Cheeky client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sparkle

Reaction score
I thought I'd tell you about a cheeky client I had yesterday that made me feel down all day :(

She had only booked a 30 minute appointment for a back massage, and arrived 10 minutes late, but then claimed "it wasn't my fault as my watch says 1pm", at this point it was 1.10.

I then said I was happy to treat her but that I had to be out of the room promptly as another therapist had booked it for 1.45 and I needed to clear away as well.

She then said "would I have to pay full price?" I said yes initially but then said she could have it for £20 (usually £25).

So anyway I gave her the massage, let her get changed then afterwards she said, "Are you a qualified physiotherapist? Because if you are I can get it reimbursed from Medicare?" I said no, but that the therapist after me was so maybe she could book in with her? She then asked if that phyiotherapist did massage, I said, no, she does acupuncture.

She then went to pay. AND REPEATED the same questions to the shop staff. She then asked if I could sign a receipt to say I'd given her the treatment, so "she could see if she could get it reimbursed". I signed for a back massage treatment. She then asked if I could say I'd given her a "sports" back massage as she thought that could be reimbursed. I said no as I'm not qualified in sports massage and I'm not going to sign for something that I'm not qualified in. She then said she'd originally requested a sports back massage (this was the first time she'd mentioned this) so could I write it on the form. I repeated no and said if she wants a sport back massage she should see the sports massage therapist, I told her the times she comes in. She then said, "no, it's fine, don't worry" and left.

All that to get £20 refunded???

I thought I'd tell you about a cheeky client I had yesterday that made me feel down all day :(

She had only booked a 30 minute appointment for a back massage, and arrived 10 minutes late, but then claimed "it wasn't my fault as my watch says 1pm", at this point it was 1.10.

I then said I was happy to treat her but that I had to be out of the room promptly as another therapist had booked it for 1.45 and I needed to clear away as well.

She then said "would I have to pay full price?" I said yes initially but then said she could have it for £20 (usually £25).

So anyway I gave her the massage, let her get changed then afterwards she said, "Are you a qualified physiotherapist? Because if you are I can get it reimbursed from Medicare?" I said no, but that the therapist after me was so maybe she could book in with her? She then asked if that phyiotherapist did massage, I said, no, she does acupuncture.

She then went to pay. AND REPEATED the same questions to the shop staff. She then asked if I could sign a receipt to say I'd given her the treatment, so "she could see if she could get it reimbursed". I signed for a back massage treatment. She then asked if I could say I'd given her a "sports" back massage as she thought that could be reimbursed. I said no as I'm not qualified in sports massage and I'm not going to sign for something that I'm not qualified in. She then said she'd originally requested a sports back massage (this was the first time she'd mentioned this) so could I write it on the form. I repeated no and said if she wants a sport back massage she should see the sports massage therapist, I told her the times she comes in. She then said, "no, it's fine, don't worry" and left.

All that to get £20 refunded???

The resession is bringing out the worst in people! They have no shame at all, I'd be mortified if I behaved like that. Look on the bright side, she probably won't come back because she has to pay herself! :wink2:

Yes some people always want a freebe, they are really ridiculous sometimes!  what cracks me up is that normally these sort of people have plenty of money!! I just wouldn't book her in again if she tried, just laugh about it,you did the right thing, there are plenty more where she came from! 

Well can you beat this!! I had a lady in for a pedicure I left the room to get some water for the pedicure bowl , i have a home salon and when I returned to the room she had helped herself to my nail varnish and was painting her own nails can you believe it I was gobsmacked !!! I charged her for a tidy and paint lol, she never came back thank goodness

Well can you beat this!! I had a lady in for a pedicure I left the room to get some water for the pedicure bowl , i have a home salon and when I returned to the room she had helped herself to my nail varnish and was painting her own nails can you believe it I was gobsmacked !!! I charged her for a tidy and paint lol, she never came back thank goodness

Good for you charging her!!! I dont think I would know how to say, Im charging you for that, I wish I could, I really need to toughen up a bit!!

Oh gawsh! Some people eh?

To be fair I usually do my cheeky/cute smile and go: can I have a student discount by any chance? :D sometimes they agree to give me a bit off so it's always worth a shot haha x

haha this made me giggle. I had a client a few weeks ago for a mini pedicure which she has every 6-8weeks, which dosnt bother me because she dosnt have a polish so the time i save on that i do more on her feet. she asked me for a signed receipt which i said ofcourse, she then went on to tell me that she was able to get her money back because it was a medical treatment (i'm guessing along the same lines as your client) I was abit confused so her husband went to get a book which said she could get her money back if she had any (excuse my spelling) cheropody work done, i explained i wasnt a qualfied cheropodist in which they both looked shocked, they then went on to ask me how could i be going around doing treatments on clients if i wasnt qualfied, haha i explained i was a qualfied beautician and so on, they still looked bedazzled and said surely i shouldnt be doing pedicures if i wasnt a trained cheropodist, i explained further but i still think they think i'm some kind of cowboy... she still comes back to me though :lol:

All of these posts made me giggle....to a point. We will all have those clients who try to 'get over.'

We had a client who would repeatedly call on day 13 to complain that her Shellac didn't last for 14 days so she wanted it redone for free. Each time she came in for a re-service, her Shellac was removed (big No-No there because we should have to see it first) and she'd drink at least 2 glasses of champagne! After she'd been to each of us for a re-service, we finally realized what she was doing. She had received her first Shellac service as a promo for 50% off so she paid $16.50 and she received 4 more free re-services because she complained it only lasted 13 days.

Our Concierge staff intercepted her next bullsh*t phone call and told her she was welcome to come back; however, she would have to pay full price and told her that if her Shellac wasn't lasting, she must not be taking care of her nails properly and that the Salon and the Nail Professionals could not be held responsible.

She never came back.

All of these posts made me giggle....to a point. We will all have those clients who try to 'get over.'

We had a client who would repeatedly call on day 13 to complain that her Shellac didn't last for 14 days so she wanted it redone for free. Each time she came in for a re-service, her Shellac was removed (big No-No there because we should have to see it first) and she'd drink at least 2 glasses of champagne! After she'd been to each of us for a re-service, we finally realized what she was doing. She had received her first Shellac service as a promo for 50% off so she paid $16.50 and she received 4 more free re-services because she complained it only lasted 13 days.

Our Concierge staff intercepted her next bullsh*t phone call and told her she was welcome to come back; however, she would have to pay full price and told her that if her Shellac wasn't lasting, she must not be taking care of her nails properly and that the Salon and the Nail Professionals could not be held responsible.

She never came back.

Amazing, how can people look you in the eye after trying to get one over on you :)

Latest posts

Back