Capping free edge with Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi franjess,
Is Gelish better for weak nails than Shellac? I mean does it add more strength:biggrin:

My Gelish has been on for a few days now and the white line hasn't gotten any worse:biggrin:
I did my first Rock Star tonight on white tips and my practice fingers. xx

Hi franjess,
Is Gelish better for weak nails than Shellac? I mean does it add more strength:biggrin:

My Gelish has been on for a few days now and the white line hasn't gotten any worse:biggrin:
I did my first Rock Star tonight on white tips and my practice fingers. xx
Not in my opinion I have greater success with Shellac in most cases. I'll aways use Shellac with very damaged nails, because some of Gelish colors let me down. Gelish may have more colors but alot of those colors I don't like. I do like Gelish though for some of the colors and if preped good it holds really well on normal nails. I've had clients go up to 8 weeks with both Shellac and Gelish the key is appling correctly. Pictures of both on my website www.franceesnails4shellac.com also there's my review of Gelish, Shellac & Geleration

With some of gelish colors shrinking, it is harder to cap good. The main thing I like Gelish for is the top coat, it resist acetone better when I'm doing manicures but its runny and I don't like the brush.

Shellac top coat gets to thick after awhile but when I warm it between my legs it's good again. Shellac is less forgiving though, you have to follow instruction exactly and use CND lamp no exception or you'll have break down. :biggrin:

Can you please tell me which of the gelish colours to avoid as I have just started and I need more colours, please and thanks.

Can you please tell me which of the gelish colours to avoid as I have just started and I need more colours, please and thanks.
I would not avoid any because some clients nails do just fine with Gelish. The more glittery ones seam to hold the best, like Good Gossip.

I remember Passion as one I have problems with on weak nails. I've been sticking to Shellac the last 4 months and only on occasion do Gelish now.

My active teen daughter has very week nails and with Shellac Hot Chili's went 3 weeks I have picture of it. When I applied Passion from Gelish it chiped before two weeks and same on two other clients but I've done Passion on some and it went two or more weeks so it depends on their nails but for weak nails I trust Shellac more. :biggrin:

I love your web site. I love the grayish Gelish and the blue nails with the swirls and dots and your salon looks fab!! :biggrin:

I love your web site. I love the grayish Gelish and the blue nails with the swirls and dots and your salon looks fab!! :biggrin:

Thanks, Those are Gelish colors, If it's the one on home page that's Princess Tiara its really a light lavender color but it looks grey in different light and the blue is called Ocean Blue with a stamp design.

A golden golden golden RULE of gel is YOU MUST CAP that free edge!

So EMBED that rule in your mind when working with ANY BRAND of gel.:biggrin:

If the gel looks like it has 'come away from where you just capped' the gel may have 'shrunk' back (can be another common trait of gel).

To STOP this happenening you can 'LOCK CURE/FLASH CURE' whatever you want to call it IE put the hand in the lamp for 10 seconds and move onto the next nail.

I work with 2 lamps either side of my desk...get one nail perfect 'lock it' move onto the 2nd Lock it...i tend to do ONE nail at a time and work SPEEDY fast! YOU MUST remember at the end though to FULLY cure for what ever time your product requires so in Gelish case 2 mins....as you only LOCKED it into place so it didnt move not FULLY cured it.

This is especially useful when your doing french...so your Perfected smile can then be LOCK cured and wont move anywhere.

If your client files in between appointments ....it will break that seal you need to make them aware of that.

HTH

Thanks MINKUS, I have heard of flash cure but wasn't sure of what to do.xx
I have been ringing Sally's constantly to see if the course is still on as the first one was canceled.
Bad news my coarse was canceled on Monday, so called mum and explained so she made plans instead of having baby for me.
Good news is I am on a course I found on Sunday instead, mum is available to have baby for me.
Then Sally's rang and said the Monday;s course would go ahead one to one training just for me. I was like OH NO!!! What's the chances of that happening I was spoiled for choice. lol.xx

I was going to buff the top layer of my Gelish and turn it into rock star. Can this be done??? Just to experiment on my self.:biggrin:

Ok thanks MINKUS. I am going on Sunday I can't wait.xx

Yikes I have a proper nail bitter booked in at the weekend, she has not free edge at all!! Any tips anyone?

Anybody? Any tips would be fantastic, I have done this ladys nails before and they have no free edge at all, infact they are more like stumps lol!

hi i did my daughter whose a nail biter i just tried to cap as best as i cud by dabbing along, if u use your thumb and press the skin away from nail., then tidy around nail with an orange stick. ive done hers two weeks running mainly because she wanted a colour change although it had chipped on the odd one. i would recommend a clear or very pale colour to start till they grow and you soon see them grow, my daughter hasn't biten since x

I think one of the geeks once suggested that, to prevent getting uncured gel polish on the skin of a nail bitter put some thing there as a barrier. Apply a nail form where the free edge would be to protect the skin.xx

I tried Gelish for the 1st time 2 days ago as I wanted to see how it compared to Shellac (which I use) I do not think the girl capped the free edge and imediately afterwards it looked like there was a very very tiny gap at the edge almost like it has shrunken back from the edge of the nail but only very slightly, she also left a huge gap around the cuticle :(
Never mind I will see how it wears compared to Shellac!

Remember you need to dry brush gelish or the foundation layer will cause the colour to shrink x

If u don't have forms, use a bit of tape. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Few little tips for you ladies having the shrinkage:

When you apply your foundation then dry brush the first nail you will feel the brush pulling/sticky on the nail ( which is what you want), if you get to finger 4 and it feels like it's not sticky no more make sure you clean your brush because it has become loaded with the foundation.

Remember dry brushing helps keep the foundation thin, sticky and even's out any little bumps/flaws you have.

Also when you dry brush you must remember to dry brush the free edge, this will stop a lot of the shrinkage x

Latest posts

Back