Client's cheque bounced - how much should I chase?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5@MB

Reaction score
Hello geeks! I did a pedicure on a young pregnant lady a while ago and she told me (whilst I was doing her treatment) how little she earns and is having trouble with her bank. She then paid me by cheque which she said her mum wrote. I presumed it was from her mum's bank, Ithanked her and went on my way. Her cheque bounced so I messaged her on fb, which is how she booked, she sais she would get the money to me in 2 days, its now been 5! I was just wondering how many times you would chase asking for the money? I know she's pregnant and has little money but she knew she'd have to pay. X

Its no excuse being young and pregnant to not pay for a treatment.

I would go round there and knock on her door, she needs to pay as technically its theft.

You chase it until you get it! This poor pregnant young lady is a thief, plain and simple.

chase her till her water breaks ..... then chase her some more, pregnancy is not an excuse for theft .. lesson here ... don't take cheques

Agree with Gigi, you chase until you get it even if it means sending a letter threatening a Small Claims Court action. You are running a business not a charity, nails are a luxury not a necessity and anyone who can't afford it shouldn't book treatments.

chase her till her water breaks ..... then chase her some more, pregnancy is not an excuse for theft .. lesson here ... don't take cheques

I've definately learnt that the hard way, it was the first and last cheque I've ever accepted! I'll keep chasing her and go round there if I don't get anywhere. Thanks everyone! X

I dont agree that you should never take cheques, but not from a new client.

I do have some clients I would trust but will be more wary from now on. X

Our terms are cash or Credit/Debit Card only. Seen too many 'rubber' cheques in the past. Causes no end of hassle.

I had a new client once say she had forgotten her Chq book and would drop my payment in later that day.
2 days later and there was no payment so I phoned her and left a message on her answer phone. I heard nothing back so about a week later I rang and left another polite message saying I would pop by the next day and pick the payment up.
She put my Chq through my door that afternoon.
I know she was trying to knock me for the money as it was an old school friend that gave her my number and the school friend said her benefit money wasn't due until the following week of her appointment.
Clients like this I don't want or need!

LOL as my coffee spurts on my iPad. God love ya, Carl :)

There are no shops that still accept cheques. This is because the Cheque Card Guarantee system was stopped in the UK earlier this year.

I do accept cheques from some old clients but I would never accept one from a new client. I have had a couple of new clients come in and say they've forgotten their purses etc. I make them leave something significant (like a watch, ring or bag) before I let them go to the cashpoint.

I only accept cheques from my regular clients that have been paying me by cheque since i started doing them. I think you get charged for bounced cheques?

So I'm still chasing my client, I gave her a deadline and said I'd seek legal advice if she'd still not paid. She almost threatened me with her brother and now I keep getting texts from people claiming to be her friends asking where I live. I'm actually a little worried! I have a little girl and the thought of her brother coming is a bit worrying! I've since found out that she has messed lots of ppl in this estate about when trying to buy things from them, through buy sell pages on facebook. I know there is nothing I can do about it and just call the police if anything happens but its worrying me a bit I have to say!

keep all the texts and any messages to show the police. give them a call and report the harrassment. that way, even if the police can't do anything now, they'll have on record that these people have caused trouble if anything does happen. I'd also tell her that you're not only reporting the threats to the police, but also her theft as well!

I think I'll give the local station a call tomorrow just to express my concerns, I live on a military estate so will also warn the guardroom for when they do the security drive through. X

So I'm still chasing my client, I gave her a deadline and said I'd seek legal advice if she'd still not paid. She almost threatened me with her brother and now I keep getting texts from people claiming to be her friends asking where I live. I'm actually a little worried! I have a little girl and the thought of her brother coming is a bit worrying! I've since found out that she has messed lots of ppl in this estate about when trying to buy things from them, through buy sell pages on facebook. I know there is nothing I can do about it and just call the police if anything happens but its worrying me a bit I have to say!

Some people are pure :evil: ! An i'm really thinking you should go all the way, because she's a thief, but then again..... maybe it's safer not to... You learned a lesson, things like that will not happen again to you.

Tomorrow i have a new client. Her mam is a neighboor of my parents, so i know she's without a job, living on less than 1000€/month and spending money on all the wrong things. Her mom worries a lot! This evening she contacted me saying she need her nails to be done, the nails are to short, to weak. She wants strong and long nails. The other salon is offering Gelish, but thats 35€ and only stays on for a week.... so she refuses to go back.... without a job, no kids and Gelish peeled of in one week.... then she admittd she's biting on the skin around her nails.....

I wil consult her , and will make her pay in advance, while giving a small Solar-oil in a gift-bag as new years present.

One more lesson i've learned here on NailGeek.
Take cash, before the service with new unknown clients. No cash, no service.

Greetings from Belgium,
Conny

Years and years ago when 'party plans' were in full swing someone paid by cheque and it bounced. I never ever said anything to the woman I took the cheque into the bank everyday until there were enough funds in her account to pay it.

I felt jubilant that day, I had out foxed the sly fox!!!

In my salon I have only ever had 2 cheques returned from the bank in 10 years and the second one was about 2 months ago.

I knew both of these clients quite well and did not want to make them feel embarassed by having a conversation about it.

I re-presented the cheque again and on both occasions it cleared.

Both ladies came and asked me if their cheques had come back and then we had a jovial conversation about it.

xx

Years and years ago when 'party plans' were in full swing someone paid by cheque and it bounced. I never ever said anything to the woman I took the cheque into the bank everyday until there were enough funds in her account to pay it.

I felt jubilant that day, I had out foxed the sly fox!!!

In my salon I have only ever had 2 cheques returned from the bank in 10 years and the second one was about 2 months ago.

I knew both of these clients quite well and did not want to make them feel embarassed by having a conversation about it.

I re-presented the cheque again and on both occasions it cleared.

Both ladies came and asked me if their cheques had come back and then we had a jovial conversation about it.

xx

I didn't know you could do that! Darn it! I still have it but its been stamped all over as rejected so not sure if it'll go through again. X

It's not technically theft, it's obtaining services by deception, IF you can prove the intent to deceive, otherwise it's a civil matter. By constantly turning up at her address u wud be harassing her and she cud report u to police for it. Harsh but true.

Latest posts

Back