Chlorine & Gel Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsab

Reaction score
Geeks,

Can anyone tell me if this is possible - and if so - why?

A brand new client told me today her gels had gone green from the chlorine in the swimming pool whilst on holiday so she had to have another set done whilst in Spain (which she came to me with to rebalance).

I'd love to hear from anyone who's heard a similar tale - it's a new one on me - but she said it as though it was a run-of-the-mill scenario!

Thanks!!

Certainly never heard of them going green . . . but then I use buff off gels. Maybe if they were soak off gels (which are porous) this could happen? I'm sure someone will be able to shed some light for you. x

never had that happen either.

sounds a little odd to me.

I wear Brisa gel (buff off) and have been away two years running and spent half the day in a pool. I have had no problems and came home with them looking exactly the same as when I went.

Did she mean 'greenies' or that the gel turned green?

Gel nails would not turn green from chlorine in a swimming pool ... :rolleyes:

As for greenies, if any nails were cracked or lifting, they could go green overnight in the weather we are having at the moment. :) Not that I am complaining.

No - she said that they'd just turned green - and her reckoning was because of the chlorine. But she said it in a way that it had happened before or that she was reliably informed....

She'd had a new set done in Spain just last week, which she'd come to me with to fix up because they had split and chipped and from what I could see - there was no sign of a bacterial greenie anywhere - and the green gels had been removed.

I should also add that I didn't apply the gels that had gone green!!!

I didn't know what to say in reply to the green gel story so kept quiet. She's lost her thumb nail and couldn't bare to be without it - so I replaced it with L&P - which she is going to wear and see if she likes it or not! So, if she does come back to me - I'd like to be able to say why her gel went green or if it should at all!!

No - she said that they'd just turned green - and her reckoning was because of the chlorine. But she said it in a way that it had happened before or that she was reliably informed....

She'd had a new set done in Spain just last week, which she'd come to me with to fix up because they had split and chipped and from what I could see - there was no sign of a bacterial greenie anywhere - and the green gels had been removed.

I should also add that I didn't apply the gels that had gone green!!!

I didn't know what to say in reply to the green gel story so kept quiet. She's lost her thumb nail and couldn't bare to be without it - so I replaced it with L&P - which she is going to wear and see if she likes it or not! So, if she does come back to me - I'd like to be able to say why her gel went green or if it should at all!!

NO it shoud not!

Latest posts

Back