Charge or not to charge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a pamper evening coming up for tommorow im wondering should i offer Free facial spray tans that night and charge for half body and full body or do you think i should charge for facial tans?

Reason i though of charging free for face is once they fill out a consultation card i then have the clients number and email to send out my special offers etc.

What do you think?

hmmm not sure - they might ALL say they want just their faces done then you wont have made anything ! I would do a 'special offer for tonight only' on faces maybe ?

I personally don't know why anyone would want just a face tan! I have sprayed someone in my salon and other customers i've had in the hair salon have decided to have one there and then just by seeing the end result. Are you going to someones house? If so maybe you could offer the host a discounted tan and then when the others see it they may want one. I get people coming in for tans just cos theyve seen their own friends tans that i had done before. Could you get someone to spray you before so they can see it on you?

Firstly you have to gain their permission to use their details for promotion at a later date. Secondly, by all means offer the facial tan free of charge, but ONLY if you think you are going to gain enough new clients from it to cover your costs. You will already have a captive audience there so let them instead see how great their friends looks in her tan, the friend that has PAID YOU! :green:

I am a bugger at giving people freebies, I love doing it, but for various reasons it has struck home to me lately that I am running a business, and the purpose of a business is to make money and not just to have fun. So work out your costings first, and then if it looks good go for it! :hug:

Its a pamper night at my local school there are around 30 other tables there and im the only spray tanner.

So there wouldnt be anyone else there tanned i can have a tan myself so people will be able to see what it looks like etc.

Maybe i should charge then i was thinking of charging 3.50 for facial and neck and 10 of half body and 15 for a full body where as i usually charge 20

xx

I think tanning yourself is as good an advert as any. Could you not have a form for potential clients to fill in if they are interested in knowing about offers etc. Give out a business card and leaflet to everyone who comes over too.

Pure - I had to have a little giggle to myself as I am exactly the same as you! freebies here and there to friends, no wonder I am still not getting any money yet!

HTH

Pure - I had to have a little giggle to myself as I am exactly the same as you! freebies here and there to friends, no wonder I am still not getting any money yet!

Not just friends, I can't seem to say no to anyone!!! :rolleyes:

how about you set a price for a facial tan then half it for them that way your still making money ..now days we cant afford to give freebies lol

x

I would charge for everything else you could find yourself inundated for the freebies, leaving no time for those wanting the paying body treatments. If you want to offer something for free, then offer the face free or half price when having the body.

I never offer freebies - except for charitable events - as I feel it diminishes the worth of our service. What we do is worth money, and costs money to perform, so charge for it!

Charge for it all chick. I find customers wanting something for nothing will not be willing to pay for more treatments in the long run. Just my opinion. I'd rather give my regulars a nice little freebie once in a while xxx

Charge mate....its not a hobby it's your life x

There comes a point when you just have to charge your worth. I had a client in the other day getting 2 treatments done who asked me if she could have a special :confused:. . . i explained what this months special was and that it didn't include either of the treatments she had. You have a price list you should stick to it otherwise you start feeling guilty when you start chargeing your clients the proper price!

how about getting one of your friends to pose for a demo ?? that will get people interested

how about getting one of your friends to pose for a demo ?? that will get people interested

Excellent suggestion from sparkle.
Another thing you could do is say £2 from every full body tan goes to..... and pick your fav charity or money from face tans goes to fav charity.
But I would stick with having a friend to demo on. You need to build up your business with solid clients not all the randoms who are just looking for a freebee:hug:

I would charge for everything else you could find yourself inundated for the freebies, leaving no time for those wanting the paying body treatments. If you want to offer something for free, then offer the face free or half price when having the body.
If you offer the face free when having the body that means you have to have a price for a body without the face! If you do a full body then the face is always included. You'll start confusing people if you have different prices for different body parts-lol.
Stick to full body/half body.
Get yourself tanned as a walking advert or as someone suggested, take a friend that you have sprayed.

Thanks guys for helping me make my mind up! I will charge sometimes im too nice and give freebies away i will charge 3.50 for the facial tan (that doesnt set people back too much) as i usually charge 5.00 for facial tan.

I have had my spray tan tonight :green: my giddy gosh it was cold :eek: hence why i dont have tans weekly hehe...

So that should give potential clients an idea of what the tan will turn out like. ive not gone too dark as sometimes it can put people off ( i like to be quite dark)

Im so hoping it goes well tommorow as this would be a big break for my business as its been slow so slow

wish me luck :green:
again thanks so much for your help your like my beauty agony aunts :lol:

I think just charge for full body but maybe if you usually charge £20 charge £15 as a promotional one off offer that way the ladies will be getting £5 off.
I would ask them all to fill in record cards, then you will have everyones details.
Just an idea but you coul do a raffle as well £1 per ticket/strip and the winner gets a voucher for their next spray tan with you - that way you will be getting them into your shop and could be a new client, also you could get a few pounds for yourself as well if you sell over 20 tickets!
Hope that helps
Good luck
let us all know how it goes.
Love Emma xx

Done the pamper night last night and it went fantastic :green: had 5 tans altogether. Had a fun night and gave out my leaflets to loads of people so i hope i gained some new clients :green:xx

I was just wondering as an Ozzie, is it not a little odd having just a face tan? What happens if you have your hands near your face? You would have really white hands and a really dark face?:eek:
I would just have full or half body...give people to much choice and they can't make up their minds!!! As for not charging (I know it is a little after event now) we arn't charity, we have to feed our families and pay our bills, restock our products, and I think that having value added to a treatment is far better than discounting in the long term i.e., a free nail paint with every spray tan. That way they get something they may have again, you don't loose a whole amount of time or money and it is just a tiny amount of product! Then you might have spray tan and pedicure client!!!!
Pleased that your event was a success and I am sure that you will have many future booking from it.

I was just wondering as an Ozzie, is it not a little odd having just a face tan? What happens if you have your hands near your face? You would have really white hands and a really dark face?:eek:
I would just have full or half body...give people to much choice and they can't make up their minds!!! As for not charging (I know it is a little after event now) we arn't charity, we have to feed our families and pay our bills, restock our products, and I think that having value added to a treatment is far better than discounting in the long term i.e., a free nail paint with every spray tan. That way they get something they may have again, you don't loose a whole amount of time or money and it is just a tiny amount of product! Then you might have spray tan and pedicure client!!!!
Pleased that your event was a success and I am sure that you will have many future booking from it.

I think face tans are for those you are already brown and just want their face a bit more tanned. I do have just face tans as it replaces wearing make up.
I did charge for all options glad i did now! xx

Latest posts

Back