Card Machine...Yes or No ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a credit card machine ?

• Total voters
Who do I contact for the mobile terminal I have got confused after reading all these messages now.

If someone can let me know that would be great.
Just look on their websites or google the names and find their websites, all their nos will be there.

Who do I contact for the mobile terminal I have got confused after reading all these messages now.

If someone can let me know that would be great.
Hi
Try SilverPay, you wont need a bussiness relationshio with your bank or a merchant account, minimum contract is only 3 months (good for Xmas period), you get the online service to take payments through web for free with a mobile terminal and they can set you up with in days not weeks.
Thanks
Helen

Hi Helen,
I assumed if I wanted a mobile card terminal I would need to have a business account and as of yet havent opened one up, could i carry on using my 'normal' account and still accept card payments?
Thanks.

Hi Helen,
I assumed if I wanted a mobile card terminal I would need to have a business account and as of yet havent opened one up, could i carry on using my 'normal' account and still accept card payments?
Thanks.
Yes they do not require you to have a business account just to nominate an account for your payments to go in to
Helen

Card Save through RBS.
Hi I think RBS require you to be your own merchant. SilverPay can also arrange this for you with competitive rates. It depends on your card revenue as to wether this is the best option to avoid paying for not achieving minimums. I think the turning point for this is around £1000 pounds per month.
Helen

Hi Helen,
Thanks.
Hi Orchid11
Yes thats fine
Thanks Helen

this thread is fantastic! i have never had soooo many questions answered without even asking lol! does anyone have a terminal with barclays as i bank with them. And also, do you have to eg, bank with rbs to get their good deal?

Cheers guys xxxxx :lol:

I have an account with co-op through FSB. It took about 6 weeks to set up! Very slow! But I have to say they have been excellent ever since. The Streamline account is really good and my clients spend more money on products and treatments becasue they can pay on card. I would not be without it plus I do not have to leave my premises and walk to my care with lots of cash, so on a security level it's better for me! The downside is it does take about 5 days for the funds to hit your account so you are always playing catchup.

Great question. I was also thinking about getting a machine.
I had to see if the bank charges for cash and cheques were less than what i would be charged for using a switch machine. I'm better of without one, however, so many people say the same thing....once they get one the clients always want to spend more. So, maybe in the long run it would be better.

FSB defo do a deal so get in touch with them, they will waiver the initial cost.

My salon is reasonably big - 9 to 10 staff and a large annual t/o. We now pull in 75% at least in debit and credit payments per week.

Retail sales are hugely dependant on being able to pay by card. There are just not enough people carrying around enough cash to pay for impulse buys! And that includes having an additional service whilst having their nails done.

FSB defo do a deal so get in touch with them, they will waiver the initial cost.

Not only do they waive the setup cost but the first 3 months rental of the machine is free, and the transaction charge is much reduced.
You also get free business banking with the Co-op (at last - an ethical bank!), and many other financial/legal/taxation advice services.

I have done alot of research into card payments as I have just started renting a room.

FSB has a good deal with Streamline, but to use their co-op business account you would need to be a member ongoing. If you want to be a member every year then it would work for you.

FPB has a the deal with HSBC and has NO MINIMUM CONTRACT, you can cancel through FPB at any time. The rates are good (better than streamline) and also you get first 3 months rental free.

Check out this link Card processing | Mobile card terminals

I signed up with Abbey for a business account. Free charges forever.

I have done alot of research into card payments as I have just started renting a room.

FSB has a good deal with Streamline, but to use their co-op business account you would need to be a member ongoing. If you want to be a member every year then it would work for you.

FPB has a the deal with HSBC and has NO MINIMUM CONTRACT, you can cancel through FPB at any time. The rates are good (better than streamline) and also you get first 3 months rental free.

Check out this link Card processing | Mobile card terminals

I signed up with Abbey for a business account. Free charges forever.

The membership is atleast £200 per year.

I think it depends on the number of employees you have. As a sole trader I pay £130 pa to FSB.
Thanks Calla, the link is for the Forum of Private Business (FPB)which I hadn't heared of but the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) is quite well know.
If you become a merchant with them their contract for the terminal is 3 years, does that mean the membership will have to keep going for the whole 3 years also?
Many thanks
Helen

um, not sure, but I would imagine so!

i got one through the Federation of Small Businesses and although its a great idea, now I rent a room in a sunbed salon and the sunbeds affect the machine - it won't work - and in the small print i am stuck with it for 3 yrs! at £25 a month....
I am going to ask them if this can be reviewed or changed as its no good for me in the salon, it only works when I am out mobile.

but its true, people will spend more when they can stick it on the card! :|

i got one through the Federation of Small Businesses and although its a great idea, now I rent a room in a sunbed salon and the sunbeds affect the machine - it won't work - and in the small print i am stuck with it for 3 yrs! at £25 a month....
I am going to ask them if this can be reviewed or changed as its no good for me in the salon, it only works when I am out mobile.

but its true, people will spend more when they can stick it on the card! :|

Hi Lady R, I am very suprised to hear of this problem. Usually the mobile terminals run through GPRS in the same way as a mobile phone. I would firstly check the machine to see if you have a signal (although most cards will self certify themselves up to £120 so connection to the bank under that amount isn't crucial). Does your own mobile phone work in the salon and is it the same network? Ask your machine provider what network it is on and then check signal strength in your area (can be done on the net). If you have signal and your network is good there then I would say the machine is faulty and get them to try changing it. If it still does not work then under the trades description act you can ask for your money back....Quote "
Fit for purpose means that the goods must do what they claim to do. This is in addition to your customer's right that the goods should be fit for their normal purposes."
Another option if you have internet in the salon would be to use an online "virtual terminal" through the internet, they are less expensive too. SilverPay provide this on a 3 month minimum contract. www.silverpay.co.uk
Good luck with this
Helen

Latest posts

Back