker than other parts of the body ...maybe its worth asking for a little more tan to be applied to the face than elsewhere.

Are you recently on any form of medication ...although highly unlikely to effect the facial area only?

I was discussing a similar thing today with my daughter and a lot of her teenage friends use face wipes to cleanse which are quite harsh and will also leave residue on the skin.We think using these can effect faces before and after a tan.

I used to also be very wary of spraying someones face in case it was too dark,and would do it too quickly or too far away so they were obviously not getting enough or as much solution on them as other areas.Do you look like your face has been sprayed enough just after ie. can you see the guide colour.

hi hun have you asked your technicain if she has changed solutions,or perhaps changed to a differant % ,just a thought .could even be a bad batch have you spoke to her abt it ?she is going to be the best person to advise you hun x

Hmmm. The face wipe theory would make sense - I have my tan done during the working day so usually whip my make-up off with a face wipe.

Its not a different solution, we buy it together when we go to the wholesalers, and I always have her go over my face 3-4 times!!!!!

I'll give it a go without using a facial wipe this week!

my friend had the same problem. i sprayed her for 3 months after that she had much lighter shade even i sprayed her with the same %.Sometimes it's depend on time of the month. I heard that when women have their "bad days" everything changes in the body.I had even few times when i dyed my hair and colour didnt come.:|

Latest posts

Back