Can you successfully Shellac while client having their hair done?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippit

Reaction score
I have been given the opportunity by a hair salon to do shellac nails.The only thing is th esalon owner would like me to do them as the customers are having their hair done- mainly having a colour put on as this would be a good why to save the clients time.
I am not sure if this would work or not?
I am not that experienced, so would like to ask the more experienced of you what you think.
I thought I could PEP while the colour is put on & then shellac while waiting for it to take, which should give me enough time.The only thing is setting up etc next to the customer , what to do the nails on.
I would prefer a small table somewhere in the salon, but it's tight on space
i hope you can help me decide whether to go for it or not , thanks

I do shellac whilst the clients got their colour on, I know you said the salon is tight on space but is there no were to put a table you can fold back down when not in use? Supposed you could put your lamp on a chair or something whilst you do the other hand x

I would Shellac while someone had colour in their hair and they were sitting at my manicure desk, but otherwise I wouldn't.

When you suggest a folding table, do you do the clients nails while they are sat in the hairdressers chair or do they move to you where you are set up?
Do you have enough time to do it all once their colour is on ? or do you have to start before that time?

When you suggest a folding table, do you do the clients nails while they are sat in the hairdressers chair or do they move to you where you are set up?
Do you have enough time to do it all once their colour is on ? or do you have to start before that time?

I rent a room upstairs so i already have a manicure table set up, when I first started tho I did file and polish whilst people was sat in the hairdressers chair because it was before my table had come,I find I have enough time after 30 mins the hairdressers bobs up and checks them in that time I'm just doing second coat of colour x

Hi I work within a hair salon doing specifically Shellac and have been for 6months now! I started off with all these questions too and through lots of trial and error including folding tables etc and clients moving to my space, it just didn't work!
Now I dry PEP whilst colour is being put on, i sit on a small swivel chair inbetween the salon chairs and I have a beanbag cushion thing which the client sits on their lap with the lamp on top and I sit at the side of them and it's works perfectly! The main thing is the client comfort and the angle I sit at! To Shellac I have a towel and a hand rest that they lean on whilst the other hand is in the lamp!
My clients have been happy as they can do both and it's convenient for them, and we now get joint booking for shellac and colour and we run packages for both treatments which are very popular! It's a matter of being organised and flexible but bring able to get yourself into a good position that means precise polishing!
I hope that helps SSx

Thank you so much that was very detailed and I hadn't thought of any of those things!
At what stage during them having their hair done do you start? How long does it take you, is it longer than normal?

You say positioning is key and you have explained it well, would there be any chance you could post some photos showing exactly how it all works?

One more question, sorry. But haven't discussed with salon owner yet about how we work the money! as in do I pay rent / pay her a %. Can i ask how you work it?

Hi I work within a hair salon doing specifically Shellac and have been for 6months now! I started off with all these questions too and through lots of trial and error including folding tables etc and clients moving to my space, it just didn't work!
Now I dry PEP whilst colour is being put on, i sit on a small swivel chair inbetween the salon chairs and I have a beanbag cushion thing which the client sits on their lap with the lamp on top and I sit at the side of them and it's works perfectly! The main thing is the client comfort and the angle I sit at! To Shellac I have a towel and a hand rest that they lean on whilst the other hand is in the lamp!
My clients have been happy as they can do both and it's convenient for them, and we now get joint booking for shellac and colour and we run packages for both treatments which are very popular! It's a matter of being organised and flexible but bring able to get yourself into a good position that means precise polishing!
I hope that helps SSx

Great reply!

I spend my working life doing nails without a table and it is perfectly possible. I've trained teams to work in hair salons perfectly mobile. I've even applied Shellac to someone having a facial when time was far too short

I am encouraged by your replies, thank you.

Do you have any other tips/ suggestions you could give me?

Hi Pippit,
In terms of rent etc, this is a new business for me and I've come from a sales/marketing/recruitment career so I know I look at things very differently. I re trained and am now self employed and LOVING it.The way I work is I pay rent which when your starting up might not be to your advantage at first,as you might just break even but with hard work which will involve long hours and lots and lots of nails you will reap the benefit honey when you are still paying your rent and the rest is yours.
Mum I too have Shellaced people while they are doing the oddest things but thats what has given me the reputation of being approachable,flexible yet professional and of course always doing a perfect polish. Women now want to save time so anything I can do to accommodate them I do!
SS xx

Thank you so much that was very detailed and I hadn't thought of any of those things!
At what stage during them having their hair done do you start? How long does it take you, is it longer than normal?

You say positioning is key and you have explained it well, would there be any chance you could post some photos showing exactly how it all works? The towell and handrest, do you put that ontop of the lamp?

One more question, sorry. But haven't discussed with salon owner yet about how we work the money! as in do I pay rent / pay her a %. Can i ask how you work it?

Latest posts

Back