Card Machine...Yes or No ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a credit card machine ?

• Total voters

bombini

Reaction score
I have recently taken on a credit card machine (approx one month ago) and my takings have nearly doubled since :) which I think is a combination of retail and add on treatments from existing clients either way Im really chuffed about how well its doing.

How many of you geeks have a card machine ? Has it affected your business ? Good/Bad ?

Although they can be expensive especially if you have a mobile terminal like me they are worth every penny imo.

I have recently taken on a credit card machine (approx one month ago) and my takings have nearly doubled since :) which I think is a combination of retail and add on treatments from existing clients either way Im really chuffed about how well its doing.

How many of you geeks have a card machine ? Has it affected your business ? Good/Bad ?

Although they can be expensive especially if you have a mobile terminal like me they are worth every penny imo.

I am glad to get feed back from this as we have thought about having one for my hubby tattoo studio. What a big increase of nearly doubleing your taking after 1 month. Can i ask,how much do they charge please.?

I haven't got a card machine at the moment because I am allowed to use the one in the hairdressers (lovely lady) but if I were to go out on my own, I would definately get one. I know the Fed. of Sml Bus. do a deal with card machine and bank account but I don't remember the specifics. All I remember is that you have to have been in business for 3 months before you are allowed to apply.

HTH's

xx

This is something I am very interested in too. I am presently setting up my own business and this is a top priority. I would definitely have a merchant service facility as I don't know anyone who carries cash anymore and I don't carry a cheque book either.
I look forward to hearing wich facility people use and the cost please.

I answered no but I am really thinking about it lately. I seem to have had an influx of clients wanting to pay by card lately and they are all asking me when I'll be getting one in.

Tbh I haven't researched it much yet because I know that there are lots of different options out there and I wouldn't know where to start.:rolleyes:

How and why have you chosen the one you now have?

i have had one for a while and i have seen more profit because many clients carry credit cards and if you do a great treatment they are more likley to buy aftercare products as they "just put it on my card" and also if you offer a block booking treatment like tans or non surgical face lifts they are more likley to book up and pay on card .

its funny but iam sure you feel the same about diffrent things(like handbags/shoes ect) it doesnt feel as bad or like real money if you use a card if you ask people xxx amount of £s they think too much about it and it scarys them how much it will cost as with the use of cards it sound horrible but thye just dont think they just do it.

And with starting up i would search well for rental rates and cost of card machine as they are very competative if you have a business bank account try your bank first!!:)

I have one and it has been a godsend.... I have stopped taking cheques all together now ... it is so much easier and the money goes straight into the bank account.

Clients like having the option and they will buy impulse purchases more than if they used their cash.

I have a card machine (HSBC one), and wouldn't have opened without one. It's so much easier to retail expensive products & treatments when it's not actual cash that's being spent!

I took my terminal out with Silverpay for several reasons although they are one of the more expensive companies (5% per transaction) and approx £30 per month rental there is only a 3 month initial contract which is brilliant as all of the other companies I looked at are between 12 - 36 months :eek: a longtime if your card machine isn't popular or to expensive.

When the three months are nearly up I will start to investigate other companies and see what offers they have but tbh although 5% & £30 pm sounds a lot the benefits I have seen outway the negatives.

I found that as I needed a mobile terminal (I use the hair salon number for bookings only & unable to have card terminal on their line) the rates are not particuarly competitive from the banks and I didn't want to be tied into a long contract.

Overall I am really impressed with it and wish id got it in sooner, I have had some clients that paid cash from day one and never bought retail go product crazy as sooner as they could pay by card.

The other bonus was that it was sent out boxed up within 5 days and all I had to do was charge it up and away I go, one company I spoke with insisted a sales rep comes out to meet you then the whole process takes FOUR weeks :eek:

This is really valuable information bombini, so thanks for that.

Can anyone else tell us of their experiences please?

My HSBC one cost £250 for the year & was set up in no time, although they had said it could take up to 4 weeks. I have to pay 25p per debit transaction & 2% on credit cards. If I continue with it next year I believe it's around £18 a month.

I just got one from Barclays...

It works out at £30.00 PM for the rental and transaction charge is 2%

One thing I would recomend is a minimum charge of £10.00 cause it ends up costing you...

Also takes 5 days for the funds to hit your account

HTH

I just got one from Barclays...

It works out at £30.00 PM for the rental and transaction charge is 2%

One thing I would recomend is a minimum charge of £10.00 cause it ends up costing you...

Also takes 5 days for the funds to hit your account

HTH

Not with HSBC it doesn't its 1-2 days.

hi, i have a mobile credit card machine from a company called 123.com. It costs me about £28 a month but with really low card charges. Its a brilliant machine and the money is in my bank in 3-5 days. I couldnt run my business without one. I do semi permanent make up and freelance, and it definitely encourages people to have the treatments, cos they can just stick it on their card.
x

HI
Mines with Lloyds TSB, I pay about £23 p/m and to much on the cards..I am in the process of changing my machine as HSBC offer a really good rate, and even better if you go through the NHF.

If you join the FSB you can apply for a card machine with Streamline. The normal set up fee of £200 is waived, and the monthly fee is £14.94, and the starting merchant fee is 1.95%, reducing to 1.65% after 6 months. This is for a fixed terminal, but via the FSB you can have a wireless terminal if you prefer. The fees are slightly different for that, but I can't remember what they are!

I have a card machine and it really made a difference to my takings! I've had it almost since day 1 so can't remember what I was taking before but I know my takings shot up. There are so many people who are willing to spend more if they use their credit card as it doesn't seem like 'real money', plus they are not restricted by how much caash they are carrying. I think they are a must these days in a salon. Just shop around for a good deal.

I took my terminal out with Silverpay for several reasons although they are one of the more expensive companies (5% per transaction) and approx £30 per month rental there is only a 3 month initial contract which is brilliant as all of the other companies I looked at are between 12 - 36 months :eek: a longtime if your card machine isn't popular or to expensive.

When the three months are nearly up I will start to investigate other companies and see what offers they have but tbh although 5% & £30 pm sounds a lot the benefits I have seen outway the negatives.

I found that as I needed a mobile terminal (I use the hair salon number for bookings only & unable to have card terminal on their line) the rates are not particuarly competitive from the banks and I didn't want to be tied into a long contract.

Overall I am really impressed with it and wish id got it in sooner, I have had some clients that paid cash from day one and never bought retail go product crazy as sooner as they could pay by card.

The other bonus was that it was sent out boxed up within 5 days and all I had to do was charge it up and away I go, one company I spoke with insisted a sales rep comes out to meet you then the whole process takes FOUR weeks :eek:

Bombini Thank you for your endorsement. It's always nice to hear when customers are happy with the service and product they receive, and we pride ourselves on offering a premium service compared to that of the big four banks.
The 5% transaction charge is due to “SilverPay” being the merchant so there is no need for you to have any relationship or lengthy contract with a bank other than an account for your monies to be deposited in. It also gives you the ability to accept American Express & Diners Club cards, which would involve you in additional merchant accounts and extra expense.
SilverPay don't charge any minimums, unlike the banks who usually charge upwards of £20.00 per month if your card business percentages do not reach a minimum monthly threshold.
SilverPay offer a customer help-desk that is U.K based and will support you if there are any problems, are able to process an urgent payment for you if there is a terminal problem, replace the terminal within 48 hours if it fails, defend any customer charge backs on your behalf, etc.

SilverPay also give an online service, a virtual terminal “free” with the mobile terminal so you can take card holder not present payments (booking fees, course fees, gift vouchers etc) and also view your account online.
The online service is available as an individual product at very reasonable rates for those who have internet access in their place of work and do not see their customer face to face (ie; all transactions are customer not present).
Its been proven time after time to raise revenue especially when there are complimentary treatments and products available. It also makes a business look professional.

If any one would like more information please pm me for details, thanks x

I have been thinking about this for a while as new clients are always gutted when I don't take a card.
I work from 2 venues, so would I be able to use the terminal from both of them?

Latest posts

Back