Card machine ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsNailsNails

Reaction score
Hi just after your views on having a card machine. Is it worth it and have you noticed an increase in takings? Where is the best place to get one. Thanks in advance for your help.

I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread, but I would be interested in any views as well. My thinking is that impulse purchases may increase for retail items, especially on skincare and spray tanning.

My bank has said you need a business account, which I have opened, but waiting for them to call me regarding the card machine.

Does anyone have one via The Guild, as I think they discount the rate?

BABTAC do that too - via HBOS

our bank supplied ours, it cost us nothing by way of deposit, and it costs 20 per month to rent and 1.79 % on each purchase.

last month 72% of our sales went through it ( our first month of opening the salon), so its been popular so far.

tigi

Do any mobile therapists have a card machine to increase sales?

You'd need to make sure it was a card machine that works over a mobile phone network rather than a land line though - is there any difference in price between these or does it depend on who your business banks with?
Posted via Mobile Device

Huge difference between price of a mobile unit and using a land line unit. Both to buy and rent per month.

I'm guessing the mobile unit is a lot more expensive then?
Posted via Mobile Device

I know 123 send do a mobile unit, but i have no idea how much it costs as we dont use them.

tigi

i use a mobile unit at the salon, through retail merchant services i pay about 25 a month to rent it but the price per transaction is pretty cheap.

If you become a member of the FSB (and frankly - why wouldn't you!) you can have a card terminal through them at a discounted rate. The first 3 months are free, thereafter the line rental is about £15. The interchange rate is also cheaper with the option to reduce the rate after 6 months (once they know that you're going to keep the unit and that you're putting sales through it)
I use a landline one in my salon - upwards of 90% of my sales go through it, and I find that people spend more using a card than with cash.
I'm dithering with the idea of no longer accepting cheques because they're a pain to document and bank, but I have a couple of high value clients who use them and I must sound them out first.
I think it projects a very professional image if you have a card machine, and the cost of having one is grossly outweighed by the additional income generated.
Also, in this day and age people don't carry around 100 notes in cash very often because everywhere takes cards. I don't want to limit my clients' spending power! My clients' average spend each visit is between £100 and £150 - lot of folding to be having in their back pocket!

I have just got a card machine from my bank - Barclays, via Barclaycard Merchant Services. They do a special rate if you are with The Guild.

Mine has a charging terminal in my home by the phone & I take the mobile unit out into the salon (garden log cabin).

Most of my clients think it's a godsend for them as they don't normally carry cash & have to make a special journey to the cash point just for me- lets face it, it feels like you are spending money when you have to physically get real notes out and hand them over, but with a card machine, it's easy just to hand the card over. A painless transaction lol!

It's only been in operation about 10 days, so I've not had a chance to gage it's worth, but I'm not having to allocate 1/2 a day to got into town (10 miles) find a parking space at £1.50 a pop and pay extra to pay cheques into my account. So for me, it's time saving and the charges for having it are worth it.

Latest posts

Back