Claim back all your Bank Charges!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to say I read this thread last year. Decided to claim back my charges, took a few months because I refused their offer and made a court claim. I received a letter one week before my court date offering to refund all charges, interest and court costs.
I understand from speaking to the solicitor of the Bank that everyone will get their money back. You are usually contacted at least one to two weeks before court date offering full settlement. You can ring the solicitor dealing with your claim a few weeks before and ask them to settle the claim, like I did. I also asked why it took so long and why they allowed it to get to court stage where interest and court costs would be added to the claim.
I was told it was simply because of the volume of claims that they have which makes it difficult to deal with them all before it goes to court.

^^^^^Makes an interesting read^^^^^

Im at the stage where my claim has been acknowledged by the court and have been informed that they are going to put up a full defence against my claim, they have until the 25th of May to do this that is when their 28 days is up.

I'm at the same stage as you Sarah Lou, around about the same date too - I'm with ShAbbey - What about you? I'm claiming just over £2000 - they gave me a 'goodwill gesture' of almost £500 so I just took that and told 'em I wanted the rest too! Apparently Abbey take it to court every time :evil: so looks like I'm going to have to fly over to the UK to go to court soon - wonderful! :irked:

I'm at the same stage as you Sarah Lou, around about the same date too - I'm with ShAbbey - What about you? I'm claiming just over £2000 - they gave me a 'goodwill gesture' of almost £500 so I just took that and told 'em I wanted the rest too! Apparently Abbey take it to court every time :evil: so looks like I'm going to have to fly over to the UK to go to court soon - wonderful! :irked:

Hi Jackie,

Im with Nationwide, they have told me NO all the way so unfortunately no good will offer from them. From what Ive been reading on Martin Lewis' site, nationwide do not pay unless you do take them to court, they pay up before it does get to court though, so hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks I will be better off money wise. They have been closing bank accounts though :eek: . I have a parachute one all ready and waiting though.

Good Luck with your claim chick, fingers crossed for you :hug:

I've also started the process to claim back my credit card charges with Abbey, they took it well over the 40 days that they had to send me my duplicate statements but when they did arrive (yesterday) they were accompanied by a letter offering me £350 as a full and final payment....... I've not even had a chance to go through my statements yet to find out what the charges add up to! :lol: Just have to wait for my mum to send them over to me, can't wait to see what they add up to!

So far I have been successful with most of my claims, so I would advise anyone thinking about it to go for it, I'm going to Rhodes for a fortnight at the end of the month thanks to my refunded charges:). As you can see I've been busy reclaiming my money back, I think people are put off by thinking its alot of work and hassle but it really isn't and Martins website takes you throught every step.

Nat West £550 full claim refunded
HSBC claimed £2700, settled for £1780
Cap One claimed £200 settled for £80
Nat West 2nd claim £172 full claim refunded
Barclaycard £80 settled
Egg claimed £150 offered £4 ......their having a laugh! :rolleyes:
Nat West Business - outstanding
HSBC Business - outstanding

I'm pleased to say that this has really made me sit up and sort out my finances and I am not letting myself get in the situation where I am charged these ridiculously high charges at 30 quid a time again, for going a few quid overdrawn over last 6 years.

So good luck everyone claiming.......you can't lose really!

I work for a bank and process copy statements, so if you are going to ask for copies please put on you request the date you opened your account,

The reason for this, is that when the request comes in to us, the bank clerk dealing with it will ask for six years stmts, when maybe you only opened the account 2 yrs ago.

it takes a long time to get these stmts off (if I am searching 12mths stmts sometimes it can search for 10-15 mins) so if I am searching for stmts that are not there you can imagine how frustrating it is, and we have had loads of these, So please try and be as helpfull as possible when doing this.

Lyn i really do mean this in the nicest possible way,but :lol: i wouldn't have the foggiest what year,let alone what month,and well I'd have to pick a date out of the hat.After all you get paid for it :wink2: :hug:

I am having a nightmare and wondered if anyone could help. We paid all our debts off and after 6 years we destroyed all the paperwork,like a burning of debt type o thing :rolleyes:

Anyway,does any one know how you can find out YOUR own bank details for an account that has been closed for years.

Would they tell him if he went into the branch with some ID ?

Many thanks xx

If you went to the bank and asked when your account was opened they will be able to tell you even if you have a closed one all bank records are kept for six years to the day.

The only reason I asked about giving as much correct details as poss is so that you as a client will get the info more quickly, I myself hate waiting forever for something, when it should be instant, hope this helps a bit

:lol: The thing is we don't even know the account number it was so long ago,do you know how to obtain that ?

Ps got ya now :lol: x

If you have an account open with them now then give them that account number and they should be able to tell you what other accounts you have had with them, when they were opened and when they were closed, they should be able to tell you what type of an account it was as well, if you do not have an account with them now they should still have you on file, either by your name, address, post code. Hope this helps

Ok many thanks we will call in to branch and ask :hug:

Good luck, if your account was at the bank I work I could look for you on Monday not sure if I can say which bank I work on here but you could pm me

and then I could print the stmts for you and send them on to you, and it would be discreet, as its my job.

Pm'd you :hug: x

Sorry I do not work for that bank, your message flashed me on the screen
saying sorry I do not have pager. Anyway hope you get all you need

Oh sorry pager is a premium geek facility :o

Thankyou anyway x

Right after reading and following this thread closely finally decided i'm going to take the pluge and do this as I got charged £38 for going 2p over my overdraft for less than a day this week!!

Just hope they don't shut my account down !!:irked:

Some banks are using dirty tactics because of this not sure which ones, but I have heard of it, if something like this does happen then report them to the financial ombudsman, but I think most are now just accepting it.

I think this is one of the reasons they are going to start charging for having a bank account. I have asked this question at the bank I work for, because we get our wages paid into our bank account (which we have to open) and I said it would not be fair that I would have to pay to work for them, because I would change accounts to a bank that does free banking.

Is there anyone claiming from Barclays Bank?

My mum just called to say that she has had a letter from barclays this morning offering her £1400 back from the past 6 years!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back