chinese salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...with you not being a trained professional how will you know if your nails are being appplied correctly or not?
i'm not being argumentative or nasty, just stating a fact
bmkpoe said:
I want my nails done the right way and they do that.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHA

Amyuk seems to have found you out,,here you are standing up for cheap nss shops and you have been wineing before regarding your yellow nails

naughty,naughty make your mind up

eek didnt want to cause trouble, just the name rang a bell from a thread i had read previously. Dont want to cause trouble!!

lancslass said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHA

Amyuk seems to have found you out,,here you are standing up for cheap nss shops and you have been winging before regarding your yellow nails

naughty,naughty make your mind up

I'm certainly not trying to start an argument, I was stating my opinion. As far as the yellow nails it was only the top coat that I had used, when I took it off and buffed my nails it was gone, so it was not something they did. As some of you may think, I am not oblivious when it comes to nails. If I even had the slightest hint they were being done wrong I wouldn't be gettign them done there. Like I've said before, I've paid alot more for may nails a couple of times and they did just as good a job as the cheaper places. So don't knock all cheaper salons. I'm not agrueing the fact that there are bad ones, I know there are. There are good nail techs and bad ones and it has nothing to do with race or what you charge. Your either good or your not.

I have had a customer for about 3 months.. she was having her infills done every 2 weeks, but then one day she stopped booking.. when i asked her why??? she stated that although i did a good job she wanted to go to the nss place because they taken half the time... i explained that they did not sanatize and i myself have been burned and cut by these people all my customer said was "but they still take half the time" i take about 2 _ 21/2 hrs is that too long cos i did not think so.. so off she went... bye bye

HappyHands said:
I have had a customer for about 3 months.. she was having her infills done every 2 weeks, but then one day she stopped booking.. when i asked her why??? she stated that although i did a good job she wanted to go to the nss place because they taken half the time... i explained that they did not sanatize and i myself have been burned and cut by these people all my customer said was "but they still take half the time" i take about 2 _ 21/2 hrs is that too long cos i did not think so.. so off she went... bye bye

Let her go. I wouldn't compromise your standards just so you can "whip out" a set of nails in 45 mins. You can't please everyone. :hug:

Agree with this one hundred percent. If they want to leave you to go there let them, they will come crawling back!!

You know your good and have got adequtae training, your better than any NSS salon. I am sure your books speak for themselves.

Hugs hunny.
xxx

plaoh said:
Let her go. I wouldn't compromise your standards just so you can "whip out" a set of nails in 45 mins. You can't please everyone. :hug:

were not being racisit when we talk about the NSS salons, were disgusted at the work coming out of them, and the fact that they are called nails!!

You seem to be lucky that you have found a good one, if your happy thats great, but as i said before, please dont get defensive when we talk about the shocking state of most people nails when they come to us to get them fixed. As i said do a search on MMA and NSS and you will see what other nail techs have posted.I am sure you will be shocked.

I had a client who came to me and she told me she got her nails done from a salon like this in birmingham. Her nails were badly damaged and bitten, there was hardly any nail plate left. She asked me to apply her nails quite thick so they would stay on, but i told her that wasnt the correct way and told her the dangers. I did the nails the way i would do any client and she was pleased. But i know she would go back to that salon again!

bmkpoe said:
As a consumer I would like to put in my 2 cents. I have always gone to nail salons that you call NSS and yes they are usually run by some one of asian decent. I've only had 1 bad experience(was mildly cut with a drill) and no longer go to that salon. The place I go to now does a very good job and does them the way I want them. They do use drills and have never been burned or cut and having my nails done at places like this have NEVER hurt, I actually enjoy my experience there. I go to these cheaper places because I refuse to pay $50 or $60 dollars for something that I can get cheaper and have them done just as well. I payed $50 a couple times to have my nails done and was not happy with them. So just because you pay more doesn't mean your getting a better product. And just because they are NSS does not mean they do bad nails. They do get the nails done in about 45 minutes and I like that I don't want to sit around for 2 hours getting my nails done. In the 8 years I've been having my nails done at a NSS I have never had an infection, or anything that would make me want to leave them. I pay $20 for my nails I refuse to pay more. This is just my opinion.

They may look ok but how do you know the long term damage that they COULD be causing?

I really dont see how anywhere using good quality products can charge such low prices.

This picture is for Bmkpoe, not trying to offend you or anything but below you will find a lady's nails that contained MMA.

NailsafterMMA_thumb.jpg

She thought her nails were absolutely fine underneath, when she came to me she said she was worried about the yellow colour, unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the nails before we removed them (still kicking myself). If you look closely you will be able to see the drill marks and dents she was left with. It took us an hour and 45 minutes to remove these from her nails. The damage you see is how the nails were underneath the product, I could only gently buff her nails when the product had been completely removed as her nails were so wafer thin and sore. They also went under the nail's free edge with a drill to clean out whatever it is they do which left the natural nails with a ripped free edge. We then did p&w overlays for her and they came out beautifully!

I think you better think again before saying you know your nails are fine underneath.

xxxx

Hi Rose

Any way of doing the picture so it enlarges plz x

Rose, I cant enlarge the piccie...

Sorry peeps if you look in the main gallery it's enlarged there, I couldn't get it any bigger and don't know how sorry for the trouble :hug:

xxxx

bmkpoe said:
I'm certainly not trying to start an argument, I was stating my opinion. As far as the yellow nails it was only the top coat that I had used, when I took it off and buffed my nails it was gone, so it was not something they did. As some of you may think, I am not oblivious when it comes to nails. If I even had the slightest hint they were being done wrong I wouldn't be gettign them done there. Like I've said before, I've paid alot more for may nails a couple of times and they did just as good a job as the cheaper places. So don't knock all cheaper salons. I'm not agrueing the fact that there are bad ones, I know there are. There are good nail techs and bad ones and it has nothing to do with race or what you charge. Your either good or your not.

Good day from London Fashion Week people... went on line and have now read this thread thoroughly. The first thing I need to say, is that bmkpoe has put forward her opinions and feelings and we all must respect that. She likes her nails a certain way, they do them the way she likes and they are cheap. Her point about either being good or bad is a fair comment too and if she thinks they are good - she's going to stay put! There will ALWAYS be clients who feel the same way as bmkpoe and it doesn't MATTER what we say, what we know to be proven fact etc... people will CHOSE and they won't CARE about the things that we do because it isn't there business - they just want nails the way they want them.
It is only by CAREFULLY educating our customers that they truly learn the difference between good prep, bad prep etc etc. There will always be controversy regarding this subject but I have said it 1000 times before - nail teks need to get on with doing nails...well!! Keeping your head down, doing the best job and educting your clients the best way possible. Let's face it, that's what Asian style salons do... whether they are good or not they keep there heads down and get on with it... we need to do the same!:eek:

I was trained by CND and at first didn't realise that these nss salons existed. When I was trying to pass the word around to some of my friends at my sons school that I was now a 'trained nail technician' I didn't get the response I was hoping. They all shuddered when I said that I could do acrylics - they had all visited the numerous salons where I live, which I now know to be nss. When I asked why they were so against nail enhancements they told me their stories. One lady hadn't had her nails done for over a year and when I saw the state of them I was horrified. They had big ridges and were all soft and whiteish.

It is exactly what we don't need - You can get a full set of enhancements and airbrushing for £20 in all the shops by me. Out of curiosity I went into a couple of these salons. They can't speak english, you have to point at what you want cause they can't understand you, there were no certificates of training or insurance and all the products were in plain bottles or bottles with labels that you couldn't understand

As a mobile tech I can't afford to charge £20 for a full set with airbrushing - which means that I don't get the business as people can go there and get their nails done 'cheap' and then have such a bad experience that they won't trust anyone else to do their nails.

People don't realise that there is a big difference between properly trained techs who use safe products and these nss salons who are just in the business to make fast easy money.

mamma said:
I may be wrong but i thought the whole point of taking half of the nail plate away filing was because MMA DOSEN'T bond well at all!!

feel free to correct me...lol :hug:
THis was my impresion of MMA too!

Hiya All,

I have just had my first experience of a NSS Set of nails. My neighbour told me a while ago that she was really happy with them, she wouldn't be knocking my door to have silk nails, she never broke one, yada yada yada.

Tonight she knock my door saying she had broke a nail yesterday and she had noticed recently that her nails were sore. She had been wearing "acrylics" from this particular salon, without a break, since May 05. She never has infills, they always remove and apply a new set, this is £19.99, and also includes a nifty little design and 2 gems on each finger!!!

She asked me to remove the acrylics, which took forever, they were soooo thick, I showed her my silk nails and she couldn;t believe that they were so thin and natural looking.

Underneath the acrylic was the worst set of natural nails I have ever seen, I will try and explain what happened.

When I was soaking them in acetone I kept taking them out and checking the progress, one thumb had no acrylic on one side and loads on another, you could quite clearly see where they had filed a 'v' into in to repair it. She was not aware of ever having a repair and says this set has been on 6 weeks.

I carried on removing the layers of acrylic and then found her natural thumb nails were as long as the acrylic, no tips!! She was not aware that she did not have a tip on either. This also means that when she thought she as having a new set on she actually wasn't getting that as her free edge was about half an inch long on her thumbs. Her other nails were much longer than you would expect for 6 weeks growth too.Her thumb nails were so thick I couldn't cut them with clippers, I had to file them (her natural nails), they were dirty and yellow looking, very stained.

Once removed there was loads on dints, grooves and where the 'v' had been on the thumb was a 'v' in the natural nail too. I actually came on here while she was here and read a few posts to her so she could see for herself that I was not making it up.

She sat there nodding when I said things like holding hand in front of a light, no insurance, unlabelled products etc etc. She says there is a sign up saying "please make sure you are happy with you nails before you leave as we can not be held responsible............"

I buffed them lightly and applied a layer of clear polish and some cuticle oil and she has booked in for a manicure next week. The nail she broke looks awful, her nail bed is puffing out from under the free edge, I have made her aware of keeping it clean and not poking it into things she shouldn't. I didn't touch that nail at all and put a little dipr on it to protect it from the acetone.

I am fairly new to the nail industry, I recently qualified but had been doing my own nails for about 2-3 years previous. I can honestly say hers have to be the worst I have seen.

She has promised me she wont be going back there and she has also said she will call her friend who normally goes with her and tell her not to go there either. I think that means I have gained another 2 customers tonight.

I had a client in for rebalance today - she has been away and last had her nails done nearly three weeks ago.

She had been to Vancouver and whilst there her thumb nail came off so she went to a salon that she said was run by 'Asian people' and had it put back on.

They charged her $15 for one thumb and when she came to me today it is AWFUL! It is yellow and a terrible shape not matching what i had already done.

It was also really thick at the apex and looked so dull and generally YUCK and as tough as old boots!

She said she knew that it wasnt the best place to go to but she was desperate. She told me they were SO busy and he was so quick.

I think she felt I was to blame as the nail came off so I couldnt say too much but I just told her a little bit about these salons and that her nail will look different to the rest I have done and showed her how yellow it was. I told her I will soak it off next time she comes.

There is one in my home town and since she has been to one on holiday I am just hopeing she doesnt get to like it!

Monkeystails said:
Not sure, I was under the impression that they use the electric file on the nail plate instead of a nail file for saving time??

MMA does not like Keratin very much unlike EMA ....
MMA needs a velcro type bond to adhere to the nail plate hence the roughing up of the nail....
Where as EMA is like sticking Cellotape to a clean smooth mirror..... the more keratin there is the better EMA likes it......the smoother and cleaner the nail plate the better it adheres.....and that means a nice prep and not a hows your father with a e-file or normal file......
we remove non living tissue and pathogens not keratin.....

Now in all honesty would you go to a dentist that uses Nail Polymer and monomer for your teeth.....
The same reason we should not use MMA for nails.......each have their own uses...... EMA for nails and MMA for Dentists, bullet proof vests and artificial limb aso....
Each has their own fab uses in their right situation....
And each person has the right to choose their personal preference, its just here in UK we do not have the same expirience with NSS as bmkpoe has had in the USA, we have more clients here complaining about this sort of thing then not..e-file cuticle damage, rings of fire aso nothing to to necessarily with MMA just careless and uneducated e-file use....So if your happy with your service fab....and yes bmkpoe your right this has nothing to do with colour creed or nation this is all to do with good sound education... thats something Geeks are very passionate about xxx
JMHO

Latest posts

Back