Changing my salon name - Opinions please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
When I opened my salon in January this year (well, it's a room in a hairdressers but I trade under a separate name and have my own shop front signage etc), I struggled to think of a name I really like. I tried allsorts and nothing seemed right. Days before the salon opened, I really needed to make a decision, and my husband suggested Aphrodite Nail Design (Aphrodite being the greek goddess of Beauty). I wasnt 100% keen, but it was a name, it wasnt offensive, and beginning with A it comes to the top of the yellow pages listing:lol:. So, Aphrodite it was.

Anyway, months down the line, I've never really gelled with the name (pardon the pun!). It's a bit of a mouthful when answering the phone, and a lot of my customers dont know what it means or even how to pronounce it.

Now, I've thought of a name that I absolutely love. The only problem is that I have got an illuminted sign in the shop window with the Aphrodite logo, an A board outside the shop, I had loads of business cards, loyalty cards & gift vouchers printed, and I had a load of leaflets printed, some of which have been delivered, some of which have been kept back for a repeat delivery. I could have the shop front signage changed easily, but the stationery would have to be discarded if I decided to change the name now.

So, just thinking out loud, I thought that I could have three options:

1) Deliver the leaflets, use the stationery, then down the line when they run out, get new stuff printed saying the new salon name, then in brackets (formerly known as Aphrodite), and ease into the new name that way (by the way if I did change the name I would have a little re-launch, open evening etc)

2) Write off the existing stationery and have new leaflets printed now detailing the new name and former name in brackets. Might be best done while the business is still relatively new although it would have to be for some value to the business as I cant justify writing off a load of stationery just because I dont like the name.

3) Dont bother at all - what's in a name?

So, do you have any views on this? Do you think that it can really make a difference to a business to change it's name if the current name isnt going down well? I'd really appreciate your opinions and details of any experience you may have on the subject.

Well.I know if it was me, I wouldnt be able to keep a name I wasnt a 100% happy with, and I think it does make a difference,its a part of your identity, its your business your baby iykwim.... again I would do whats probably the silliest thing and write of your stationary and get new..but thats me. I am to impatient to wait...xxx

Chelle, I have been in exactly your situation, although I don't have a salon. I renamed my business due to my website and listings etc., and like you I swithered what to do with my existing stationary etc., and decided in the end to bin the lot and start again.

It is horrible binning it all but what is the point of keeping up your old name if you don't like it? Start afresh hun. :hug:

Im having help from a business adviser to set up my mobile beauty business. I was putting time and effort into the name and he told me that the name of the business was not too important. He also said that a business fails or succeeds depending on the drive and determination of the person running it not the business itself or its name. I am very green on this I must admit, but it does make sense. Good Luck whatever you decide x

Well.I know if it was me, I wouldnt be able to keep a name I wasnt a 100% happy with, and I think it does make a difference,its a part of your identity, its your business your baby iykwim.... again I would do whats probably the silliest thing and write of your stationary and get new..but thats me. I am to impatient to wait...xxx

think id probs do the same flower

:hug:

what about writing a little note on the stationary withe the news of changing names and stating what the new name will be then when all that runs out order new set with the new name ?

If it were me I'd bin the old stuff and start a fresh...it'll be playing on your mind until your happy!

xx

Well, to be honest I would probably advise to see how the finances are going. If you are making money and have some to spare (!) then, rebrand. Do it once and be proud. Have a relaunch night, write press releases to local mags and papers, write to customers (it would give you a chance to offer them incentive to come back in and get a treatment if they haven't been there for a while). If you're going to do it, put your back into it (so to speak). Bin the old paperwork, and just go for it!

However, if you are just making do, I would hold fire, and wait and see......

Just my opinion (and I know I've been grumpy so kick me if I start to abuse people).

I'd go with option 1. You've coped with the name for a while so why throw good money away on more stationary etc.
With the credit crunch I guess most techs are trying to save money and if you're already established your clients won't care much what your business name is tbh.x

The last clinic I rented space from rebranded after having opened for 4 years & we did it by first telling people we were thinking of changing the name, then we put a few name ideas & logos on the reception desk & asked for opinions. All the while we were using up the old leaflets so that when we came to rebrand no-one thought we had been 'taken over' or were a new business, and it gave them a chance to feel involved, as well as being free customer research!

I'd not want to throw it away, besides the money aspect I'd be thinking of wasting resources...but that's just my green streak! Perhaps do as someone else suggested & as you give it out tell them of the impending name change, or even staple a piece of paper telling them of it to the existing leaflets until you are ready to invest in rebranding.

mmmm, not sure. How badly do you hate the name ??? I just worry that you have a recognised name out there already and a reputation, if you change it will people think its changed hands and go to another ?? I dont know hun. Look at Argos - whats that about, crap name, makes a fortune and a household name ?? I think unless you really really really cant live with it, I would stick with it perhaps ?? Its quite costly to change aswell isnt it. Think the decision is down to you, either go for it or put it to the back of your mind xxxxxxx

Keep it, in Business its common for many people to waste so much money and thats exactly what you will be doing here. To me the name seems great and when answering the phone why not just say A.N.D? Also if you really put your mind to it you really could do some great stuff with those initials.

Hi again peeps. Thanks for all your advice.

I've decided (reluctantly) to keep the name. I dont absolutely HATE it, but I'm just not keen. The thing that sparked me to consider a change was a few clients who didnt know how to pronounce it and didnt know what it meant (uncultured yobs they are:lol:).

Anyway, having given it some careful thought I've decided it should stay. It would be a costly exercise and I think that if I have money to spend, there are far better things to invest in than a name if the name I have isnt offensive, even if it isnt one that I completely love.

Thankyou all for your input, it really has helped me to reach a decision.

Latest posts

Back