Clip on Hair Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess fifi

Reaction score
Has anybody tried clip on hair extensions? Do they look realistic? There is a set of 7-8 pieces that you clip on different areas on your head, Does it matter if you get a whole set in a different color than your own natural hair color to add some variation (like foils do)? or does that look weird? I have a hair colour that is hard to match, it is like a golden blonde and when the sunlight hits it, it has a strawberry tinge to it. I am thinking of buying the original diva clip ins? Any advice would be great?:smack::smack:

do a search on here for clip in hair extensions and you will find loads of advice about them.
im not a hairdresser but i bought the ones from sallys and there fab,i wouldnt recommend buying them in a completely different colour to your hair though as i think it would just look you you didnt match your hair colour.xx

Hiyah

Im not a hair geek but I do have clip in hair extensions and I love them, if the hair is human hair and not synthetic you can colour them, I had to do this as my hairdresser friend coloured my hair but used the wrong shade on me so she did my extensions at the same time, they look fab!!

I also bought blonde clip in hair from sally's and coloured them red, purple, pink and must say they look fab!!

hth
Sue x

The thing to remember with clip in extensions is they need to be attatched to something, namely a braid (a micro braid) other wise the clips ins will succomb to gravity!! Clip ins are great for people that dont want long hair all the time and the micro tracks if well done can be well hidden.
Good luck!

Def try clip ins! They are a great way of achieving length without any harsh or more permanent methods of hair extension application. I view them as a stepping stone of hair extensions, once your into them your hooked lol.

Hi loads of hair
I have been to your website while I was merrily internet cruising, that bee hive looks great, a bit Amy winehouse, but great, I have always wanted one, is it easy, or does it take heaps of practice? Do clips ins really slide out easily, or does it depend on which ones you buy, my hair is not that fine, it holds things pretty well?
Thanks girls for all your replies much appreciated!

if u are just having clip ins they are not really built to stay in for a great deal of time. . in our salon we use american dream but all the same concept really, before inserting the extension, back comb the roots and hairspray them to create a small matte where the extension will be clipped into. this will give it some grab. . also when colouring extensions beware, many of them have already been processed ALOT with chemicals so are gonna be fragile at their best. . do NOT lighten them, if they are slightly off shade putting on a semi wont do them much harm, but if u try and lighten them they will either snap, or react very badly and disintegrate. Also another tip, once u have had them clipped in by the salon and shaped to look natural and not hanging all flat and obvious, when u take them out number them so u remember which order they came out in, this will allow u to put them back in the correct position urself. . hope that helped. x

my hair is quite fine and i wore my clip ins for my brothers wedding all day without any problems.i didnt back comb my hair or use hair spray.mine are also american dream ones there website is www.hair-heaven.com .xx

Hi loads of hair
I have been to your website while I was merrily internet cruising, that bee hive looks great, a bit Amy winehouse, but great, I have always wanted one, is it easy, or does it take heaps of practice? Do clips ins really slide out easily, or does it depend on which ones you buy, my hair is not that fine, it holds things pretty well?

Hey!
The beehive is easy to do, instructions on the website, the trick is to use enough pins and to ensure the beehive is completely covered with your own hair.
The make of clip ins shouldn't affect how well they hold, as standard clip ins are usually metal and coated in the prefered colour. A trick i recommend to my clients is to back comb the hair and spray with hair spray where you intend to put the clip in extension in and then slide the clip in hair into the backcombed hair to help hold the extension.

I have clip in hair extensions that i purchased from a wig shop, although they were quite pricey, iv never had any problems with them falling out & my hair is really fine .
Id research them before buying as some extensions arent real hair and if u straighten or curl them they will singe!

Do clips ins really slide out easily, or does it depend on which ones you buy, my hair is not that fine, it holds things pretty well?

Clips ins will not slide out if you secure them to a micro braid, this is the bit people forget but if you get a good micro braid in your hair and section it well nobody will see the micro braid when the clip ins are in or out. And the fact you are clipping into a braid will stop anything sliding or giving way to gravity.

hiya
i wear clip ins, used to wear a full head and now just have two in the sides where i had a bad cut to disguise it! i also like it cos i can curl them better than my natural hair. i wear mine all day everyday and never have them sliding down, or any problems. noone has sussed them out either!
i got mine off ebay, human hair and they are fantastic
x

I just bought some American dream ones I bought 3 packs, wondered if anyone has these and if so how many do you use? As im wondering whether to buy 1 more pack. The guy at the wholesalers recommended cutting one of the wefts in half then starting at the nape area apply the 2 (1/2 sections), then put the full length ones around the head, Im wondering to buy 1 more pack?

Hi
I have clip in extensions n when they are they look great. I too have blonde hair which is hard to match as has so many different blondes in but i went to a hairdressers who colour matched exactly and the extensions do look like my own hair when in thanks to the colour matching.

My advice would be to maybe pay that bit more to have them colour matched in a salon (bout 70) where they'll colour match,order them, put them in etc n cut them if u wish and also advice you on how much you will need. will also help in showing you how to put them in.

Also, dont get tipsy n sleep in them! big mistake which ive done far too often, very shameful!

xxx

Hey, I am not a hairdresser but have been wearing clip-ins for years. Having tried various installation methods I would never look back after clip ins - they are fab and completely natural looking.

I make my own though. I buy the hair and sew the wefts together so I can create the right thickness and also measure the wefts to my head to ensure the best fit. xx

I just bought some American dream ones I bought 3 packs, wondered if anyone has these and if so how many do you use? As im wondering whether to buy 1 more pack. The guy at the wholesalers recommended cutting one of the wefts in half then starting at the nape area apply the 2 (1/2 sections), then put the full length ones around the head, Im wondering to buy 1 more pack?

Thats exactly what my hairdressers told me re use and the back comb with hairspray to hold them in place. I find them great, Im so bleached that my hair is thin so it makes me so confident.

Has anyone removed the clips and have them glued in??

the biggest advice i can give you is make sure that you clip them in high up as they blend in with your layers, the amount of girls who wear them and they just put them ear high and they look like theyv had a bad hair cut or they have had a section of hair cut and the others not!! make sure you check in the mirror youl understand what i mean im sure x

Hi mhe clip ins i have seen are straight,i have wavy/curlyish hair,are human hair lip ins available?
Thanks

Has anybody tried clip on hair extensions? Do they look realistic? There is a set of 7-8 pieces that you clip on different areas on your head, Does it matter if you get a whole set in a different color than your own natural hair color to add some variation (like foils do)? or does that look weird? I have a hair colour that is hard to match, it is like a golden blond and when the sunlight hits it, it has a strawberry tinge to it. I am thinking of buying the original diva clip ins? Any advice would be great?:smack::smack:
in my pic i have on here I am wearing my clip in extensions they work great, I don't back comb or use hair spray to put mine in tho I have thick hair and it doesn't need it, but on finer hair use hair spray and a little back combing works awesome!

Hi mhe clip ins i have seen are straight,i have wavy/curlyish hair,are human hair lip ins available?
Thanks
they have clip ins for all hair types a good place to look them up is ebay

Latest posts

Back