Client wanting spray tan but using own solution!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkies&tooties

Reaction score
I have had a message from a lady wanting a spray tan but she wants to use her own solution! She has asked if I would do it and how much I charge. I'm not sure if I like the idea of using her solution really, anyone have any views on it???

I would charge your full price whatever you decide to do, i would never book with another therapist and tak my own tan with me lol but some people might! xx

Well what you could do is note it on her consultation form and go ahead and do it but re charging - totally just whatever your normal prices is!

Someone had this before on here. Charge normal price. After all you'll have to clean it out thoroughly before you can put your solution back in etc x

Charge the same... Her solution or yours, it'll still take the same time up. Your time! Your time is valuable... X

What is her solution btw? I wouldn't in case there is a training issue somewhere down the line. Not all solutions, guide colours etc etc are the same as you know. I feel it could go a bit Pete Tong x

I wouldn't do it. You dont know the quality of the solution she has, or if its genuine and hasnt been watered down or something. If you spray her and it doesnt look good no matter how good your techniques is it will be your fault. By using her solution your are giving up your control.

Annie xx

I don't think I would do it either.
I would ask her what the soultion was, do you know which one it is?
You never know it could be the one or one of the ones you use anyway.

If you do decied to do it 100% defiantly charge her the same price.

I personally think this is a cheek, (although there could be a fair enough reason, like hers is the only one she doesn't react too) I get it from time to time with lashes, "if I bring my own lashes in, will you stick them on for me?" :rolleyes:

I would definately not do it.

By the time you have cleaned through your solution so you can use hers and then cleaned hers out so you can use yours again it would be too much hassle.

Clients bringing in their own nail polish or lipstick is the only thing I would accept.

And that doesn't change the price.

Jacqui xx

Do people go into restaurants with their own raw ingredients and expect the chef to whiz up a meal?!
Just tell them your insurance won't cover you if you're not in control of the fluid. It could be contaminated or out of date.

I wouldn't, if it all goes wrong and people asked where she had it, it could tarnish your reputation through no fault of your own. The colour could be horribly orange!

I'm amazed at the amount of people who wouldn't do it because they think the client might bring in dodgy solution. I can understand those saying about the fiddle of swapping solutions and cleaning the gun etc... as this means it will actually take longer than normal to do the tan.

I wanted a spray tan for a wedding I was attending at the beginning of the month and I wanted it to look nice of course, I have the solution I know looks lovely on me & it's an organic fast tan one so I can wash it off quickly. Being my solution I know how long to keep it on, I know it's stored properly, I know it's a quality solution and I know it looks nice on my very, very pasty white body as I've had my boyfriend spray me with it once before (he is not great at it yet though as he's only sprayed me twice).

I considered ringing a local therapist to see if she would spray me with my solution for all the reasons above (I know she uses Sienna X which I don't like) I was hoping she would have the same machine as me (5008) as it's a popular machine, that would have meant I could take my pre set gun with solution for her to spray me with and I wouldn't have expected it to have taken her any longer than normal to spray me and then she would have just swapped the gun back to her own. I was totally willing to pay the therapist her full price to spray me as I was wanting a professional spray tan.

I ended up just letting my boyfriend spray me for the second time and hoped it would turn out ok. Thankfully it wasn't too bad, he did get my knuckles on 1 hand and both my wrists were a bit messy but I sorted it with a microfibre cloth and I looked ok for the wedding. It wasn't as good a tan as I would have had from a professional as there were problems but I wasn't pasty white and there wasn't any major isues with it.

Maybe the client has a good reason for using their own solution. Personally I would want the background information of why they want their own solution and if they have tried what I use or not. I wouldn't just assume the worst of the client, (that they will bring out of date solution, they may have watered it down or contaminated it etc...) if there was no valid reason for using their own I would think twice about doing it because of the added time to clean the gun befoe and after the tan etc... but it could be a silmilar thing to what I wanted - a fellow therapist that wants their own solution for their own reasons (including advertising their own solution).

Basically I would want the full reasons for wanting to use their own solution before making any decissions.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who wouldn't do it because they think the client might bring in dodgy solution. I can understand those saying about the fiddle of swapping solutions and cleaning the gun etc... as this means it will actually take longer than normal to do the tan.

I wanted a spray tan for a wedding I was attending at the beginning of the month and I wanted it to look nice of course, I have the solution I know looks lovely on me & it's an organic fast tan one so I can wash it off quickly. Being my solution I know how long to keep it on, I know it's stored properly, I know it's a quality solution and I know it looks nice on my very, very pasty white body as I've had my boyfriend spray me with it once before (he is not great at it yet though as he's only sprayed me twice).

I considered ringing a local therapist to see if she would spray me with my solution for all the reasons above (I know she uses Sienna X which I don't like) I was hoping she would have the same machine as me (5008) as it's a popular machine, that would have meant I could take my pre set gun with solution for her to spray me with and I wouldn't have expected it to have taken her any longer than normal to spray me and then she would have just swapped the gun back to her own. I was totally willing to pay the therapist her full price to spray me as I was wanting a professional spray tan.

I ended up just letting my boyfriend spray me for the second time and hoped it would turn out ok. Thankfully it wasn't too bad, he did get my knuckles on 1 hand and both my wrists were a bit messy but I sorted it with a microfibre cloth and I looked ok for the wedding. It wasn't as good a tan as I would have had from a professional as there were problems but I wasn't pasty white and there wasn't any major isues with it.

Maybe the client has a good reason for using their own solution. Personally I would want the background information of why they want their own solution and if they have tried what I use or not. I wouldn't just assume the worst of the client, (that they will bring out of date solution, they may have watered it down or contaminated it etc...) if there was no valid reason for using their own I would think twice about doing it because of the added time to clean the gun befoe and after the tan etc... but it could be a silmilar thing to what I wanted - a fellow therapist that wants their own solution for their own reasons (including advertising their own solution).

Basically I would want the full reasons for wanting to use their own solution before making any decissions.

Great points Baggybear - does no harm to get the full picture & keep an open mind

I agree with you baggybear, you put into words what I was thinking. Good advise from you as usual! :rolleyes:

Is she a fellow therapist?

Its just as easy to find a therapist or salon who uses the same solution.

Jacqui xx

Jacqui xx

Possibly, however, this depends on where you live and whether there is someone local who uses the same product. For convenience, I personally would consider asking if I could take my solution and explain the reasons why when I speak to the therapist.

Jacqui xx
There is no-one local to me using the same solution, I trialed lots of solutions when I first qualified and was very glad when the best 2 turned out to be solutions that are not used by anyone near me. I like the fact that I am the only one selling the tan I do. I wouldn't be bothered if someone came along now and started to use the same brand as I'm established but when starting out I thought it was a good thing to be different. There are a few big brands used near me but people don't like them for different reasons so the fact I had something new to try went in my favour.

It does however mean I would have to take my own solution with me if I wanted a tan or get my boyfriend to spray me - which is what I ended up doing. I'm hoping the more he sprays me the better he will get at it (fingers crossed).

Erm ! so she bought a bottle of solution, which she now realises she cant use without the aid of a gun, i bet she's counting on a discount because she's paid enough already for useless tan solution, i dont buy that its because she loves the colour because she could have gone to the appropriate tan shop and not had to buy a bottle, if she was a tech she could have sprayed herself and had her own machine or asked someone she knows.

Your too sweet Baggybear, 'innocent until proven guilty' XOXO

Latest posts

Back