Can you teach yourself nail art??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukfaye

Reaction score
Hi I am becoming more and more interested in nails, since starting Minx, I have been making really making a huge huge effort to perfect my polishing. Not just french but just a perfect polish. So clients say wow thats so neat!!!!:)
I was wandering, as an add on as I dont get asked to do it much, but just so I could have a few designs to offer if someone did. Can i teach myself nail art? And if so am I aloud to do this on paying customers without doing an extra course in it??
Thanks in advance guys.x

As long as you are qualified in manicure it is fine to offer hand painted nail art hun, hth :hug:

Hi I am becoming more and more interested in nails, since starting Minx, I have been making really making a huge huge effort to perfect my polishing. Not just french but just a perfect polish. So clients say wow thats so neat!!!!:)
I was wandering, as an add on as I dont get asked to do it much, but just so I could have a few designs to offer if someone did. Can i teach myself nail art? And if so am I aloud to do this on paying customers without doing an extra course in it??
Thanks in advance guys.x

You can teach yourself nail art it just takes practise and a lot of patience :)
Good Luck

You have to PAY for it ? ........ THAT sucks.

If you are artistic you can .. if not you can't.

Worst course I ever ran was for basic nail art. I'd show simple techniques for certain things and then tell the students to get on and be creative and Almost every student had to ask .. well what can I do? :irked: I used to tear my hair out. If one has no imagination then forget nail art. Or just stick to 2-3 designs that you can practice and do well and leave it at that.

I tried to sign up to see the CND videos but couldn't do it (problems with my lap top)... will try again.. thanks a million

Thanks in advance guys.x

You can try some simple designs by yourself,some steps-by-steps you find in nailart magazines.But if you really want to be professional in that, you need to learn some basic technics for the beginners and advanced later. 11 years ago i made handpaitning design on my nails.The nailtech was young girl-artist.Her handpainting was amazing!!! I was so excited,when i came back home i tried to produce the same by myself(funny thing,that i used nailpolishes for that and some kind of pen)My design wasnt the same:irked: ,what i got in salon.But i wanted to learn to paint my nails myself.So i came to her and took few lessons in nail art;-) Since that new career started for me;-) I left the lab,where i was working as a microbiologist to become a nailartist.Some of my friends thought i am crasy:eek: to leave such prestige job:green: But love to nailart was stronger;-)So my advice,you can try, but if you want to learn more,better to take a class and practise,practise,practise!

YES you can teach yourself... BUT only if you are truly interested in doing it, and motivated.

Prior to doing nails, I "thought" that I couldn't draw AT ALL.....
My very first challenge by a client was to learn to do an Orchid for her wedding.
Well... I googled like mad, everything I could think of and found a link or two that taught me how to draw/paint them.
VOILA I can do an orchid :green:

Youtube has TONNES of tutorials for FREE and there are some on this site as well.
AND don't limit yourself to tuts that specifically target nails. Look for other art tutorials . Example: YouTube - Donna Dewberry One Stroke Paper Painting Kit with DVD
Her techniques can be minimized and done on a smaller scale for nails. I recently purchased her book and intend to start practicing one of these days.

If you are motivated, patient and don't mind practicing and making mistakes, you CAN do nail art.

HAVE FUN!!!
That's the WHOLE POINT of it.
:green:

Worst course I ever ran was for basic nail art. I'd show simple techniques for certain things and then tell the students to get on and be creative and Almost every student had to ask .. well what can I do? :irked: I used to tear my hair out. If one has no imagination then forget nail art. Or just stick to 2-3 designs that you can practice and do well and leave it at that.

The funny thing,Geeg, that imagination comes,when you do this regulary;-)
I member i suffered first time,i thought i am not creative enough:cry: Later i started to pay attention on different patterns on the clouth,ceramics,etc.,thats brought me ideas;-)
And now its much easier to be inspired,so many pictures on different sites,magazines.It doesnt mean,that you copy,it gives you more ideas!

I have met very many nail techs who say they love nail art but just don't know how to get started. I think a simple analogy is it is like driving a car - for most people it requires education and then you can go where you mind wants to.

I've sat in on many of Iryna's classes and seen the students before and after work - the difference is staggering, and they are all pretty chuffed with themselves.

You can also watch YouTube videos and the like - but there is a lot of junk out there and if you don't realise it, you can pickup bad techniques. Besides, YouTube doesn't give diploma's that you can show to your clients :)

Ok thanks for replies, so I'll get practicing but if I did want to do
a course a some point is there one that anyone can recommend? Thanks for all your info. :hug:

You can also watch YouTube videos and the like - but there is a lot of junk out there and if you don't realise it, you can pickup bad techniques. Besides, YouTube doesn't give diploma's that you can show to your clients :)

But if you live somewhere where there are no such courses...... such as myself.... youtube will have to suffice.
One day I hope to be as good as Irynia, and as good as Liliya.... for now... I do my best and learn as I go on.
No diploma, but my clients are pleased and in the end, that's what matters.

Sam's courses are great for developing the imagination. She's also a super teacher and lovely lady.

I am not sure if Margarita Belska does nail art training but if she does it will be a very structured education as it will be the way all Russians and Ukrainians learn, from the ground up. You will find Margarita using google.

The problem with many nail art workshops that I've seen is that they teach tricks. This means they teach how to make a 3d rose, or they teach how to make an Edge nail - you come away learning a handful of specific techniques, instead of learning the fundamentals and then having the ability to develop further after the class.

Last edited:
But if you live somewhere where there are no such courses...... such as myself.... youtube will have to suffice.
One day I hope to be as good as Irynia, and as good as Liliya.... for now... I do my best and learn as I go on.

Enthusiasm and practice goes a very long way! :hug:

Iryna's technique has developed enormously in the three years since we first met, mainly because I encouraged her to find good teachers and then she worked her socks off. But of course she (and I) see where she can improve and we have a plan to help her do that. It's a never ending learning process and there is so much talent out there to learn from using whatever means.

You live in Canada,as i see,try to contact Christine Turner,i think you could learn from her some nail art things;-)Nail Diva - Christine Turner - 778-242-DIVA (3482)

+
And very patient and stubborn. :)

ukfaye, it's not only that you have to master the technique somehow. You also have to learn a great deal about materials and tools. Don't expect those who sell to you explain things or give you what you need. To begin with they may have no idea what nail-art is and what stuff is good for doing it and what is not...

To cut the long story short, you can, but be prepared for trial and error. ;)

hi Ukfaye

I am in the same area as you and have done some training at The Beauty acadamy in Cambridge. I have found them to be thorough and reliable. I know they do a nail art course.

HTH
Loo

Latest posts

Back