Client confidentiality vs criminality - what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelisa

Reaction score
This is purely hypothetical.

But if a client came to you and let slip of some criminal activity she knew about or committed, what would you do?

Legally, what are we required to do?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. x

I feel like a priest in my role as therapist sometimes lol.

When clients come in telling me all their secrets I keep them to myself.

I would have a problem if they told me they had just burgled their next door neighbour or poisoned their first husband 20 years ago!

But if they had somehow managed to swindle the tax man I could sleep easily at night.

Interesting thread to which I may return with some more thoughts later.

Jacqui xx

I wouldn't imagine legally we are required to do anything. There are occupations where you are obliged to grass, for instance if you work in benefits and hear about someone committing benefit fraud.

Surely anyone with I formation on criminal activity is legally required to inform the police?! Otherwise it would be withholding information wouldn't it?

I was just wondering, in jobs where there could be a breach of confidentiality, where we stand?

I will try and research this properly when I get home, get some facts.

I think it's a personal choice-if someone told you they'd murdered someone then yes course you'd tell the police but if it was gossip ie friend of a friend of a second cousins husband then maybe take it with a pinch of salt and ignore it xx

This is purely hypothetical.

But if a client came to you and let slip of some criminal activity she knew about or committed, what would you do?

Legally, what are we required to do?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. x

I'd do what I thought was best for that situation.

It is a difficult one really!

But think if you went to a therapist and were told everything was confidential and you let it slip that you'd done something wrong, and next thing had the coppers at your door, how would you feel?

If it was a 'serious' crime: murder, child abuse then you would definitely need to think seriously, for other stuff it's down to your perception.

But remember also, clients cone out with 'stories' sometimes which is often a load of old b******s. So you could in effect dob em in for something thats not even true!

When I did my VTCT health and safety I remember that if a crime involves a minor then you do have a duty of care to report it to the relevant authorities.

I would rat my kids out so for me, this is a no brainer.

I would rat my kids out so for me, this is a no brainer.

I think from what you are trying to say if I am understanding it right is that most people would - me included, but the OP did ask for any legal obligations.:D

I think it's important to note that we are not bound to secrecy such as Doctors, Priests and Lawyers AND in case something comes about.... we could get in trouble for NOT saying anything...

HOWEVER.... obviously to some degree, me must maintain discretion.

Use your best judgement. In some cases such as something minor "I copied a movie for my mom", while illegal, is not the end of the world for someone.

Whereas "scuse me while I take this call, I have some crack to sell".................. definately requires a discreet phone call to 911 in my opinion.

Otherwise, we mind our business and bite our tongues.

I think from what you are trying to say if I am understanding it right is that most people would - me included, but the OP did ask for any legal obligations.:D

I honestly don't think we are 'bound by law' to keep that type of thing, secret. :)

"I would rat my kids out so for me, this is a no brainer."

Can anyone translate that into English?

"I would rat my kids out so for me, this is a no brainer."

Can anyone translate that into English?

I took that as if her child had committed a crime, she would call the police on them, so if a client had, she also would. Am I right?

I took that as if her child had committed a crime, she would call the police on them, so if a client had, she also would. Am I right?

Absolutely!

For evil to prosper all it needs is for good people to do nothing ...

I wouldnt tell,
and i wouldnt rat my kid either, blood ties and all that, if it was my kid id take time out and fix where it all went wrong myself and get him back on the right track, however, thats easy for me to say as i really dont anticipate him going down the wrong path, i just cant see that happening, but if he did i wouldnt do it, id deal with it.
as for clients, i feel i would have to keep to client confidentiality, although apart from general chit chat ive never actually been told anything jaw dropping, i might express my dissappointment, i might lecture and nag and groan and so on and so fourth, they might not want to come back !

Ocht ! im fed-up, i never give the popular answers, im beginning to think i just sing to my own wee tune !

Ocht ! im fed-up, i never give the popular answers, im beginning to think i just sing to my own wee tune !

I like your answer babe & I agree with u xx

Latest posts

Back