Card Machine...Yes or No ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a credit card machine ?

• Total voters
do you have to bank with HSBC if you want to get their card machine?
xxxx

thats interesting to hear what machines you guys all use. i'm in the process of setting my salon up and am definatley getting a machine but wasn't sure who was good or not.. hsbc sounds good, although it does get very confusing doesnt it x

I took my terminal out with Silverpay for several reasons although they are one of the more expensive companies (5% per transaction) and approx £30 per month rental there is only a 3 month initial contract which is brilliant as all of the other companies I looked at are between 12 - 36 months :eek: a longtime if your card machine isn't popular or to expensive.

When the three months are nearly up I will start to investigate other companies and see what offers they have but tbh although 5% & £30 pm sounds a lot the benefits I have seen outway the negatives.

I found that as I needed a mobile terminal (I use the hair salon number for bookings only & unable to have card terminal on their line) the rates are not particuarly competitive from the banks and I didn't want to be tied into a long contract.

Overall I am really impressed with it and wish id got it in sooner, I have had some clients that paid cash from day one and never bought retail go product crazy as sooner as they could pay by card.

The other bonus was that it was sent out boxed up within 5 days and all I had to do was charge it up and away I go, one company I spoke with insisted a sales rep comes out to meet you then the whole process takes FOUR weeks :eek:

£30.00 a month? Sounds like they see you coming. I pay 1/3 of that per month without any contract and my rates are very competitive.

I've been looking at the boyal bank of scotland deal via BABTAC and the silverlink but have found a deal if you are a member of the Federation of Small Businesses.
Its with streamline. No st up fee, £15 plus vat for terminal, up to 1.95% for credit cards and up to 30p for debit but no minimum and these drop down (after 3 or 6 months cant remember now) to 1.65% and 23p.
I can have cardholder not present.
But cant remember days into account or time taken to set up.
Do the phone calls work out expensive?

Louise

Stick with Streamline but tell them you have got a deal lined up for £10.00 a month, 1.55% on Credit Cards and 18p on Debit Cards. Leave it for a few days and I'll bet you they'll be back to match it.

£30.00 a month? Sounds like they see you coming. I pay 1/3 of that per month without any contract and my rates are very competitive.

Tell me more !

I take it you have a mobile terminal ?

Hi, no I don't have a mobile terminal. We don't need one!

My Merchant services are with Streamline/Cardsave, give them a try and see what they will offer you: 0800010166 - 014722694444

I know they do Mobile Terminals as they offered us one.

I will give them a call, I know what I pay is quite high because its mobile, no long contract etc etc. But its always worth checking out other companys.

Hi Peps

Just to let you all know I voted No

The reason I dont have a machine is that I have 4 cash machines within the shopping center which I can see from the salon window.

But I may think about it for the future.

Good thread though very interesting:hug:

Well I have just had a visit from the Federation of Small Business and I signed up with them in order to benefit from their Streamline deal.

No set up fee, first 3 months rental free and then £14.95 there after. Initial charges are 1.95% and 30p per transaction. Far better than any other I have seen so far! Hope fully the machine will be in and up and running within 2 weeks.

Well I have just had a visit from the Federation of Small Business and I signed up with them in order to benefit from their Streamline deal.

No set up fee, first 3 months rental free and then £14.95 there after. Initial charges are 1.95% and 30p per transaction. Far better than any other I have seen so far! Hope fully the machine will be in and up and running within 2 weeks.

Thats great doll)))

I was paying 29.99 + VAT per month, £150 installation fee and 30p per transaction. Rip off.

I asked about mobile machine and that was £45 per month.

Its worth for salons surely, but if you just work for yourself and do a little per day you would be fine without one.

Now I dont have a machine, I am lucky I have a cash machine next to the shop so its not a problem, clients are happy.

:)

literally couldnt survive without my card machine! stupid amount of time to wait for funds to clear tho which is a bit crap but not sure if thats to do with the fact that im with HSBC! I hate them, RBS kick ass.

The FSB deal sounds good, I have been weighing up signing with them. Has anyone got their business account through them and how long does it take for funds to clear with their card terminal?

Thanks x

I will give them a call, I know what I pay is quite high because its mobile, no long contract etc etc. But its always worth checking out other companys.

Hi Bombini
Its good to make comparrisons if you are thinking about becoming your own merchant with a bank which is usually best suited to individuals with a higher card turn over or salons.
The main things to look out for in the small print are
  • minimum charges (which the banks charge at around £20 per month if you dont hit minimum card spend),
  • transaction charge (up to 38p per transaction),
  • lenghty contracts (of upto 3 years),
  • customer care for when things go wrong or you get charge backs.
  • Is there an online facility with your terminal (free with SilverPay)
best regards Helen

CPS (card processing solutions) is reasonable - £18.75 per month, 1.5% per credit card transaction and 20p per debit card transaction. You have to sign up for 36 months though and contacting the guys who lease you the machine (Forrester UK) is a NIGHTMARE. The company is American and all the call centre staff sound like they are away with the fairies. But cheap compared to other companies.

Don't go with Cardsave - more expensive and I was missold the machine, the salesman didn't make clear that even after a year there is a get out fee of £150, wot a rip-off.

CPS (card processing solutions) is reasonable - £18.75 per month, 1.5% per credit card transaction and 20p per debit card transaction. You have to sign up for 36 months though and contacting the guys who lease you the machine (Forrester UK) is a NIGHTMARE. The company is American and all the call centre staff sound like they are away with the fairies. But cheap compared to other companies.

Don't go with Cardsave - more expensive and I was missold the machine, the salesman didn't make clear that even after a year there is a get out fee of £150, wot a rip-off.

Hi Tog
Forgot that one. Paying to get out of a contract. Very under handed. I hope FSB work out for you but 36 months? Big commitment. Thats why it's cheaper on rental.
Helen

Who do I contact for the mobile terminal I have got confused after reading all these messages now.

If someone can let me know that would be great.

The FSB deal sounds good, I have been weighing up signing with them. Has anyone got their business account through them and how long does it take for funds to clear with their card terminal?

Thanks x

I've got a business account with the Cooperative Bank via the FSB. They're pretty busy at the moment because they're an ethical bank and lots of people are moving their accounts to them as a result of the meltdown in the financial sector.
The only negative comment I have about the FSB is that it takes aaaaages to get your membership number, and you can't even apply for the business account with the Coop until you have it. The bumf with the Streamline details says that it takes 2 -3 working days for the money to be in your account. I can't comment on it personally as I'm just waiting for mine to be installed! I'll report back once it's up and running.

Hi Fitz may I ask who you are with? Thanks Helen

Well I had my Streamline machine installed on Friday. Their service was very fast.

I have just had details as follows:

12 month contract
£15.00 per month
No phone charges
30 per transaction debit card
1.8% credit cards
No minimum amount to go through per month

Sounds good to me, may go for it.

I have just had details as follows:

12 month contract
£15.00 per month
No phone charges
30 per transaction debit card
1.8% credit cards
No minimum amount to go through per month

Sounds good to me, may go for it.

This sounds a good deal. Who is it with Julie?

Latest posts

Back