Cash or card for small business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the second review on the app on iPhone it's not good

What company doesn't advertise their phone number and address its wierd, like the fella says why a passport I'd. There's no way I'd be giving them my bank details and my clients. Xxx

Hi, i dont always investigate bank fees and charges on my personal acc as the're a fact of life! and this may be a silly question but im wondering if the bank also charges a fee for processing the incoming funds to your account, even though they're electronic?

Also if i decided to introduce card payment facilities, do i up my prices or let my customers know that they will be charged extra, the equivalent of for instance, 2.75% as in the case of SumUp. What would be less off-putting? Can anyone let me know how they approached it without annoying clients or losing business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have emailed the company and they have sent this email to me

Our service is free of monthly fees/contracts, start-up costs, fixed fees or any hidden charges. You only pay 2.75% per successfully swiped card transactions. Our fee is deducted from the amount of the transaction before your bank account is credited.

There is a minimum settlement amount of €40. If your daily transactions total is less than €40, your settlement will be carried over until it exceeds this minimum settlement amount. You should receive your funds within 2 working days from the date of processing your transactions. However, please be aware that the time it takes for funds to reach your account is not only determined by us but also by your bank.

Should you have any further questions on this matter, please reply to this email.

My brother works with computers he's company deals with matters to do with card processing merchants asked him to look at the website and he said not to do it so ill be sticking with a well known company maybe in the future when these types of things have developed abit more, there's to many dodgy fraud things going on and wouldn't like my clients to become victims of it wouldn't wana put myself in that situation, my boyfriend a few weeks ago had money taken out of his bank account
This is twice its happened to him in the past few years. Xxx

I have a blackberry x Does anyone know anything like sumup that works with blackberry smart phones?

I have come across Barclays Pingit today whilst trawling the internet.
I was wondering if anybody has used it for business and if it as any good?

It is an app that you can download on an android phone or to your pc and receive money's through txt messages. It's free and by the looks of things quite easy to use you don't have to bank with them to use it as long as your phone receives txt's.

I had concerns when looking at sumup for the same reasons as you guys.
CCS is the sort of thing I am looking for thanks Lynne I have asked them to get in touch to give me a quote . :biggrin:

I have come across Barclays Pingit today whilst trawling the internet.
I was wondering if anybody has used it for business and if it as any good?

It is an app that you can download on an android phone or to your pc and receive money's through txt messages. It's free and by the looks of things quite easy to use you don't have to bank with them to use it as long as your phone receives txt's.

I had concerns when looking at sumup for the same reasons as you guys.
CCS is the sort of thing I am looking for thanks Lynne I have asked them to get in touch to give me a quote . :biggrin:

I rang CCS I'm going with them they were very nice on the phone and very helpful too. Xxx

I've got ping it and I love it. You don't have to have a Barclays account to use it:)

Hi Guys
I will be renting a room in a few weeks but haven't worked out how I will be paid for services. Which is easiest Cash or card? I know this might sound like a stupid question!!! I obviously want to get paid cash as it's up front but the bank told me this would be more expensive for me. I have also been told that I would be a cash run business by a business adviser. Is it easier to get one of those hand held card things and have money's paid straight into the bank automatically but do I need a phone line put in? Or does it all depend on how clients want to pay? Sorry for stupid question I am a little confused.

I am trying to send my card machine back at the end if my term and they are trying to charge me a £190 + VAT restocking charge. This is standard to most companies after researching it.

Stick with cash honey, just make sure you pay it in. You should get 12 months free banking so it won't cost you anything for the first year

Hth

I have a blackberry x Does anyone know anything like sumup that works with blackberry smart phones?

Don't think there's anything for blackberry. Worst decision I ever made was getting one, will stick with iPhone from now on and let my blackberry fester in the drawer xoxo

As a mobile therapist I have found that clients do tend to have the money to pay for what they have booked in but not much more.

I decided that if clients wanted extra services (and I had time & the kit required) I could access paypal on my mobile and take a card payment.

I would also add a small amount on to the total price for paying by card as paypal would take a small amount of each transaction and I didn't see why I should be paid less than my advertised price just because a client wanted to pay by card.

So far I have only had 1 client need to pay by card and that was because she was my last client booked in for the day and she wanted to add on a service & I just happened to have the kit with me from a previous client (had booked a tan and wanted minx toes done too).

I have found that being mobile generally I can only do what they are booked in for as I only take the kit I need for the treatments I have booked. I also have to be aware of time so I do not make myself late for the next client but anyway the paypal option is there to take a card payment (client doesn't need a paypal account but you do to accept the payment).

Sorry to be a pain but how do you actually do it ,do you get there email address and request the money and what percentage do you add on ,do you make sure thay have payed it before you leave thanks :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Just been asked by SumUp to provide verified scanned passport and bank details!
That means they would then have my photo, signature and bank details for this small machine. Think that's a bit too much to ask for! They would then have everything they could possibly use to create false accounts etc!
Wont be using them now. Will carry on looking for something else.

Sorry to be a pain but how do you actually do it ,do you get there email address and request the money and what percentage do you add on ,do you make sure thay have payed it before you leave thanks :-D

Paypal take a percent for each transaction.

**I just found this info:
To recieve money (1.4% to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP*)

I have not needed to use it very much and when I did have to use it I worked out what I would be charged beforehand:

Log in to Paypal and then go to the 'send money' tab then swap tabs within the send money transfer window from 'Purchase' to 'Personal' then choose 'gift'. Fill out your email address and the amount the client owes you (the actual service costs) then click continue, the next page will tell you how much extra the client needs to pay you and the box says 'I will pay the fee' and then the total the client needs to pay is underneath (I do not send the money this way - just use it to find out how much the fee is going to be :wink2: as I am logged into my own Paypal account).

If they have a paypal account then do as above while logged in to their Paypal account and then enter your email details and the money will go through while your there.

It is a little annoying to do all that before telling a client what they need to pay you but at least you are getting exactly what your owed and the client is paying most of the fees (you will be charged a little more than you worked out as you are adding that extra bit of money on lol).

Then when I have an order to place I use the money in my Paypal account to pay or you can transfer the funds into a bank account - I find spending it on orders easier lol.

Last edited:
Thanks yes I use pay pal all the time but never used it to be payed although I know it can be done,so really the customer can just go into there paypal and send the money to me if we agree a price :-D

Have you looked at CCS?
It's difficult to say which is the cheapest provider because it depends on many things.
If you are "new to cards" your rate will be higher for the first 6 months, if you are a member of a trade organisitation like FSB then it will be discounted. If your turnover is more than £x pa it might be cheaper, if your average transaction amount is more than £x then it might be cheaper too.
The best thing to do is to contact several companies and compare them one against another.

I did and I must thank you very much xxx

what a truly lovely and professional company to deal with.

Once I compare the info I already have I suspect they will get my business.

Thanks once again for sharing Lynne I really appreciate it x:hug:

After reading all the posts I think I will stick with cash and PayPal if needed as payment options. Thanks for all the wonderful info.

Hi Lynne Matthew from CCS rang me this morning he was very nice and professional. Unfortunately the door bell rang (mum picking up my little one) whilst speaking to him and I had to run as I was training today. He sent me an e-mail with quote. He mentioned you I think you should be on commission lol.x

Hairy Fairy
Are you using it for business? How long have you been using it? Do your clients have to up-load the app as well? Are they happy doing so? Could you give me more info on this? Is it really as simple as they make out?
Hair Fairy I've got ping it and I love it. You don't have to have a Barclays account to use it

Baggybear hi hun
I have a pay-pall account seldom use it though lol.x

Cash costs because each time you pay in cash to your business account you are charged for the transaction. So the bank doesn't charge you for money being payed into your account by card, however there is a fee taken off each transaction by your card machine supplier x

So is it best to pay cash into a personal account then transfer funds over to a business account. Sorry if I sound thick I am just getting to grips with all of this.x

Latest posts

Back