Cleaning after cutting hair!!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychic

Reaction score
Question...after a hair stylist cuts someone's hair...who and when usually sweeps up the hair from the floor in your salon? I ask because the other day I walked into my salon and was mortified to see hair all over the floor while my senior hair stylist had almost finished blowdrying the clients hair! :mad:

Someone could have easily slipped and so I quickly swept it up!!! EEuuurghh!!!

Hi, if I were the stylist I would do it myself if there was no one there to help, as it is a problem with slipping , good job you came back :)

its a juniours job no?

Going by salon rules Scottydolly is right! we have done all our brushing and cleaning as juniors or apprentices
I have brushed up after loads of stylists till the cows came home

but...sometimes if they juniors are simply too busy to brush up or having their lunch break ect...
I would rather just do it than risk a client or myself slipping over and end upon my butt as I sometimes do :eek:
I do it in a slow motion kinda way too :lol: lol x

I was the youngest stylist in the last salon i worked in (wouldnt be anymore though lol) so generally I probably would have been called the junior.But myself and the other two stylists either did it ourselves before blowdrying, or if one of us wasn't busy at that moment we would do it for each other.

I do it myself :lol:

surely the junior, thats who does it in my mums salon, and she gets told off if she dosnt do it quickly!

And if you brush away the hair...would you do this after cutting and before blowdrying or after blowdrying??? I told the stylist to clean up the hair before blowdrying because the shop looks untidy, unprofessional and its a hazard!! But she refuses to do this....she waits until the blowdry is done, the client has gone....then she sweeps up!!! Surely thats wrong????

Part of the juniors job is to assist the stylist while they are learning so yes, it if for the junior to do it. However if no junior available the stylist should clean off the customer, get a fresh towel (or just remove old one)and then clear the floor of hair. this will then be a far more comfortable experience for the customer while having hair styled. I think that the stylist concerned should be told clearly what the cleanliness routine should be. You will probably find this is a bad habit they got off the person that trained them.

Hair has to be brushed up immediatley ,
hair shouldn't be left on the salon floor as this is against health and safety rules and guidelines
as people can slip on it ,

because you are the owner and you have spotted a risk
it is your duty to deal with it as part of your risk assesment procedure ,
and as it's a high risk of someone slipping over , this issue must be addressed and solved immediately ,

the client or stylist should never walk on slippery hair especially when the client gets up to leave the chair ,

the stylist also must also be responsible for his or her own actions , regarding health and safety rules ,

I would mount a brush on the wall at every station , and tell them no one must walk in the hair at all for health and saftey reasons ,

also if a junior cannot brush up straight away then the stylist must do it
or health and saftey rules are being broken ,

now I dont know if breaking health and safety rules warrants you to issue
some sort of warning about the importance of breaking such rules ?
perhaps you can look it up or ring Habia , they have the new salon guidelines for health and safety out now , these guidelines need to be displayed clearly on all working premises so all staff can see them ,
as it is a legal requirement
hth minky x

i agree, But! there is nothing worse than a Junior brushing around your feet while you are still cutting, (another bad habit) so I think that it has to be within reason

i agree, But! there is nothing worse than a Junior brushing around your feet while you are still cutting, (another bad habit) so I think that it has to be within reason

Hi, yes lol x :lol: I know what you mean that can be a danger also , they should have a brush alarm lol x :lol:
so thats why I find it better to go and get the brush myself and brush it up if the juniors are busy ,
at least that way I can be sure that I won't slip over and the client won't either
I have fallen on someone elses hair and had my steel tail comb actually stabbed me in the tummy , it was a small hole and bleeding and could have been a lot worse and I was pretty shocked

but I shouldn't really have had it in my tunic pocket, but I guess we all do these things ,
but thats why if I see hair just left on the floor and people are busy
I have to sweep it up
also I think cheeky chic is saying there is loads of hair cuttings and the stylist is just walking in it as she is blow drying the cients hair :eek:
which is a danger if she slips or the cient slips too :) minky

worst slipI ever had was on a grey perm curler..didnt see it and went crashing to the floor much to the amusement of the packed salon..only thing hurt was my pride:lol: seriously though salons have hard floors and shap edges everywhere so wet floors, hair on floor or just untidy is a danger.

Once I have finished cutting hair I sweep it up otherwise it can be a bit of a nightmare..

It does annoy me when a junior sweeps your toes up whilst your trying to make convo with your client and to be honest, some of the juniors we have had, do it so half heartedly I'd rather do it myself sounds a bit harsh I know but id rather pick up a brush do it myself than see a fellow work mate customer or even myself learn how to sky dive and fall on there face from some fly away hair ..

Yes, I find it funny to see the look on new juniors faces when they realise brushing up properly is somthing they have to learn!!:lol:

The stylist is actually a senior!! The junior was out on lunch.
Who would have thought a senior stylist with years and years of experience could be so irresponsilbe! Im a beautician ... but atleast now I know for sure that she was wrong. I will have a word with her AGAIN.
Unbelievable!!! :smack:

It is usually the juniors job but if they are busy the stylist should definitely do it before drying the hair. It's messy and it looks terrible.

When you go to the salon was the junior busy? If not, then you need to have a chat with them about their performance. If the junior was busy then the stylist needs to be told to do his / her own before drying. I'm sure he / she was was embarassed that you had to do it!

I'm sure all of your staff will take it much more seriously now that you've drawn their attention to it and shown them what is not acceptable.

Generally it would be the juniors job but if you work in a busy salon and the juniors busy it should be about team work and every 1 should do their bit to keep the salon tired and remember health and safety

I feel it is the stylist who is doing the treatments job wash cut sweep blow dry takes 2 seconds to seep the hair away.

i brush up straight after ive finished a cut,as like you say its health & safty in case you slip up or even worse your client does. we dont have any juniors in our shop,as its only small (enough for 2 stylist to work at a time,5 of us work there but we're all part time). so we sweep up after ourselfs. mel

Latest posts

Back