chinese salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie.castle3

Reaction score
has anyone come across any chinese salons that cannot speak much english. they are very cheap for full set of enhancements.they use drills and seem to work on a system where one puts the tips on , move to next table where l&p is applied and so on. i have had a few clients that have been to these salons .they have said that when the l&p is applied it is very thick and they have to hold their hand up to a light for it to dry, once dried the nail are then drilled to shape. could these salons be using MMA products . i have soaked off the product it does take some time and it seems to smell abit fishy. clients have said also that after soaking their nails to remove a drill is used to finfish off the job before re applying tips. these salons always seem to be very busy.

My friend had been going to one of these for about a year. Until I'd done my training. She said that they don't blend the tips either so that when the l&p had been applied she could still see the tip. That's why they had to airbrush a french look ontop.

She said that they never spoke to her as they couldn't speak hardly any English. She also mentioned that every visit she'd go home with bleeding cuticles as they would slip with the drill.

I did a set of fabric# on her a few days ago and she couldn't believe how great they looked as they weren't built up too thickly like they'd been in the past with l&p.

these salons tend to be referred to as NSS (Non Standard Salons), there are loads of threads about not only their practices but also how to deal with a new client who has had their nails damaged by these salons.
There was a great thread sometime ago about some techs 'judging' vietnamese/indian/chinese nail salons too quickly and tarring them all with the same brush...
have a search and it'll give you loads to read up on about it all :D
xx

I think they are Vietnamese. But that is beside the point!

Yes, they do use MMA, I have met the manufacturer and he told me himself!

I must admit, most do a very poor job, but there is the exception where they actually do an ok job.

Watchdog had an episode about MMA and drills, it pointed out that MMA actually rots the nail plate and causes alot of damage. It also stated that it lifts easily but that is incorrect. MMA actually bonds too well to the nail and that is why it causes damage; you'll notice that the nails knocked out by these salons don't lift very much and they rarely break!

What we need to do is show people that we don't cause damage to people's nails and that our superior products look far more natural!

Have you ever noticed that they almost always give a free airbrushed french? That is to cover up the horrible opaque/yellow looking product!!

Georgie. xx

I did a ladies nails last week who had previously had a couple of sets put on elsewhere..... dont know where. But, when she sat at the table, she was physically shaking all over, especially her hands. She kept telling me she was very nervous about having them done. Then after about 1/2 hour she had stopped shaking and she said to me, 'I cant believe that you are doing my nails and not hurting me. I was shaking so much because althought I wanted the nails on, I was dreading all the pain that I usually have to go through'.

Amazing or what? Why do people go to these places who hurt them so much.
She did tell me that the sets she had on before, she did not go for an infill, but let them grow out as she could not get them off her finger nails. She says it took about 14 weeks to get it all off her nails.

They also used the drill to such a speed that it constantly burned her fingers. Now I am not speaking badly about drills, as I have one that I use on two clients who cannot stand the back and forth motion of a nail file being used on their nails. But I am so very very careful never to over drill in one spot as to cause heat spikes.
So all this does happen, yet people still go back because they think its the norm if they have never been anywhere else.

I've had a similar thing happen to me. I had a client who was reluctant to have her nails done, but wanted them to look good. I did a permanant french gelwith tips and she was amazed that they weren't6 thick, and the fact that it didn't hurt while i was fileing and buffing.

It flabbergasts me when i think these people go back to go through this sort of torture.:eek:

As a consumer I would like to put in my 2 cents. I have always gone to nail salons that you call NSS and yes they are usually run by some one of asian decent. I've only had 1 bad experience(was mildly cut with a drill) and no longer go to that salon. The place I go to now does a very good job and does them the way I want them. They do use drills and have never been burned or cut and having my nails done at places like this have NEVER hurt, I actually enjoy my experience there. I go to these cheaper places because I refuse to pay $50 or $60 dollars for something that I can get cheaper and have them done just as well. I payed $50 a couple times to have my nails done and was not happy with them. So just because you pay more doesn't mean your getting a better product. And just because they are NSS does not mean they do bad nails. They do get the nails done in about 45 minutes and I like that I don't want to sit around for 2 hours getting my nails done. In the 8 years I've been having my nails done at a NSS I have never had an infection, or anything that would make me want to leave them. I pay $20 for my nails I refuse to pay more. This is just my opinion.

My friend went to one a couple of years ago and they were awful! They put the pink on in one go!! They were really thick and she said they used the drill on her natural nail!! when she went to have them removed they didnt soak them!! They got a nail tip and lifted them at either side and with a quick movement ripped the nail off! OOOOUUUUUCCCCHHHHH!!!!!! She said her nails were paper thin for weeks and have been growing back bumpy!! These people shouldn't be allowed to do this.

julie.castle3 said:
has anyone come across any chinese salons that cannot speak much english. they are very cheap for full set of enhancements.they use drills and seem to work on a system where one puts the tips on , move to next table where l&p is applied and so on. i have had a few clients that have been to these salons .they have said that when the l&p is applied it is very thick and they have to hold their hand up to a light for it to dry, once dried the nail are then drilled to shape. could these salons be using MMA products . i have soaked off the product it does take some time and it seems to smell abit fishy. clients have said also that after soaking their nails to remove a drill is used to finfish off the job before re applying tips. these salons always seem to be very busy.

HAVE YOU BEEN ABDUCTED BY ALIENS?????

I think the difference in the US is you have NSS salons and 'discount' salons, or at least that's the vibe I get from reading on Beauty Tech. It sounds like you going to a discounter, bmkpoe, rather than an NSS. I guess they're like the nail equivalent of shopping on the high street and going to New Look rather than Karen Millen - cheap and cheerful but not 'wrong'. If you can get good nails for a lower price, then good luck to you.
The problem is, here in the UK cheap usually ISN'T cheerful, with the exception of some salons or mobile techs who get involved in price wars, probably 9 out of 10 salons that are cheap are also guilty of abusing the natural nail, poor sanitation and dodgy products, and it's that that makes them NSS, not the price. Unfortunately for reasons totally incomprehensible to me, Joe Public seems to be prepared to put up with this, for the sake of cheap nails!
Personally, I charge what I think my time is worth - I am a skilled professional and I would never charge bargain basement prices for my work because that just devalues my time and my training. If you can get £5.50 an hour to be an unskilled numpty in a fast food joint, what would I be saying about myself if I only charged the equivalent of £5.50 an hour for my time?

bimbogeri said:
I think the difference in the US is you have NSS salons and 'discount' salons, or at least that's the vibe I get from reading on Beauty Tech. It sounds like you going to a discounter, bmkpoe, rather than an NSS. I guess they're like the nail equivalent of shopping on the high street and going to New Look rather than Karen Millen - cheap and cheerful but not 'wrong'. If you can get good nails for a lower price, then good luck to you.
The problem is, here in the UK cheap usually ISN'T cheerful, with the exception of some salons or mobile techs who get involved in price wars, probably 9 out of 10 salons that are cheap are also guilty of abusing the natural nail, poor sanitation and dodgy products, and it's that that makes them NSS, not the price. Unfortunately for reasons totally incomprehensible to me, Joe Public seems to be prepared to put up with this, for the sake of cheap nails!
Personally, I charge what I think my time is worth - I am a skilled professional and I would never charge bargain basement prices for my work because that just devalues my time and my training. If you can get £5.50 an hour to be an unskilled numpty in a fast food joint, what would I be saying about myself if I only charged the equivalent of £5.50 an hour for my time?

Before I was trained, I went to discount/nss salons, not knowing the difference between prep and no prep, sanitation and pure filth. And for the most of the public in the states, when you talk about getting your nails done, they don't imagine anything close to the proper procedures that you learn in school, or practice in a proper nail salon. They think, "oh you're going to one of those places". Atleast now, when someone says "I'm getting my nails done" I ask, who what where and how. Education is important to the tech community, as education is important to general public. as for bmkpoe, you must be pretty lucky not to of been bitten by the nss bug.

I wouldn't want to be a 4 star chef working at McDonald's... If I've spent all of this money going to school, getting my training and license, buying and providing top knotch products for my clients, there's no way I'm charging rock bottom prices.

Rolex vs. Polex, Chanel vs. Chanelle, Burberry vs. Blueberry, Gucci vs. Guccy, lol

ive been to a place like this once- god what a nightmare- no english- chewing gum and drinking water whilst attempting to file my nail- my friend works in a salon and you can so tell she has been trained to use an electric drill compared to them! These places should be screened before being allowed to open- and i know its not all but the majority are bad!

bmkpoe said:
As a consumer I would like to put in my 2 cents. I have always gone to nail salons that you call NSS and yes they are usually run by some one of asian decent. I've only had 1 bad experience(was mildly cut with a drill) and no longer go to that salon. The place I go to now does a very good job and does them the way I want them. They do use drills and have never been burned or cut and having my nails done at places like this have NEVER hurt, I actually enjoy my experience there. I go to these cheaper places because I refuse to pay $50 or $60 dollars for something that I can get cheaper and have them done just as well. I payed $50 a couple times to have my nails done and was not happy with them. So just because you pay more doesn't mean your getting a better product. And just because they are NSS does not mean they do bad nails. They do get the nails done in about 45 minutes and I like that I don't want to sit around for 2 hours getting my nails done. In the 8 years I've been having my nails done at a NSS I have never had an infection, or anything that would make me want to leave them. I pay $20 for my nails I refuse to pay more. This is just my opinion.

sorry i smell a SPOOOOOOOO FER

Hi Bmkpoe and welcome to The Nail Geek site...
as a consumer and NOT technician we don't expect you to undersand the whole concept of prep and general hygiene where salons are concerned...
if you decide to have a 'cheap job' done for $20 then that's down to your personal choice...
however, if you do decide to go into the nail business (as your post suggests) then I would imagine that you will have your eyes opened in more ways than one into why we (as professionals) are opposed to the NSS salons and their practices.
x

bmkpoe said:

Hiya

can i just ask when was the last time you saw your own nails...? the reason i ask is because i have a few ex nss clients now...who thought there nails where ok too....till i soaked them off. The damage was horrendous.

Do you know what products they are using...? as many nss do not have labled products on show...ask your self why not.

Are there any certificates on the wall...? any insurance ..?

Have you seen the tools being sanitized...? do they use Barbicide..?

Can you communicate with the staff...? so that if you are experiencing any problems you can explain and be given a full explanation back.

The money you pay to have nails enhanced isn't just about the enhancements...your also paying for peace of mind, quality, safety...etc...what are you actually getting for your money...?

Please just be careful...do these people actually care about your nails or do they just put the acrylic on, take your money and on with the next. xxx

Monkeystails said:
MMA actually bonds too well to the nail and that is why it causes damage;
Georgie. xx

I may be wrong but i thought the whole point of taking half of the nail plate away filing was because MMA DOSEN'T bond well at all!!

feel free to correct me...lol :hug:

mamma said:
I may be wrong but i thought the whole point of taking half of the nail plate away filing was because MMA DOSEN'T bond well at all!!

feel free to correct me...lol :hug:

Not sure, I was under the impression that they use the electric file on the nail plate instead of a nail file for saving time??

Some of you may think that I'm getting burned by going to a cheaper place, but trust me I'm not. I want my nails done the right way and they do that.

NailStyle said:
Hiya

can i just ask when was the last time you saw your own nails...? the reason i ask is because i have a few ex nss clients now...who thought there nails where ok too....till i soaked them off. The damage was horrendous. I just had a new set put on a couple weeks ago and no problems. My nails always feel thin for a couple days after taking them off then they are back to normal. I know this is a no no but I never soak mine off, I usually just pop them off as I always have.

Do you know what products they are using...? as many nss do not have labled products on show...ask your self why not. If I've never had a problem and I like the way my nails are done then why question what they use. They've never given me a reason to be suspicous.

Are there any certificates on the wall...? any insurance ..? Yes and Yes

Have you seen the tools being sanitized...? do they use Barbicide..? Yes and Yes

Can you communicate with the staff...? so that if you are experiencing any problems you can explain and be given a full explanation back. Absolutely

The money you pay to have nails enhanced isn't just about the enhancements...your also paying for peace of mind, quality, safety...etc...what are you actually getting for your money...? Everything I want

Please just be careful...do these people actually care about your nails or do they just put the acrylic on, take your money and on with the next. They very carefully look at my nails before I have a set put on or filled xxx

Can i just say Bmkpoe that you post this thread a short while ago http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=19580 asking why your pink and whites had started to go yellow. Personally i feel that this thread is contradicting what you say. Yes there could be many reasons as to why your enharncements have gone yellow, but in my experience, and many of the other techs on here if your nails have been done by an NSS salon this will be down to the product being MMA or the fact that the brush being used to apply the product is contaminated, which with a GOOD trained Nail Tech you wouuldnt get.

I agree with you that you don't always get what you pay for, but you do have to keep an open mind, and sometimes to get good quality, safety, and someone who is well trained, you have to pay more.

It is your choice completely if you want to go and get your nails done at a salon such as this, after all your a big girl and can make your own decisions, but please don't start to get defensive when the well trained professionals have a bit of a moan about the NSS salons and the horrifc nails they produce. Do a search on here for NSS and MMA and read some of the stories they post, i am sure they will make your toes curl.
bmkpoe said:
Some of you may think that I'm getting burned by going to a cheaper place, but trust me I'm not. I want my nails done the right way and they do that.

Latest posts

Back