Changing colour on acrylic tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph001

Reaction score
I have not been using coloured acrylic for long and was just wandering, if my client has 1 colour done for a new set and then wants to change the colour on their next appointment, will I need to remove most of the orig product? Or just the tip colour? Or should I try and get them to stick to the same colour then they only need a re-balance?, :confused:

I have not been using coloured acrylic for long and was just wandering, if my client has 1 colour done for a new set and then wants to change the colour on their next appointment, will I need to remove most of the orig product? Or just the tip colour? Or should I try and get them to stick to the same colour then they only need a re-balance?, :confused:

You do not have to remove the whole enhancement to start again. You can remove the coloured tip area, file in a new smile line and then sculpt out a new coloured tip.

If your clients want to keep changing their tip colours then I would not do a permanent service instead I would paint a coloured French. It lasts, it looks great, and it is simple to do. You can do glitter French and all sorts with polish. I never do coloured tips with coloured powders unless specifically asked for it. Waste of time.

You do not have to remove the whole enhancement to start again. You can remove the coloured tip area, file in a new smile line and then sculpt out a new coloured tip.

If your clients want to keep changing their tip colours then I would not do a permanent service instead I would paint a coloured French. It lasts, it looks great, and it is simple to do. You can do glitter French and all sorts with polish. I never do coloured tips with coloured powders unless specifically asked for it. Waste of time.

Hi Geeg, this is really interesting. I have been asked by one of my clients if I can change the colour of her acrylics at her next infill, which is tomorrow evening. They are currently the standard white and pink sculpts. I do have coloured acrylic powders but really hate using them as they are not a nice consistancy.

My question is in the above are you saying I can just use normal nail polish to colour the tip and cover with the gel top coat as I normally would? :Love:

Hi Geeg, this is really interesting. I have been asked by one of my clients if I can change the colour of her acrylics at her next infill, which is tomorrow evening. They are currently the standard white and pink sculpts. I do have coloured acrylic powders but really hate using them as they are not a nice consistancy.

My question is in the above are you saying I can just use normal nail polish to colour the tip and cover with the gel top coat as I normally would? :Love:

I don't cover with a gel top coat as this generally does not work over polish that is not dry.

If using normal polish I would use LUMOS bottom coat .. the colour on the tip, or the glitter colour, and then one or two coats of LUMOS Top Coat.

If you do not have the incredible fast drying LUMOS just use whichever top and bottom coat you use now. Polish lasts for weeks on enhancements when you use really good products.

It makes no sense to me to use L&P or traditional gels for coloured tips unless the client wants the same colour or glitter permanently.

Thanks Geeg.....I currently use NSI Glaze 'N' Go over my enhancements which protects them and makes them really shiny, so if I use normal polish are you saying I cannot use this over the top even if I wait for the polish to dry?

Could I use gel polish to colour the tip?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am understanding you fully :)

Thanks Geeg.....I currently use NSI Glaze 'N' Go over my enhancements which protects them and makes them really shiny, so if I use normal polish are you saying I cannot use this over the top even if I wait for the polish to dry?

Could I use gel polish to colour the tip?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am understanding you fully :)

I don't use Glaze and Go so I cannot comment on that ... does it work over polish that is not fully dry? If it does, then cool.

I do allot of coloured French with Shellac. But this needs to be buffed off. You can remove it very quickly by hand or with an efile even quicker.

Glaze 'N' Go is a UV gel topcoat that goes on like a nail polish. I have tried it over nail polish but it just lifts off, so this may not work........hmmmmmmm

I use glaze and go on my polishes and it's fine I do one hand of polish then the other and then glaze and go xx

I use glaze and go on my polishes and it's fine I do one hand of polish then the other and then glaze and go xx

Is this over nail enhancements or just on your natural nail? :lol:

Is this over nail enhancements or just on your natural nail? :lol:

I do it on both natural and nail enhancements :biggrin:

I do it on both natural and nail enhancements :biggrin:

Now I am confused because if this works than why bother with buying gel polishes? Does it last well? :confused:

Now I am confused because if this works than why bother with buying gel polishes? Does it last well? :confused:

Yes it does last well i had an opi nail varnish and glaze and go and i lasted 3 weeks and I have gel polishes aswel I use them to but if someone likes my normal opi nail varnish and wants that colour then I use that with my glaze and go and I have my gel polishes for natural nails to but gelish don't have similar colours to opi that I like and visa versa so it makes sence to me to have both lol :biggrin:

I've used glaze and go over polish before but only over buff off gel. I find it's too hard to go over soak off gels or natural nails and ends up cracking.

You still have to buff off glaze and go though.

I see what you mean! :)

Hi guys!! I'm so sorry, SUPER off topic lol :/ but I seem to be having serious problems navigating this site on my phone lol!!

Can you guys please help me I'm trying to fins the NSI group!? I got told there was one but tried searching and for the life of me can't find one :rolleyes:

Hi guys!! I'm so sorry, SUPER off topic lol :/ but I seem to be having serious problems navigating this site on my phone lol!!

Can you guys please help me I'm trying to fins the NSI group!? I got told there was one but tried searching and for the life of me can't find one :rolleyes:

I think sometimes you can't access everything on a phone you just go into groups and there you have it it should be there :wink2:

Thank you so much!! I will try again last night i went to groups and tried NSI and it didn't work lol will try again thanks again x

Thank you so much!! I will try again last night i went to groups and tried NSI and it didn't work lol will try again thanks again x

Sorry to sound dissagreable but in my opinion, polishing the tips a different colour on acrylic nails is nothing like the look that you get when you do the tip with coloured powder.
By the time you have waited for polish and topcoats to dry you could have filed off enough old acrylic and replaced it with new coloured acrylic.

A very fast way to change tip colour is to clip most of it off then remove the rest with your file and sculpt a new tip on.
If you arent a sculptress, simply thin the tip and use a different colour over it. With this method its easier if yoy dont try to go from say black tips to white or anything translucent. It really isnt all that time consuming.

Latest posts

Back