Client telling me I'm doing Shellac wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelrebel

Reaction score
I've just had a new client in today for shellac on her finger nails, I asked her if she'd ever had shellac on before, yes she says a few times the last time just before Christmas.
So I start just about to start painting tge first coat of tutti fruity and she says "oh you're doing it wrong, the salon I went to before use a tile at the and mix the polish with something else ( she didn't know what) and then paint it on.
I asked her what it was and she says well they advertise it as shellac and what you're doing isn't right!
I could tell she wasn't convinced her nails wouldn't last.
Any idea what this system was she was talking about?

Maybe they were putting the new additives into the colour?
x

Maybe they were putting the new additives into the colour?
x
You don't add the additives to Shellac, you dust them over the sticky surface of a cured layer.

Sounds to me as if the technician was mixing colours together to create another colour (instead of layering) which is also a 'no no' with Shellac as it can lead to curing issues.

Sound like maniQ Or something similar (where they mix polish into a gel) being sold as Shellac to the client. Naughty but many are claiming they use Shellac when they do not.

We all need to teach our clients that if it doesn't say CND on the lamp and on every bottle, then they are not getting a genuine Shellac treatment.

The new additives aren't available yet though!
OP surely your client would have been reassured with all of your branded Shellac bottles and the CND lamp? If this happened to me for any treatment I would just reassure my client that my actions and products are as they should be according to how I was trained, and leave it at that.
I do think it is best not to get drawn into a debate with a client about how another salon does things, tempting though it may be.

I know, the maniQ seems most likely to be what my client was talking about but she said it was definitely being sold as a shellac treatment, naughty.
Yes she was aware all my products were CND and my lamp too :) and she loved the end result but kept asking me "it won't chip will it?" that's why the other salon mixed it with the other stuff so that it won't chip.
Hopefully she'll be back next time she wants her shellac doing .
Thanks for all your replies, I was just baffled as to what the other salon was doing.

Oh yes I realise this, but there are some 'techs' out there who do things differently and think their way is the correct way.
Its a shame, because if thats the first time a client has the treatment then they believe that's the correct way!

Even a regular of mine who went away recently had her nails done in a salon and asked for Shellac, but said the bottles were not the same shape, I told her it wasnt Shellac then and they were a b***&&*d to get off. She still had them done though, as they were sold to her as Shellac. Aaarrrgghhhhh

Latest posts

Back