Client getting really overbearing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xbeautyx

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im sure we all have one or two clients we dont gel as well with than others but I have a client that has, over the years, seemingly used me as her therapist. She is a nice lady sometimes, but she's just so negativie and at times overbaring with the way she pushes her feelings/opinions, religious views in my face, she passes judgement on my life when we are chit chatting (not that i should care what she thinks), she has admitted to having anxiety issues, she worries over everything and i know every detail of her life as she obsesses over everything. She comes for facials and her nails, talks the whole way through, i try and tell her to relax and enjoy her treatments but it makes no difference. She has called up over christmas to say her nails (shellac) hasnt lasted like normal and she was getting worried she would bite her nails and when could i fix them for her, hinting to go in and do them boxing day! I really dread seeing this client and think she needs help, the only problem is i do not know how to cut ties from her. She has had six weekly appointments for over 6 years. How can i handle this situation in a polite and professional manner as i feel that much pressure now and anxiety myself seeing her now id rather just say enoughs enough and move forward without her.

Hi everyone. Im sure we all have one or two clients we dont gel as well with than others but I have a client that has, over the years, seemingly used me as her therapist. She is a nice lady sometimes, but she's just so negativie and at times overbaring with the way she pushes her feelings/opinions, religious views in my face, she passes judgement on my life when we are chit chatting (not that i should care what she thinks), she has admitted to having anxiety issues, she worries over everything and i know every detail of her life as she obsesses over everything. She comes for facials and her nails, talks the whole way through, i try and tell her to relax and enjoy her treatments but it makes no difference. She has called up over christmas to say her nails (shellac) hasnt lasted like normal and she was getting worried she would bite her nails and when could i fix them for her, hinting to go in and do them boxing day! I really dread seeing this client and think she needs help, the only problem is i do not know how to cut ties from her. She has had six weekly appointments for over 6 years. How can i handle this situation in a polite and professional manner as i feel that much pressure now and anxiety myself seeing her now id rather just say enoughs enough and move forward without her.

Oh goodness she sounds like hard work. I'm afraid I don't have any advice but just wanted to say I really do feel for you. I'm new to this game and am just starting out and dread having clients like this one. I'm sure one of the geeks will help you out with this one somehow as people like this can drain you. Take care xx

Thank you, i hope so. Now i work for myself i have learnt quickly that any negativity like this is better off not been entertained any longer. Before when i worked in a salon i didnt have much choice and now i want to just tell her to get lost (as poietly as possible!!)
Did i mention she lies? She makes up stories, forgets what shes told me then tells me a complelty different thing that has happened,. She really is a massive drain and my heart sinks the days i have her in.

Such a tricky one, wish I could help xxx

Such a hard situation, I once had a older lady I always did a wash and set every week for her & everytime I did her hair she was unhappy ( I could never please her ) in the end I just said to her politely that I'm afraid I can no longer do your hair. Are you mobile? Could you say your no longer travelling out to her area? X

Hi
I attended a business builder seminar with 365
They taught you things that were so efficient. Mind changing.
My point that I may pass onto you :

"If you have a problem with someone and don't let them know you have this problem. Then you OWN the problem. But if you tell them the problem you have, it's no longer a problem to you"
This message was designed for our team salon meetings along with life experiences too.
Game changer for me personally. Promise you it changed my whole life with these issues. [emoji106]

I have actually tried in the past to suggest things that may help her very low self esteem and anxious self as her work collegues complain about her too, which then i hear how shes sooo miserable in work. So it isnt just me bu the sounds of things but like i say i do honeslty think she uses me as her therapist. I think i will have to just have to be honest, although i do worry about her, shes a awfully sensitive person which is what causes me to be treading on eggs shells but i do also know its not my problem. Maybe not the full truth and a little white lie will have to be the answer and i'll think of a reason why i cant take her bookings

Others may be rude to her. However people use kindness as a weakness, in this I mean she is dumping her issues on you n weighing your head down in return.
I have a client who stresses me to the point I did say a swear word back to her. Lol. Couldn't help it.
But she freely admits I need to be strong with her. As in your client.
Try saying.
Julie will you shut the front door I've a migraine. Haaaa who knows. [emoji4]

You said you feel she treats you like her therapist and this is almost certainly the case.I think it happens to most of us in this job.I wouldn't get rid of her as it sounds like she is a faithful regular client.
When you cannot change someone then you have to change.
I think you are letting their negativity get to you far too much.Do the treatment that's all you have to do don't be drawn into any discussions,don't tell her anything about what's going on in your life and once you have finished her treatment dont think anything more about what she has said, she's not your friend, she's a client you see for a few hours every six weeks,she really doesn't have to affect your life that much.

This is a real tricky one and I actually think that she sees you as a therapist and not a beauty therapist

And you could spin this on it's head and actually take this as a compliment

The fact that she opens up to you and pretty much doesn't stop talking

Don't feel like you have to offer her advice / just listen that's all she needs

If you visit is only once every 6 weeks could this not be bearable / you just sit and nod

This probably makes a world of difference to this lady who's probably very lovely and makes up the lies and stories because of her lonely life

If she messages you then this is where keeping it short professional and in control helps

You set your apt times and stick to them

You keep at arms length and provide a service

The technical term for this type of person is a dumper

And I think it's important to understand that at times our role as beauty therapist is that of a therapist and there will be this type of client

Of course it's your business and you are the boss but it could just be that she is lonely and needs a vent

Good luck in whatever you do

It's not a tricky one in my opinion..... just zone out, don't give her any specific details if your own personal life, therefore she can't have an opinion! Do your job, act professional & take her money, send her on her way until next time!! [emoji6]

I'm a bit of a chameleon when it comes to clients. Some know nothing about me, I hardly talk to them during a treatment or I keep the discussion very business orientated, others I'll laugh and joke with or talk about what's been on TV.

See if you can morph your self from one type to the other with her.

She sounds delightful ... Lol ....
Why not Try some meditation techniques before her apt, do this by putting a huge imaginary buble around you when you go to her apt so you don't take her negativity back home with you... Something I do before every day, depending on whose booked in or what I'm doing I can make my personal space big or smaller around me - and then remove my buble when I get outside my front door ..... Try it ...
Don't tell her about her personal life, zone out, agree and nod, without having to express what you really think, or getting wound up by her....
do her apt close the door, and carry on with your life, she is only 'one' client, who if she's booking you every 6 weeks is a great client who obviously is happy with you.

Thank you so much for your reply! I think i just needed to vent and its really helped hearing everyobes suggestions. What i've decided to do is keep her on and do what some have suggested and zone out, give no more opinion on anything she really tells me other than chit chat. Change the subject as much as i can when she gets heavy.
If this doesnt work i'll be telling her to either not to talk to me about such personal things and her worries and suggest a therapist..
If that still doesnt work i'm going to say sorry but i no longer can see her as it may not sound like a big deal to some and i can tolerate so much but this woman is something else

Fair play. It's important to put boundaries in place for the sake of your own wellbeing.

I'm a bit of a chameleon when it comes to clients. Some know nothing about me, I hardly talk to them during a treatment or I keep the discussion very business orientated, others I'll laugh and joke with or talk about what's been on TV.

See if you can morph your self from one type to the other with her.
I'm exactly the same, I only talk about fashion or what's been on tv and keep my personal live private.

Latest posts

Back