Children's Clothing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingertips ND

Brand New Mummy Geek
Reaction score
I haven't been on for a while as i'm not doing nails (Tilly Ann does them for me now).

I want a bit of advice and thought I could call on my geeky friends.

I am looking into opening a children's affordable designer clothes shop in our village.

How many of you would spend that little bit extra/do spend that little bit extra on your child's clothing.
Do you buy designer all the time?
Do you buy designer on special occasions?
How many times have you visited a children's clothing boutique?

Any advice/info would be great and if anyone knows anyone who has opened one and can give tips, etc. that would be fab.

Thanks.

To be honest I buy most of my kiddies clothes second hand off the internet, so that I can get named brands and have the quality and yet not have to pay the price.

The only boutique I have been into and love is one in Cornwall, so when we go on holiday down there I always treat the girls.

I will buy my children designer clothes if they are going somwhere nice like a party or a wedding but the rest of the time they wear mostly next clothes I also think tesco clothes are excellent. I do like to wonder round the little designer shops though and if I really like something I usually buy it.

Thanks hun!

I buy Em high street clothes but I would visit a boutique if it was a special occasion outfit i wanted or a present for someone.

What makes the shop different to make you LOVE it?

I like quality things.

I tend to spend as much as i can afford to when buying things purely because in my experience, more expensive item usually last longer..

BUT the one thing i refuse to spend a lot of money on are my childrens clothing.. children dont need designer clothes... they dont usually understand the meaning of value and wouldnt run around less and be sensible just because they have a designer top on..

I buy all my childrens clothes from supermarkets.. asda.. tescos.. the quality is good.. the styles are in fashion.. and i wont get upset if they drip ketchep down the front cos it only cost me £3.99...

Hope this helps.. :hug:

There is a woman in the town near me that runs a little designer boutique. Its just her and most of the time her little boy in his baby walker lol. I like it in there because she is really helpful and will bend over backwards to help you. Plus I prefer to support her more than say a big department store as its her living and means something to her.

i get most of mine from normal shops asda, mothercare etc... and the stuff for special occasions are usually sports stuff for james , ie diesel, firetrap etc.. , havent really bought olivia anything designer yet :eek:
sorry dont suppose that helps much , lol

I agree with Flower, imo children dont need designer clothes, I get mine clothes from George, Tesco, Matalan, Next etc.

My mum buys the kids designer clothes though, they are fab, all sizes come up small I find, but they are fab! The kids have got things from Osk Kosh, Oi'Lily, Lego etc.

If you think there is a market for it in the village that you live in, go for it.

Good luck xx

i dont buy designer for my girls ,they mostly wear next or asda, ..or even the markets for my eldest
but having said that ..it was my best friends wedding last year and i could not find pretty wedding type dresses anywhere..you know the type , pretty satin flowly ones ..
my girls are 10 and 7 btw
what age are you planning to cater for ?

and i would only say ..keep it nice , but keep it child friendly , like a little play thing , lollypops free to kids (or bananas etc..)
small things make a huuuge difference xxx
good luck hun

I love Junior accent in Leeds city centre,when he was 6 months old we bought him an Armarni hat and scarf set for £60.00 :rolleyes:

We were IMO stupid.

They grow far too quick to spend that sort of money,we learnt that the hard way.

Also bear in mind that if i wanted "something special" the first place i would look is the internet.

Sorry to sound negative hun,but just being honest,and giving an informed opinion :hug: x

i dont buy designer for my girls ,they mostly wear next or asda, ..or even the markets for my eldest
but having said that ..it was my best friends wedding last year and i could not find pretty wedding type dresses anywhere..you know the type , pretty satin flowly ones ..
my girls are 10 and 7 btw
what age are you planning to cater for ?

and i would only say ..keep it nice , but keep it child friendly , like a little play thing , lollypops free to kids (or bananas etc..)
small things make a huuuge difference xxx
good luck hun

probably ages birth to 10 but affordable designer and handmade cards and wooden toys - classy stuff not cheap tat.

I think its a great idea.
I bought designer stuff when charlie was a baby not much as he soon grew out of them.
I get clothes from next adams and debenhams for every day wear, but now i go and buy diesel jeans and other designer tops as my little one is funny he is tall and has a skinny waist so diesel fit perfect on him and they wash well and last ages as well.

One of my hubbies colleagues has just spent £90 on a babygrow and his wife hasnt had the baby yet.
For that I did my 2 kiddies wardrobes for the whole of winter/spring.

What makes the shop different to make you LOVE it?

Buying for baby, (but she just not quite arrived yet...any day) I can say we have bought most staple items, like body suits etc at M&S....I like things that will wash and tumble dry without any shrinkage and close friends that have babies have said that some of the cheaper supermarket ranges do tend to run up a bit after a few washes. M&S are quite cheap still if you buy the multipack stuff.

I've also bought some very cute stuff at smaller 'designer-type' shops, and would say the thing that makes me shop there are good choice, good customer service, but I still need good value for money. I bought a couple of 'nice' outfits there for the same price as I would spend on say 2 or 3 bodysuits at M&S, but wouldn't pay 10 times the amount for anything for baby - like some actual designer places are priced at! The only item I can imagine myself allowing as a expensive purchase would be a christening gown, maybe.

I also think there is a massive growing market now for re-usable nappies....7 out of 8 couples on my NCT antenatal classes had invested in re-usables, and somewhere local that supplies these (and possibly even a nappy laundering service, it can be quite affordable, compared to the cost of disposables...check out grants with local councils, they are available) would be attractive to me.

Hope you are enjoying life as a Mum, hun!

its not something i am into for me or my kids....even if i could afford too i wouldn't.

its just a name... a tag....and i couldn't tell if someone was wearing £40 jeans or £140 jeans...only person who knows is the one wearing them so why do it....i know people say it makes them feel good, but i feel better having money in my bank than on my bum.

great idea for those who do...just not me. xx

Buying for baby, (but she just not quite arrived yet...any day) I can say we have bought most staple items, like body suits etc at M&S....I like things that will wash and tumble dry without any shrinkage and close friends that have babies have said that some of the cheaper supermarket ranges do tend to run up a bit after a few washes. M&S are quite cheap still if you buy the multipack stuff.

I've also bought some very cute stuff at smaller 'designer-type' shops, and would say the thing that makes me shop there are good choice, good customer service, but I still need good value for money. I bought a couple of 'nice' outfits there for the same price as I would spend on say 2 or 3 bodysuits at M&S, but wouldn't pay 10 times the amount for anything for baby - like some actual designer places are priced at! The only item I can imagine myself allowing as a expensive purchase would be a christening gown, maybe.

I also think there is a massive growing market now for re-usable nappies....7 out of 8 couples on my NCT antenatal classes had invested in re-usables, and somewhere local that supplies these (and possibly even a nappy laundering service, it can be quite affordable, compared to the cost of disposables...check out grants with local councils, they are available) would be attractive to me.

Hope you are enjoying life as a Mum, hun!

Thanks for the help hun - can't wait for your little one to arrive. I love being a mum. Planning the wedding for nov and hoping to try for another in feb nxt year.

When I say designer I mean I would stock designer outfits but at affordable prices and in the baby section of the shop there would be nothing extortionate but just something a bit different with a twist - like baby gro's with slogans but not massively expensive like some you can buy.

Thed nappy thing is being done in our area already.

One of my friends works in a designer kids shop which sell Burberry, Prada, Gucci, Olilly, DKNY etc... The bloke that owns it makes an absolute bomb as there are lots and lots of people that only buy designer clothes for their kids.

In the Jan sales they had people queing for over 5hrs to get a bargin (all stock was 50% off) and fights broke out. It's Mad IMO.

I buy my kids clothes that I like, be it from Primark or Gap and maybe on a special occasion I'll buy designer but as I have 2 girls I know they will get the wear as it will be passed down.

If you think peeps in your area have the money to spend then I think it's a fab idea the only thing you have to think about is the cost of stock. You need to have alot of stock.

I would love a little boutique in our area. we have a couple but it seems that once a child has reached the age of two they dont stock anything. My boy is 3 and a half and my girly is 8 and I cant get anything for them from there anymore. I wouldnt spend a fortune in one all the time, but its nice to have somewhere to get something a bit special from every now and again.

Latest posts

Back