Chip & pin machine cold call

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyQueen88

Reaction score
I had a call from this number: 020 8962 5479 re a chip and pin machine for my business. As I'm in the early stages of opening a salon I thought this could be a good idea. I mentioned to the woman on the phone that I might be getting one through Lloyds but she (unsurprisingly) told me hoe expensive they are and not to go with them.
She wouldn't give me any prices over the phone. Instead she's booked a visit from one of their team for tomorrow at 3pm? I've agreed to this but I don't feel very comfortable about it, I'd much rather they sent me some info in the post?
Have anyone had these people call you? Or does anyone have any experience with these companies?

I never ever buy anything from cold callers, they get the cold shoulder from me.

I suggest you call back and cancel the appointment, ask them to send some information and if you want to take it further you will call them for an appointment.

Try negotiating with your bank with regard to card machine rates, one of my friends recently got a great deal on hers by just saying 'that's a bit expensive' - I was gobsmacked as she got a reduction on her monthly rental AND on each transaction cost. Good on her though :lol:

I never deal with cold callers they only ring cos it benefits them!

How ever most card companies do book appointments rather than sending out info!
Try card save they have worked out good for us!

Call and cancel I would and take earlier advice to negotiate with the bank..good luck

I have yet to come across a card processor who will give you prices and details by post or over the phone, other than maybe your own banks merchant services.

fees etc are very much dependent on turnover, trading history, credit check etc.

If you feel uncomfortable, cancel. But what do you have to lose? just do not sign up there and then. Just get a quote and tell them you are shopping around.

Thanks guys, my bf wasn't very happy when I told him that I'd given a stranger from a cold call our home address! I called to cancel the appointment but surprise surprise I can't call the number back so I'm waiting for my 6month old son to wake up then we're going out!

Whenever people call me selling they usually end up hanging up on me not the other way around, when they say x can save me money I tell them that when I want a new product or service I go out and look for it. That usually does it for them, one person claimed they wernt selling but were able to help save me money on my electric, I said I liked wasting money on electric and left everything on just to do so, they hung up. I get calls that my iv has error messages and will break soon and they are calling on behalf of windows, I pretend to do as they are saying until they need me to tell them what shows up and then I say I'm not by the pc, that gets them naggy and they say I wasted their time (I'm saving someone from being douped by these people), all computers have error messages, even brand new ones on their first start up, they are caused by the pc saying no to programmes wanting to open such as word, Internet etc... They do wipe these error codes off but next time u click anything or turn it on they are all back.
If its a call about grants for insulation or doors or windows etc... I say it's a council house, they hang up instantly.
If a chip and pin company were to call I would probably tell them I swipe the card between my bum cheeks and te look on te clients face is payment enough then let them hang up in discust xoxo

I would never use a cold call company - they are just trying to get sales for them, rather then your business. If looking at card machines try the following:

1) Your bank
2) Barclaycard
3) 123 Send
4) Card save

These are generally the big four that people will use.

But there is an exciting new player on the market and a first for the UK - mPowa. These guys use an iPhone or Android device with a small swipe card reader that plugs into the headphone socket. You either use their merchant account or your own existing one to accept payments. No rental charge, no contract etc. My current terminal was on a three contract - the commitment to that was over £900! So saving £300 a year is very appealing.

I've set up an mPowa account, waiting for my card reader. But what makes this one very interesting is that in Sept they are launching a Chip & Pin reader for it! Quite possibly a world first and something I have waited for.

Will keep you posted.

Mat

Has anyone heard from anyone called payment sense? They've been hassling me recently and their rates do seem good but....I hate the constant calls just because I said I may be moderately interested.

Latest posts

Back