Card machine advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy2013

Reaction score
Hi !
I work in a salon which doesn't have a card machine - this can become really awkward and embarrassing when explaining to new clients and existing clients when it comes to taking the bill.

I also work freelance, so would like a machine that I could take out and about.

Iv heard of Izettle, but would like some genuine, honest advice!

Many thanks in advance!

My salon hasn't got a card machine, it's a nightmare I can't stand it.. I feel bad when clients come to pay and have no cash... I've tried asking my boss to get one but her excuse is it too expensive x

My salon hasn't got a card machine, it's a nightmare I can't stand it.. I feel bad when clients come to pay and have no cash... I've tried asking my boss to get one but her excuse is it too expensive x

That's exactly what my boss has said! I think it's so unprofessional looking!!

Personally I believe a card machine will grow your business. And who carries cash these days? People pay for their £3 lunch meal deal in Tesco on their debit card!
When I moved my salon to a bigger room, I took the plunge and invested in a card machine albeit only a 12 month contract with Card Save. I wanted to look professional and moreover I wanted to make myself "easy to deal with". Who wants to have a lovely relaxing facial or massage and then have to go to the trouble of finding the nearest hole in the wall afterwards? My facials start at £35, if a customer wanted then to buy some retail products afterwards, who these days carries £60+ in cash?
I accept there are associated costs but for me looking professional and growing my business far outweigh these costs.
HTH x

I've just got the Sumup machine and although I've not taken a proper payment from a paying customer I have had a test with it.

For visa payments the client must have a smartphone. For taking a payment by MasterCard you have a smartphone and attach a reader to take the payment. It certainly seems easy enough and it was recommended via SalonGeek to me.

LBR can it be used with a iPad?

Paypal has just released a card reader to the uk, don't know much about it just seen it advertised, might be worth checking out.

I'm sure it can, best check with their website though.

123 SEND is a normal card mating but has a mobile sim inside so can be used anywhere.........in your car etc.

Wow, these are all ones that I haven't even heard of! Iv got so much research to do!

Has anyone had any bad experiences / been ripped off from a company that everyone should definitely avoid?

I use sumup too, very pleased with it. Lbr for the visa payments I put my own number in so it sends the link to me , then I type the details infront of the client so I know it's all done

I use sumup too, very pleased with it. Lbr for the visa payments I put my own number in so it sends the link to me , then I type the details infront of the client so I know it's all done

That's the simplest solution - I've done that too. Although haven't checked with sumup whether this is okay. Must do that today.

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I still think SumUp, iZettle etc are great until there's a problem.... Someone does a chargeback then say bye bye to that money.

We use Cardsave and they are honestly really not expensive. Think for a terminal around £15/£20 a month and get merchant account and transactions included. We get 300 transactions a month included in that then only 20p thereafter which to be fair if you have taken 300 payments in the month business probably isn't too bad and 20p out of the profit is worthwhile lol.

I am with cardsave, into my second year without any problems x

Ahh, I had my first one just an hour ago and she had a smartphone. Intially I forgot to tell her my wifi was open, so once she was logged on to that it was fine. I think she thought it was quite nifty! lol. I even sent a receipt to her :)

So I looked in the Cardsave site, and the reviews said that the company was shocking, anyone else had this problem??

75% of my incomings are card payments, through Lloyd's tsb for a wireless card machine is £25 + £10 minimum for transactions, 25p per transaction, credit cards also take between 1-2.5% of takings on top, it is very costly! But convenient as the money is straight in my account, as I have a business account I get charged for paying in cash anyway!
I'm finding the card machine costly and I'm tied in for 24 months, I would advise looking around for a better deal than I got :)

I took my first payment with iZettle last night and it was great!
Only downside is that you have to buy a printer as extra if you want to print receipts, but you can email the receipts direct, which are very professional and you can upload your salon logo to so they know its legit.
I decided on iZettle as I didn't want to be tied into a contract. The transaction fees are slightly higher, but I only pay when someone makes a payment, where as contracted ones you pay for monthly, whether you take card bills or not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

For info, Sumup have reduced their fees from 2.75% per transaction to 1.95%

Latest posts

Back