Catalysts and Initiators

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:Scared:

Well .... Here's the thing. There are two ingredients, Hydro Quinone (HQ) and there is the cyanoacrylate itself that could initiate the polymerisation. I have read both are initiators. Maybe they are and maybe not. I have asked Doug to clarify. Maybe we will get lucky and he will find time today to take a look?

Enjoy your picnic and thanks for playing this morning. :hug:

I am laughing my head off now! Gigi!! How am I going to concentrate on Teddy Bears and picnics without knowing the answer to this hahahahaha. Fingers crossed Doug will answer soon. This has been fun this morning, thank you :hug: :D

Is that not more to do with clients not sticking them on correctly and leaving air bubbles everywhere? x
DIY ers can cause problems by getting air bubbles under the tips for sure. But those who use superglue are taking a big risk, as MC resin actually attracts moisture to it !

I'm assuming it's the cyanoacrylate that smells haha. Thanks Gigi :) x

The resin and all cyanoacrylate adhesives give off vapours ... it doesn't smell as such but the vapours can be very irritating to the eyes and nasal passages. You should not work too close to the source. Neither should you breathe too much Activator spray as it can irritate the lungs.

This has been fun this morning, thank you :hug: :D
I totally agree with Planky, Thank you Geeg :)

Tomorrow will ensure there is pen and paper beside me to write up notes on all this :)

How fabulous that there are some technicians that are interested enough to get into this whole understanding of nail 'systems'!!!

I'm not going to plough in too much but I will say that the cyanoacrylate reaction is very different from the L&P reaction!!!! In the same general family but that is all!!

Think cross links; linear linkages; hydrogen bonds....................

Love it!

How fabulous that there are some technicians that are interested enough to get into this whole understanding of nail 'systems'!!!

I'm not going to plough in too much but I will say that the cyanoacrylate reaction is very different from the L&P reaction!!!! In the same general family but that is all!!

Love it!

Thank you too, mum.
(Blimey that's a sentence I'd never thought I'd say again haha.)

I'm loving the great wealth of knowledge you both willingly share, and for free.. Amazing ladies 💝

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing ur knowledge as always Geeg an Marian very interesting reading.

Very much enjoyed reading an informative science thread, thanks to all :green:

Thank you for this thread, it's great, I have taken lots of notes! :) x

Love it!
Does your heart good doesn't it?

There's allot more where this came from :lol:

Those who are interested only have to ask.

Love it!

I'm still giggling this morning at how lost I got yesterday, don't you start :wink2: :lol:

You, Geeg and Envy amaze me with your knowledge, this thread has been an amazing little nugget of information and learning, so thank you to you too, I've loved it and looking forward to more answers on this :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Does your heart good doesn't it?

There's allot more where this came from :lol:

Those who are interested only have to ask.

I did ask, did a thread a while ago asking if we could have some science topics and Envy kindly did a couple for us. I love this type of thing. Makes such interesting reading and learning and a welcome change to "what shellac colour shall I buy?" ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

The new OP never revisited the site after posting :eek: but I can guarantee she never will have got the information served up in this thread from her college tutor!! :green:

As to science topics ... If people ask, they will be answered.

The new OP never revisited the site after posting :eek: but I can guarantee she never will have got the information served up in this thread from her college tutor!! :green:

As to science topics ... If people ask, they will be answered.

You're totally right Geeg, when I was a tutor we would never have been given enough time to cover this level of information, which is a shame as I think it only help us to be better if we understand the science behind how these products works. Hence one of the reasons 18 months ago, after 7 years of teaching, I left and I opened my own salon so I know that the job I am doing is not only one I love but one that is being done properly :)

You're totally right Geeg, when I was a tutor we would never have been given enough time to cover this level of information, which is a shame as I think it only help us to be better if we understand the science behind how these products works. Hence one of the reasons 18 months ago, after 7 years of teaching, I left and I opened my own salon so I know that the job I am doing is not only one I love but one that is being done properly :)

I know, I know! :|

To be honest and blunt ... Most college tutors would not even know the information in this thread to teach even if they had the time. This is really not beginner information; this is Master Class information and I have been teaching it for years to our CND Master Class students. So bravo to you if you knew it already ... You are a rarity and its a shame the college has lost you ... But a bonus for your clients.

:hug:

I know, I know! :|

To be honest and blunt ... Most college tutors would not even know the information in this thread to teach even if they had the time. This is really not beginner information; this is Master Class information and I have been teaching it for years to our CND Master Class students. So bravo to you if you knew it already ... You are a rarity and its a shame the college has lost you ... But a bonus for your clients.

:hug:

Thank you, that's a lovely thing to say. I've been lucky to have some fantastic training over my 20 years of doing beauty/nails, including from CND and I'm very much of the opinion 'you can't know too much!' I believe that by truly understanding how products work it is then that you get the best from them and yourself and then so do your clients. I have a chocka block salon after only 18 months of opening so I'm happy with how things are going :)

Brilliant thread...we went over this topic (no way on earth can I spell any of the chemical names and processes so I will just say this topic!) briefly on the Brisa conversion course and its great to have it here in black and white with Gigi and Marian explaining in good old plain English...thank you so much ladies :hug:

Thank you, that's a lovely thing to say. I've been lucky to have some fantastic training over my 20 years of doing beauty/nails, including from CND and I'm very much of the opinion 'you can't know too much!' I believe that by truly understanding how products work it is then that you get the best from them and yourself and then so do your clients. I have a chocka block salon after only 18 months of opening so I'm happy with how things are going :)

The good ones, the knowledgeable ones and the skilled and dedicated ones are the ones who have chocca block full salons after only 18 months!! In these days, that says it all about you as a therapist and technician. The 'messers' should take note. :lol:

The good ones, the knowledgeable ones and the skilled and dedicated ones are the ones who have chocca block full salons after only 18 months!! In these days, that says it all about you as a therapist and technician. The 'messers' should take note. :lol:

exactly and they aren't doing sets of nails for a tenner either!

I got all excited sat in the car outside gymnastics this eve, whilst reading through my old level 2 book from last year (The Encyclopaedia of Nails - Jefford and Swain) chemistry section caught my eye... Chapter 5 :)
I remember trying to read and understand last year and then glossing over it.
What a difference a year makes and of course this thread too :) it made so much more sense when I read it this eve :)

Latest posts

Back