Charging for missed appointment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
I had a new client a few months ago. She rebooked for an appointment and didn't turn up for it. I rang her and she apologised for not turning up stating her daughter's ill health. I asked if she would like to re-book which she did.

she didn't turn up for that appointment either.

I sent her a bill for the 2nd missed appointment and sent it by recorded delivery. I asked her to pay by a certain date.

She hasn't paid.

I emailed her to say I hadn't received her payment and if I didn't get any response from her, I would pass it on to my legal representatives, and again gave a date for her to pay by.

She hasn't paid up or responded in any way.

I have just emailed her now to state that I will be in work next week and if no payment has been received, it will be passed on to my legal representatives.

My approach has been firm but fair, have stated clearly what I expect and have given deadlines to work towards.

Could I have handled this better? Any tips on how to proceed from here.

Did you make it clear when you booked her in the second time that there would be a charge if she missed the appointment (or notice of cancellation/whatever your terms are)?

If you did, then she may just be hoping that you will not take it further.

It has not happened to me yet but on the second booking I would ask for a deposit. This way if they do not turn up you have some compensation for the lost time. This is of course easier if you have a credit card machine - I would not be without mine! It is quite heavy to threaten legal action and carry it thrrough - this saves a really awkward scenario.:)

Its a difficult one as im not really sure where you can go from here other than just forgetting about it.

How much was the bill for ? If you were to get a private debt collection company involved my guess would be they would charge more than the missed appointment is worth with no garauntee you would ever get the money from the client.

I think that as annoying as it is its probably best to just leave it now.

In all honesty she probably thinks you are bluffing on the legal side of things which is why she is making no move to pay anything.

i think you may have went overboard threatening legal action, it would end up costing you more than what she owes you.. i know it can be annoying when someone doesnt show for an appointment, iv had it happen to me also but i would rather just forget about it, its more hassle than its worth and also she is going to be bad mouthing you to her friends and family because of it so you may be missing out on potential clients too

It has not happened to me yet but on the second booking I would ask for a deposit. This way if they do not turn up you have some compensation for the lost time. This is of course easier if you have a credit card machine - I would not be without mine! It is quite heavy to threaten legal action and carry it thrrough - this saves a really awkward scenario.:)
Really good suggestion . . I might start doing this as we occasionally have no-shows and it's really annoying if they do it twice. Once and I usually just swallow it though, as most of our clients are regulars and therefore on the whole, very reliable.

Hi

Have just read your note and replies. I have had my own business now for over a year, and have experienced no shows and late cancellations. When the salon has a no show or cancellation we call the client and let them rebook, but advise that if the appointment is cancelled with less than 24hrs notice or they miss the appointment they will have to pay a deposit on thier next booking. This has proved to work very well in the salon, it has cut down the no shows and late cancellations. I hope that this will help you and good luck.

I have started taking a small deposit even if i know the person really well. A client i knew well booked for a hollywood and texed my daughter to say she would be late, this went on untill 8.30pm when i refused to do it as her app was for 6pm.
As for the legalities i'm not sure, you have now sent her two e.mails stating if she does not pay you will pass the bill to your legal representatives, she has ignored this. If you dont carry out your actions you could become a 'game' to her and who she decides to tell. However if you do carry out your actions it could cost you alot, by legal representatives did you mean bayliffs or small claims court. There is no guarantee (sp) you would get your money or costs. Did the women know if she did not show up a second time she would be charged, do you have it in writing even on one of your treatment lists.
Its very hard one to decide.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back