Client complaining about Shellac chipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy1005

Reaction score
Dear Geeks please advise,
I had a client on a Wahanda booking last week for shellac. She kept reading her ipad and turning pages constantly during application though I asked her several times not to touch anything when the nails were prepped. Then she wrote a review saying I didn't have enough colours for her to choose from but my application was very good so she would come back. Now she has sent me an 'urgent message' on Wahanda saying that her nails have started chipping after 7 days and she expects them to be perfect for at least 2 weeks. I have been doing shellac for a few months and have never had anyone complain they didn't last for 2 weeks before. I have repeat clients too. I myself have worn shellac for 3 weeks on holiday in the Caribbean, swimming in the beach and pool daily and didn't have any chipping/discolouration. What should I reply saying? I do not know whether she took my advice for aftercare (solar oil, wearing gloves when doing housework, etc). She is obviously expecting me to re-do or refund or give me a bad review online. What do you recommend?

Hello

Firstly as she has already left a review on wahanda for this service, I don't think she can leave another.

I would respond to her mail and ask if she followed all the recommended after care. Explain that this is not something you have ever encountered before and assure her it is not anything to do with your application. Advise her to remove properly or invite for in for removal (feel free to add your normal charge) and then suggest Brisa Lite smoothing Gel and add your price x

Do not refund or do them again for nothing. If you are confident in your service let it go. You can do without customers like this anyway xxx

Hello

Firstly as she has already left a review on wahanda for this service, I don't think she can leave another.

I would respond to her mail and ask if she followed all the recommended after care. Explain that this is not something you have ever encountered before and assure her it is not anything to do with your application. Advise her to remove properly or invite for in for removal (feel free to add your normal charge) and then suggest Brisa Lite smoothing Gel and add your price x

Do not refund or do them again for nothing. If you are confident in your service let it go. You can do without customers like this anyway xxx

I agree with this! Keep your professional head on and advise the way you would any other time, the thought of a negative review is daunting and horrible but you can't please everyone! No matter how hard we try, some people don't accept responsibility for their own actions, I'd definitely ask to see the nails as you'll be able to tell if she's picked at them etc x

Try to tell clients that it *could* last "up to" 2 weeks, as when you say "at least" 2 weeks they expect that and MORE! I know they mean the same things, but clients ALWAYS expect more.

Xx

Thank you for the advice and vote of confidence ladies! I followed your advice and sent an email expressing my surprise at chipping after 7 days and said that most of my clients were coming back with it intact 2-3 weeks later. I asked her if she followed my aftercare advice to use solar oil, wash her hands after using chemicals/sunscreen, etc. And I told her how to remove or she can have them removed at the salon for £10. I asked her to email me a picture of both hands so I could assess the damage. She did not bother to reply so I guess she realised that she wasn't getting a freebie that easily. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and I think if she was legitimate she would have sent me a photo on her phone immediately. Since she didn't, I can only assume she is trying it on. I have emailed Wahanda about it and I'm waiting to hear what they say.

Hello

I have just had a reply from the client and she sent a picture which I attached. This is her hand now at 8 days and please note the colour. I'm a bit perplexed as I definitely used Masquerade (wrote it down, as it's the first time I've used this colour). I did cover the whole nail from near cuticle and sealed the free edge but this regrowth looks like alot for one week. Does this look like masquerade to you? To me the colour is completely different! Any ideas on how I should go about this? And her cuticles are in a bad condition and I definitely did cuticle work! Does anyone know if I can check the date of the picture in her attachment?

Attachments

• DSC_0679.jpg
    DSC_0679.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 921
I'd invite her into the salon. Don't let on either way what your intentions are, just invite her in for an after consultation. Assess her nails and the situation when you see her.
In my opinion, she has certainly not used oil twice a day, and that colour is not Masquerade.

I agree, definitely Masquerade and those cuticles haven't seen nearly enough Solar Oil

And that looks like a lot more than 8 days regrowth! Can't comment on the colour as I use Gelish but defo not enough cuticle oil used! x

That looks like wildfire for a start and I would doubt that the amount of regrowth for 8 days! They are either not her nails or they are a photo of another, older manicure. Def ask her to pop in so you can assess and if anything offer her a free or half price removal. I bet she doesn't come in......

I have just had a reply from the client and she sent a picture which I attached. This is her hand now at 8 days and please note the colour. I'm a bit perplexed as I definitely used Masquerade (wrote it down, as it's the first time I've used this colour). I did cover the whole nail from near cuticle and sealed the free edge but this regrowth looks like alot for one week. Does this look like masquerade to you? To me the colour is completely different! Any ideas on how I should go about this? And her cuticles are in a bad condition and I definitely did cuticle work! Does anyone know if I can check the date of the picture in her attachment?

Masquerade??? Not in a million. May I also say that when you do these type of online cheap deals... Expect to get this type of customer.... They will do and say anything to get a freebie. I wouldn't go near these types of offers... JMHO.

That's definitely not masquerade!

I had same problem with a client who said after 4 days it was chipping.
I assured her it's got nothing to do with my products or service as I never get complaints like this. I asked if she followed aftercare, she said yes and this has never happened when she's had shellac done before.

I politely said after 2 days after your service there is a charge for repairs, if you'd like me to book you let me know.

No reply!

You get chancers like this.

Not Masquerade for sure! Don't even think its Wildfire. Ask her to come in and make a professional assessment in person. Good luck!

Not masquerade, not one weeks growth and not been using solar oil! Definitely trying it on! Xx

Not masquerade, not one weeks growth and not been using solar oil! Definitely trying it on! Xx

Thank you ladies for confirming my suspicions. I am renting a room in a salon and I'm newly self employed so I need to advertise to bring in my own clients which is the only reason why I use Wahanda. I do get some repeat clients though as they are happy with my service. This client shocked me with her audacity. I did not want her to come into the salon and make a scene so I was hesitant to get her to drop in to assess her nails personally. I did contact Wahanda and they have made a note of my concerns. I suspect she will be trying this again so I hope by telling her I'm on to her scheme and notified Wahanda will act as a deterrant. Here is my reply to her. I sincerely hope she never contacts me again.

Dear M,

I am really astonished by these photographs you sent. Here is my professional opinion on your complaint.

1) The condition of your nails are poor- you have very dry cuticles, poorly maintained, and I did meticulous cuticle work last week so this is impossible. You obviously did not use cuticle oil twice a day as advised or your fingers would not be in that state.

2) Regrowth shown in pictures is considerably more than that which is common after a week. I covered the entire nail from cuticles down and sealed the free edge so there is too much of a gap where the nail 'grew in one week'. The regrowth in your photos are more likely to be after 2-3 weeks.

3) The colour is definitely not the one I applied! I applied Shellac Masquerade, which is a very deep red wine hue with a shimmer, not the tomato red in your photos. I specifically remembered this as I told you it was the first time I had used that colour (all my clients go for French, classic red or pale pinks). You were the first client to request a dark shade and complained that I didn't have enough colours and the shade in the photo is not in my 'limited collection'. In fact, I considered at the time taking a photo since I hadn't applied that colour before but you left in a hurry. Furthermore, I wrote it down in your client records that I applied masquerade along with a note that during preparation and application you kept typing on your tablet and touching your hair, despite my asking you numerous times not to touch anything to avoid dust or oils on your nails affecting the final result .

I am definitely sure that these photos were either not taken yesterday or you changed your polish for some reason and you are now trying to get a free manicure. I have consulted a few fellow nail technicians who have all agreed with the above points. I will therefore not be entertaining any requests for a refund, re-application or removal of that manicure and you will not be accepted as a client in the salon in the future. Please note that I have already informed Wahanda of my concerns.

thank you

Oh my gosh what a chancer!!

Re the issues with wahanda they were brilliant with me when i had some
Idiot that i hadn't even done a treatment on leave me 2 bad reviews!!

They removed the reviews immediately x

Brilliant reply :)

Oh my gosh what a chancer!!

Re the issues with wahanda they were brilliant with me when i had some
Idiot that i hadn't even done a treatment on leave me 2 bad reviews!!

They removed the reviews immediately x

Gosh, they really do try it on don't they! I think allowing clients to comment freely and not check they were even genuine clients is really bad. Thank goodness they removed it. I wrote to Wahanda just in case she tries to trash me online, and to warn them she may try it with someone else!

Cindy1005, I just wanted to say how impressed I was with your reply to your client. It is so professional and well written :)

We'll put ..... You go girl x

Latest posts

Back