Catalysts and Initiators

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm assuming that
methyl-cyanoacrylate is similiar to the dreaded methyl-methacrylate (MMA) which in it's liquid state can trigger allergic reactions and once set is very hard making it difficult to remove and is solvent resistant to cannot be soaked off. Extensions applied using this product are extemerly hard and will not break or give and may result in the natural nail being ripped/ torn form the nail bed instead.

Ethyl cyanoacrylate as with ethyl methacrylate is the safer alternative.

Lol@ Planky!!

Actually methyl cyanoacrylate is not similar to MMA monomer as to hardness and it is not resistant to solvents either ... But you are right that Ethyl Cyanoacrylate is a safer option and it is what we use in the nail industry (well ethical companies anyway). More about that when we put the initiator for EC Resin to bed! Lol

Last edited:
From memory (oh dear!)...

Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (EC) is more refined than Methyl Cyanoacrylate (MC). EC is non-carcinogenic, and suitable for use on the human body, unlike MC. It does not break down easily in water (as MC can - in fact, it can attract water! Green nails, anyone?) and can be used on a porous surface (MC is not suitable for porous surfaces). xx

Last edited:
I am now sitting here in a fit of giggles! If anyone looked in my window they'd think I'm stark raving mad!! :lol:

I'm still thinking, finger hovering over Google :lol:

Is moisture from the nails the initiator for EC resin?:Scared:

This is what I was saying above....kind of.....:lol:

Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (EC) is more refined than Methyl Cyanoacrylate (MC). EC is non-carcinogenic, and suitable for use on the human body, unlike MC. It does not break down easily in water (as MC can - in fact, it can attract water! Green nails, anyone?) and can be used on a porous surface (MC is not suitable for porous surfaces). xx
Spot on ... But then, I would expect that ! Lol.

Moisture CAN act as a catalyst, but in this instance is not an initiator. Shall I put you out of your misery?
:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Moisture CAN act as a catalyst, but is not an initiator. Shall I put you out of your misery?
:biggrin::biggrin:

YES!!!!!!! :lol: This is driving me nuts and I have to go on a Teddy Bears Picnic in a minute! hahahahahaha

It's actually a very important thing to know. It helps you deal with lots of client questions when they want to use stick-ons and SuperGlue. :lol: keep going ... You're doing well and you're thinking (a rare thing these days). We'll get to resin later after we've finished with the initiator !!

Spot on ... But then, I would expect that ! Lol.

So MC is what is used in things like superglue and not fit for use on human skin but EC is...want to make sure I understand all this now :lol:

So MC is what is used in things like superglue and not fit for use on human skin but EC is...want to make sure I understand all this now :lol:

Correct! Super glue, which is MC, is completely unsuitable to use on the human body, and those that use it instead of buying nail adhesive, do so at the risk of nail infections, onycholysis and nail fungus. Good to know so we can advise clients WHY they should not superglue.

YES!!!!!!! :lol: This is driving me nuts and I have to go on a Teddy Bears Picnic in a minute! hahahahahaha

What if I don't know the answer?

Correct! Super glue, which is MC, is completely unsuitable to use on the human body, and those that use it instead of buying nail adhesive, do so at the risk of nail infections, onycholysis and nail fungus. Good to know so we can advise clients WHY they should not superglue.

And you mentioned about clients using stick on nails, isn't it an EC adhesive supplied in those then? :Scared:

Gigi is it the stuff in the resin that absolutely stinks and makes my eyes water that is the initiator? It has to be cause that bit goes away after so it has changed! (I bet I'm wrong lol) x

And you mentioned about clients using stick on nails, isn't it an EC adhesive supplied in those then? :Scared:

Is that not more to do with clients not sticking them on correctly and leaving air bubbles everywhere? x

Gigi is it the stuff in the resin that absolutely stinks and makes my eyes water that is the initiator? It has to be cause that bit goes away after so it has changed! (I bet I'm wrong lol) x

But what is the "stuff"?! :Scared: :Scared: :lol:

But what is the "stuff"?! :Scared: :Scared: :lol:

I have no idea, I'm currently on a train so I can't even get to a bottle of resin haha x

:Scared:

Well .... Here's the thing. There are two ingredients, Hydro Quinone (HQ) and there is the cyanoacrylate itself that could initiate the polymerisation. I have read both are initiators. Maybe they are and maybe not. I have asked Doug to clarify. Maybe we will get lucky and he will find time today to take a look?

Enjoy your picnic and thanks for playing this morning. :hug:

I believe it is EC that is in the kits, but they always gunk it up or it goes hard in the bottle and they then go out and buy superglue to replace it!

I'm assuming it's the cyanoacrylate that smells haha. Thanks Gigi :) x

Latest posts

Back