Can you turn out a professional polish job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I too late? Lost my internet connection for over a year so here I am catching up on all the salon geek newsletters etc...

I love polish, I grew my own nails for my weding last year and have worn them polished ever since - so much so that all I began to get were requests for manicures and pedicures, no ehnacements at all. The best thing about polish is it's versatility.

I think as long as long as we aim for quality the art of the perfect polish cannot be lost, nothing looks better than properly polished nails as opposed to the cuticle/sidewall covered jobs.

Well just you wait until the new CND Colour & Effects launch in Sept. Then you will really see something new, exciting, innovative and as usual with CND ANOTHER FIRST IN THE INDUSTRY. :green:

i love layering colours and getting to know what works with my different varnishes especially for bridal nails :)

i love layering colours and getting to know what works with my different varnishes especially for bridal nails :)
If you love this then the new CND launch will be right up your street!:)

I love doing a fench and then seeing the client a week later seeing it still in tact.Just goes to show the longevity of a salon professional formula:idea:

I have been on a Manicure course and a Beauty NVQ 2 and both times the polishing was pretty much 'skipped' over! We were shown once or twice how to do it and then left to practice - but our efforts werent even checked so how were we to know what we were doing wrong!

I have been on a Manicure course and a Beauty NVQ 2 and both times the polishing was pretty much 'skipped' over! We were shown once or twice how to do it and then left to practice - but our efforts werent even checked so how were we to know what we were doing wrong!

You wouldn't!

You can read the tutorial here about Prescision polishing ... you can buy a copy of 'nailclass' by gigi rouse where polish application is covered or you can go to www.cnd.com and register as a professional go to education and view the videos there of how to do it.

Polishing is a technique like anything else .. watch and learn.

This is a fab thread. I did a course in Manicure/Pedicure a few years back (havnt took it further sadly) we were made to practice our painting techniques quite well Id say in comparision to some of the experiences Ive read here.

It was the Star Nails base and top coat and Attitude Red that I used and after a while I stopped flooding the cuticle and smearing the polish everywhere. Just dont mention French to me :eek: mine was ok but not brill.

Nowadays I only do my own nails but it never ever lasts on me and after reading this thread I think I know why.
It would be great to go to a salon and have a fantastic polish job done on my nails, as I cannot do my right hand to save my life. I certainly think its something that should be advertised more imo.

:hug:

ive just read the posts on tidying up polish on nails with nail fresh, great trick, but was wondering can i do the same using shellac, i know i'll have to tidy betweeen each cure, but didn't know weather it would effect the shellac or not. :irked:

ive just read the posts on tidying up polish on nails with nail fresh, great trick, but was wondering can i do the same using shellac, i know i'll have to tidy betweeen each cure, but didn't know weather it would effect the shellac or not. :irked:

Yes you can and no it won't .. I use it all the time for perfect detailing.

Here here!!! Why come to me with my beautiful collection of clean, professional, glorious colors when you have got your own bottle of gloop? And then tell me, "You're so fussy"!!

I don't understand!!:irked:
Two things drive me nuts: when a client WANTS the polish touching the eponychium (sp) and sidewalls and when a client brings her own polish and it's some crappy drug store brand that has three bristles in the brush.

IMHO, a professional polish job is one that leaves a SMALL margin around the whole nail. I've actually had folks complain that the polish didn't go far enough. :eek:

I'm so used to professional polishes, sometimes I have a diffucult time polishing with OTC procucts. I deal with it tho and do the best polish job I can. :)

I lurrrrrrve polishing but having experimented with the err "bread of my sandwich" I have yet to find the perfect combo of base and topcoat. I've seen Geeg recommend Stickey, but I was wondering which topcoat you allwould recommend? I love Nubar polishes, have any of you used their base / topcoat?

Lilypip.xxx

Here here!!! Why come to me with my beautiful collection of clean, professional, glorious colors when you have got your own bottle of gloop? And then tell me, "You're so fussy"!!

I don't understand!!:irked:

I had a client for a removal and re-Shellac and she complained that the therapist she'd seen before "hadn't gone right to the edge"! Which left me miffed because whoever she was had done a great polish job as far as I could see and I wasn't planning on flooding her cuticles and side walls either! x

I think some clients see it as us doing them out of a week of wear if the colour is too far away from the cuticle but explaining that if one floods the cuticle then the grow out has a massive lifted lip which is prone to catching and chipping off they usually "get it". Having a photo of poorly applied polish/shellac grow out handy may help?xxx

Latest posts

Back