Chip and pin card machines, which one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellasmum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Which of you use a chip and pin card machine in your salon and which one is best to go for? I was advised that getting one through a bank was the best idea but what is your experience and what did it cost you?

Many Thanks
Sam x

hi ive just got mine i have one at home for my mobile side one the salon ...

i got both through streamline my bank sorted it out for me (natwest).. it was 175.00 to set it up... and something like £25 a month

its soo easy to use i can do chip and pin ,swipe or when the persons not present e.g like over the phone

Thanks for that Leonnib, I am with First Direct, will contact a few banks and see who does what. Anyone else use one in Salon?
Sam

We use one in salon and i wouldnt be without it. I initially got one through Barclays and then changed to CardSave/Streamline for a couple of years. However I went back to Barclays a couple of months ago, they brought the charges down and the money is in my account a lot quicker than it was with the other supplier. There are lots out there, its just finding the right deal.

I'm with HSBC & get my card machine through them; I've had no problems with them & the money is in the account very quickly.

our salon uses an ingenico card machine which we got through lloyds tsb card services

GPRS machine with Cardsave for me. Federation of Small Businesses do offer a competitive alternative - if you are already with them. It's really great having the freedom to do a mobile treatment and process payments without using customer's phone line (or pay for the landline rental+calls in the salon). Thankfully I have great mobile phone networks everywhere I've worked so far!

When I started out - the big banks wanted a massive set up fee, but this might have changed.

It's about £30 a month (and don't forget to include the transaction and Streamline charges), but it easily earns it's keep! I'd feel ill-equipped and rather naked if I turned up for work without it. :)

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Sam

When I started out - the big banks wanted a massive set up fee, but this might have changed.

It's about £30 a month (and don't forget to include the transaction and Streamline charges), but it easily earns it's keep! I'd feel ill-equipped and rather naked if I turned up for work without it. :)

I think this must have changed as all I had to pay for was the years rental upfront, which worked out as £20 a month, and now pay about £18 a month. Then it's just transaction charges on top, which I think offhand are 25p per debit card & 2% on a credit card.

I think this must have changed as all I had to pay for was the years rental upfront, which worked out as £20 a month, and now pay about £18 a month. Then it's just transaction charges on top, which I think offhand are 25p per debit card & 2% on a credit card.

wow that is good who is that through if you dont mind me asking?

i got mine (streamline) thru RBS...its £20 a month then 40p a debit card and 2.5% per credit card. i didnt really research it much, i thought you could only get it thru your bank..but i am happy enough, not had any problems yet!!! x

That's through HSBC (I've just checked & my terminal rental is now actually only £17.25 a month including VAT).

I use Streamline. I'm with the FSB so got a discounted rate. I didn't pay a set up fee and i think i pay 23p per debit card transaction but it may be lower. Will have to check that!

oh i just checked online hsbc have a set up fee of 99

Morning guys - been up since 4am, how can you tell we are opening on Thursday?!

I use Elavon, no set up fee, 1.8% credit charge fee (0.5% Mastercard and Visa), 20p others (Visa Debit and Electron 11.5p), £16.00 plus VAT monthly rental and best of all, the terminal connects to my broadband rather than my phone line.

Hope that helps, take care, Mrs Mac

I use a terminal from 123send.net and have it through the Federation of Small Businesses offer.

It is £25 a month rental plus authorisation charges (25p debit, 2 - 2.5% for credit). With the FSB deal there is no setup fee, and the Streamline account for authorisations is free too - usually £10 a month.

It is also a GPRS terminal - so doesn't require a phoneline, it has a mobile phone built it for authorisations so can be taken anywhere for payments such as fair, events, parties etc.

Wouldn't be without it now!

Mat

i'm not sure how it would work for me , i rent a room above a hairdressers they already have 2 terminals (for the hairdressers) would i have to get a wireless one ?? if so are these approx same price ??:irked:

I have a wireless one - see post above, makes it a lot easier!

Hi Ive got a question for Mrs Mac please Im with elavon myself but finding rates to high just wanted to know your £16+ vat is that on a quartly basis every months I pay alot more than that for rental & on top of this I have a minimum service charge per month is this what you mean aswell ?
thankyou in advance hope to hear from you

Latest posts

Back