Children behaving while doing mum's nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi There have been threads on this before and the general consensus was that children do not belong where nails are being done. Easier said than done. I tell my clients when they phone that I am unable to have children present due to the chemicals I use.
This is a bit hard in a salon but perhaps if you just mention to mum something like this "It might be a good idea if the kiddies didn't come again as my insurance is void if I carry out services with children present." Explain to her the dangers of the chemicals.
Who would bring their kids anyway, its supposed to be a relaxing time lol
hth
Karen xx

I think I'm with Karen here, having your nails done is supposed to be relaxing time for mum, although my children are well behaved, I wouldn't take them with me to a salon in case they get curious, my daughter has a habit of picking up things and putting them down whilst I am doing nails on the nail trainer and I can imagine that if I took her to a salon she would do the same :lol::lol:

God, from a clients prespective I HATE unruly children in a Salon. Whether you're in the middle of getting a service or waiting to get one. The parents should be shot! You go to a Salon to have a relaxing time, you or the beautician/nail artist/hairdresser shouldn't have to put up with brats.

I realise how hard it must be to tell a client to control their child as it's really a reflection on their parenting skills - and some of them might take offence.

I think in most cases all it would take is reminding the mother of all the chemicals used in the Acrylic process.

But remember, the alternative is if something DID happen and a child got Primer, Acrylic Powder or Acetone in their eyes the Mother would immediately blame YOU.

If you want to be children free explain the dangers of chemicals used if they are spilt.

If you want to let children come maybe you can put an unobtrusive notice in you waiting room or reception area about "Due to chemicals used in the nail process, Children must be controlled at all times. Parents with uncontrolled/unruly children may be asked to leave the salon and a refund will not be issued. The Managment"

God, from a clients prespective I HATE unruly children in a Salon. Whether you're in the middle of getting a service or waiting to get one. The parents should be shot! You go to a Salon to have a relaxing time, you or the beautician/nail artist/hairdresser shouldn't have to put up with brats.

I realise how hard it must be to tell a client to control their child as it's really a reflection on their parenting skills - and some of them might take offence.

I think in most cases all it would take is reminding the mother of all the chemicals used in the Acrylic process.

But remember, the alternative is if something DID happen and a child got Primer, Acrylic Powder or Acetone in their eyes the Mother would immediately blame YOU.

If you want to be children free explain the dangers of chemicals used if they are spilt.

If you want to let children come maybe you can put an unobtrusive notice in you waiting room or reception area about "Due to chemicals used in the nail process, Children must be controlled at all times. Parents with uncontrolled/unruly children may be asked to leave the salon and a refund will not be issued. The Managment"

I agree here that if something DID happen to the child,the parent would blame you and for something that is not your fault.

Yes its hard getting a babysitter,but we all find one in the end,even if mates are looking after your kids,you do the favour back to them.

Look at the bigger picture here,you could get sued , closed down because you have a child who should not really come with theeir mum. Stick to your guns and stress NO CHILDREN.

In my opinion? No kids whilst treatments are being performed and I'm looking at this from both a therapist's and mum's point of view.

As a mum I took my baby/toddler to have my nails done. It was meant to be 'me time' but I wasn't relaxed and although was as vigilant as possible, I felt she might have been slightly disruptive for the other clients who were trying to enjoy 'their time'.

As a therapist I have experienced toddlers climbing all over mummy so that she can't sit still. I have had tools and promotional acessories destroyed and the appointment ends up taking much longer which is no good if you have clients back to back.

And I agree, if there was an unfortunate mishap resulting in injury to the child, the therapist would not have a leg to stand on!

A polite but bold notice (or as Geeg says, a humorous one) should be prominently displayed and this should be included on the price menus.

Thanks for all the advise.. I think their safety comes first (and my butt) I will just have to be strong and tell them straight that if at all possible kids are not allowed to come and if they do then they are to sit still and colour in etc...
I an nervous all ready.

If a client brings a badly behaved kid in I actually say something to the kid and tell it to sit still and behave and I also explain to the mother about the chemicals. They will either not bring their kid in next time (all good) or they wont come back (again, all good cos I don't want someone coming in with a kid anyway). Win/Win situation.:green:

If a client brings a badly behaved kid in I actually say something to the kid and tell it to sit still and behave and I also explain to the mother about the chemicals. They will either not bring their kid in next time (all good) or they wont come back (again, all good cos I don't want someone coming in with a kid anyway). Win/Win situation.:green:

Sorry but i disagree with you here. You can lose alot of clients doing it your way. Why not,put a nice freindly sign up or say its not really the place for kids,so its "your" time so spend it enjoying the treatment.

I do not allow kids in attendance whislt performing a service on their mother/carer......I have a notice up suggested by Victoria and I used it word for wod.

I had THE MOST horrendous 'Damien 666' child in...see this thread i started
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/64886-clients-kids.html

If you take the time to read this, you'll understand why I no longer accept kids in the 'salon'.
The ONLY exception, are if they bring another person to whisk them out of the way!

Latest posts

Back