chinese salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go Ladybgemini, nice to know you turned your clients from the 'dark side' and to the wonderful world of proper nail enharncements.

Congrats all round.
XXX

ladybgemini said:
Hiya All,

I have just had my first experience of a NSS Set of nails. My neighbour told me a while ago that she was really happy with them, she wouldn't be knocking my door to have silk nails, she never broke one, yada yada yada.

Tonight she knock my door saying she had broke a nail yesterday and she had noticed recently that her nails were sore. She had been wearing "acrylics" from this particular salon, without a break, since May 05. She never has infills, they always remove and apply a new set, this is £19.99, and also includes a nifty little design and 2 gems on each finger!!!

She asked me to remove the acrylics, which took forever, they were soooo thick, I showed her my silk nails and she couldn;t believe that they were so thin and natural looking.

Underneath the acrylic was the worst set of natural nails I have ever seen, I will try and explain what happened.

When I was soaking them in acetone I kept taking them out and checking the progress, one thumb had no acrylic on one side and loads on another, you could quite clearly see where they had filed a 'v' into in to repair it. She was not aware of ever having a repair and says this set has been on 6 weeks.

I carried on removing the layers of acrylic and then found her natural thumb nails were as long as the acrylic, no tips!! She was not aware that she did not have a tip on either. This also means that when she thought she as having a new set on she actually wasn't getting that as her free edge was about half an inch long on her thumbs. Her other nails were much longer than you would expect for 6 weeks growth too.Her thumb nails were so thick I couldn't cut them with clippers, I had to file them (her natural nails), they were dirty and yellow looking, very stained.

Once removed there was loads on dints, grooves and where the 'v' had been on the thumb was a 'v' in the natural nail too. I actually came on here while she was here and read a few posts to her so she could see for herself that I was not making it up.

She sat there nodding when I said things like holding hand in front of a light, no insurance, unlabelled products etc etc. She says there is a sign up saying "please make sure you are happy with you nails before you leave as we can not be held responsible............"

I buffed them lightly and applied a layer of clear polish and some cuticle oil and she has booked in for a manicure next week. The nail she broke looks awful, her nail bed is puffing out from under the free edge, I have made her aware of keeping it clean and not poking it into things she shouldn't. I didn't touch that nail at all and put a little dipr on it to protect it from the acetone.

I am fairly new to the nail industry, I recently qualified but had been doing my own nails for about 2-3 years previous. I can honestly say hers have to be the worst I have seen.

She has promised me she wont be going back there and she has also said she will call her friend who normally goes with her and tell her not to go there either. I think that means I have gained another 2 customers tonight.

Having just returned from US I have to agree its completely different over there, I searched everywhere for a 'normal' tech but no! Considering Florida is nearly 5 times bigger than UK thats says alot (ok I only searched Palm Bay, Coco n Orlando but still)
Americans are happy to go to NSS because it is all they know in some areas and the finished result is a good result (aparently! nails are always flat looking to me!) The NSS I saw speak English and have their Certs on the wall, and they disinfect tools (not really the drill tho' which is most important, spinning in water wont help remove dust!)

Its just a way of life so let bmkpoe have her nails - she's happy!

What I noticed when I hit the Orlando trade show was the small amount of companies & Techs, and I said b4 that if you took all the NSS out of US hardly anyone would be doing nails! This is not the case over here, so the more we educate our clients, the more salons that open with properly educated techs, the better the industry will be.

just my 2 cents!

RedAdmiral said:
Having just returned from US I have to agree its completely different over there, I searched everywhere for a 'normal' tech but no! Considering Florida is nearly 5 times bigger than UK thats says alot (ok I only searched Palm Bay, Coco n Orlando but still)
Americans are happy to go to NSS because it is all they know in some areas and the finished result is a good result (aparently! nails are always flat looking to me!) The NSS I saw speak English and have their Certs on the wall, and they disinfect tools (not really the drill tho' which is most important, spinning in water wont help remove dust!)

Its just a way of life so let bmkpoe have her nails - she's happy!

What I noticed when I hit the Orlando trade show was the small amount of companies & Techs, and I said b4 that if you took all the NSS out of US hardly anyone would be doing nails! This is not the case over here, so the more we educate our clients, the more salons that open with properly educated techs, the better the industry will be.

just my 2 cents!

Just because there are so many salons run by people of Asian descent in the USA does not make them NSS. You are really wrong in saying this.

The facts are that 65% of ALL LISENCED NAIL TECHNICIANS IN THE USA ARE OF ASIAN DESCENT. They are hard working skilled professionals and NOT using products that contain MMA. Nearly all speak perfectly good English and communicate well with their clients. They use branded lines of products and run A type salons as well as other salons.
This makes them perfectly standard salons and not NSS.

Neither is Florida 5 times larger than the UK! Best look at a map.

i got into nails because of a nss, i had been haveing my nails done for a while and thought they were great, then i got a greenie (yuk) at the time i didnt know what it was, went back to the salon, they removed the nail, filed off the greenie and put another nail on then went on to use that same file on everyone else with NO sanitisation:eek: , i also had very sore nail beds, then the final straw was when i went to have the set removed, they didnt soak or buf them off, the guy got a plastic tip and pinged all my nails off, omg it hurt sooooooo much and he managed to take a large amount of natural nail with them,
i did try to pull my hand away but he just held it tight and as he was not very good with english i found it hard to explaine how much i was in pain,
after that i started loking in to the nail business and decided i wanted to train, i know i can offer a beter more educated service than these butchers gave me,

i had always asked for gel nails and paid an extra £5 for gel nails in this salon and as im a div and didint know the diference between gel and acrylic, i thought i was geting gel, NOT THE CASE when i was training in l&p i said to the tutor, oh its just like gel, well she looked at me like i was off another planet, as i had been very naieve, i was paying for gel and geting mma acrylic,
doing decent profesional nails has nothing to do with colour, race or religion, it has everything to do with education,

Latest posts

Back