CND & OPI polishes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using OPI polishes for a while now and love the colours and the fantastic finish.

I recently changed my mani/pedi products to CND and also did an L&P conversion course so am now using CND for my enhancements...I'll also be using Shellac as soon as the lamps come in stock...and i use Minx too....so i'm pretty much a CND fan and am now contemplating changing my polishes to CND...I have ordered a colour and effect to try but i'm just wondering what other geeks think about the difference between the two?

Many thanks,

Sarah x

i LOVEEEE CND everyingg!!! .. BUT the colours and effects for some reason there just not for me or my clients ive had clients tht have bort 4 of the new colour and effects polishes and after a few weeks gave me them as they really didnt get on with them ( they also use cnd base and top coat) so thought i could use them on other clients!
But i lovee OPI polishes and also China glaze as they have bulit in hardens so really doo have stayin power!!

but im sure youll get lots of comments on how people love colours and effects but for me i just like the one colour mix in the bottle! and would advice you to stay with ur opi!
hope that helps! x

Argh not what i wanted to hear! :cry:

Thanks for sharing your experience with it...:) What did your clients that purchased them say was wrong? I can't imagine that they'd be so awful that they'd be returned!

x

I have only had one experience with a CND vintage polish, which stained my nails after a few days even thought I used Stickey as the base and Super Shiney as the top coat. Lovely colour but in all honesty it has put me off a little.

I use CND for natural nail care but I have been moving over slowly to OPI for the polish. The colour and effects also didnt do it for me and I love the rate at which OPI bring out new collections.

If you are happy with the performance of your OPI I would consider seriously before changing. Im not sure that I would change my polishes just so that I was only using one brand of product. Whatever you believe is the best product for the job is the right one for you.

In the favour of CND tho, im not sure about the new collection but with the old collection they were certainly cheaper to purchase than the OPI colours and left a very decent margin for retailing.

For very little outlay you can throw a couple of colours and effects onto your next cnd order and try em out for a few weeks, after all you should now how they apply, last etc before switching so that you can tell clients from your own experience why a change has been made.

i prefer OPI. i don't get the whole effects package? the colors are flat then you can add whatever "effect". it's ok. we used them in school, so i've had plenty of practical hours using them but i still prefer OPI.

Thanks for the replies :)

I do love OPI and i honestly thought the CND colours would be as fantastic as the rest of the CND products.

I like the fact that i can't buy CND in my local Sally's too and i would be able to keep adding colours to my collection each time i order some bits from S2 but as said, i need to try out on myself first, maybe then i'll get a few more and see what my clients think...

Thanks again.....and if anyone has good experiences with CND colours please let me know! :)

Sarah x

I don't think any of the above replies indicate a BAD experience with CND polishes .. rather just a different preference as the technicians don't either get/understand or just can't be bothered to buy into the CND concept that with only 50 colours and 15 effects you can make 800 different colour options without spending gazillions on hundreds of premixed colours that sit on shelves in the salon.

Some of us like mixing and changing and creating for our clients .. others just like what's already done for them and they don't have to think ... fair enough. You either like the concept or you don't ... but whether you do or not, I would recommend you try one or two of the special colour duo packs and see.

If the fact that one of the 'old' CND polishes at one time and on one person stained the cuticle layer of the nail puts you off then so be it. :lol: In the 25 years that I used the, now, old range of polishes I never ever saw that happen on any one of my clients ... so that one is a mystery!

OPI is a great brand of polish and a hugely successful one ... I'd stick with it as you know it so well and so do your clients. Try a few of the CND colour & effects for salon use and see what YOU think not just what others think. Because this question is not being answered about the polish but it is the concept that some can't seem to grasp although it seems simple enough to me. The polishes are absolutely lush and every bit "as fantastic as the rest of the CND products." But if you are not into creating different colours with different effects then it may not be for you.

Thanks Geeg,

I'm very artistic and love painting so maybe CND polishes will be for me.

I more wanted to hear about the finished result of the polishes, Opi is flawless, some polishes, such as the ones i trained at college with, just never seem to give such a good look. I also love the size of the OPI brushes, are CND ones similar? These were the kind of things i was interested in hearing.

Sarah x

Thanks Geeg,

I'm very artistic and love painting so maybe CND polishes will be for me.

I more wanted to hear about the finished result of the polishes, Opi is flawless, some polishes, such as the ones i trained at college with, just never seem to give such a good look. I also love the size of the OPI brushes, are CND ones similar? These were the kind of things i was interested in hearing.

Sarah x

Well I'm your woman for the details!! :lol:

The Polish
The polishes are a 3 free formulation and a very fast drying formula and are heavily pigmented. These features have pros & cons to them depending on how adaptable you are.

fast drying formula you means you have to polish faster and with a lighter touch and so as not keep the bottles open too long while doing it. If it dries fast on the nails (and it is super fast) then it will go thicker in the bottle if caps ore not put on tightly.

The polishes have superb coverage due to the heavy pigmentation and most often you only need one coat for the Colour and one coat for the Effect. You can make 15 different colours out of just one colour by using the different Effects.

The Bottle & Brush

The bottles are a lovely new shape and very easy to hold in the hand while using them due to the 'flat' side being perfect to trap the bottle securely with your fingers. They sport the rubberized caps for easy hold and an edgy look.

The brush to me is the coolest thing. For a start they go all the way to the bottom of the bottle and they do not have the normal round bristles but triangular ones. The benefit to you from the triangular bristles is that when using the brush correctly, all the triangles fit together to form a completely flat surface for flawless application and no drag marks. Very cool innovation.

I find the polish easy to retail to clients but you do need to point out the drying factor and tight caps etc ... after all it is a professional polish made for professionals and clients need to be given a few hints how to best use them ... these are not polishes from Boots! I haven't used the OPI brushes so I'm not sure size wise .. they'll do for me, I like the size, but are not super big.

I hope this info helps. Here is a thread form the CND Lovers group here on the site, and there are a few more if you look around there that may give you more technical info. x

Salon Geek - The Colour Revolution Starts Here!!!!

Salon Geek - CND colours and effects "AMAZING"!

Thanks for the info Geeg :) Just what i was looking for!

The brush design sounds interesting so will look forward to trying it out when my delivery arrives.

Thanks again,

Sarah x

I love CND new polish and effects, dries so much quicker than before, Is easier to apply and the colour combos you can create is unbelievable, you can actually make a colour by layering much the same as we do with shellac.
High gloss finish, and the othe thing I have noticed is they dont go gloopy like OPI colours do.
Yes OPI is easier if you want pre mixed but for me its all about tailoring unique colour combos for my clients.
The depth of colour is unbelievable and the metalic look finish is amazing.
The pics I have Inkwell base with both Amythest and Sapphire sparkle over giving an amazing 2 tone purple/pink blue/turqouise 2 tone metallic effect.
I have had sooooooooooo many comments on this colour combo.
I love it!!!

Attachments

• 130920101195.jpg
    130920101195.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 130920101192.jpg
    130920101192.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 190
I love CND new polish and effects, dries so much quicker than before, Is easier to apply and the colour combos you can create is unbelievable, you can actually make a colour by layering much the same as we do with shellac.
High gloss finish, and the othe thing I have noticed is they dont go gloopy like OPI colours do.
Yes OPI is easier if you want pre mixed but for me its all about tailoring unique colour combos for my clients.
The depth of colour is unbelievable and the metalic look finish is amazing.
The pics I have Inkwell base with both Amythest and Sapphire sparkle over giving an amazing 2 tone purple/pink blue/turqouise 2 tone metallic effect.
I have had sooooooooooo many comments on this colour combo.
I love it!!!

Now that is a lovely colour!

I want to try more of the CND polishes and will buy some of the new colour & effects when I have some spare cash when making an order. I love that you can create different effects and I only had a problem with one, so want to give them more of a chance.

I use OPI and find that their finish is flawless, as you have said. Can't wait to try some more CND polishes after Geeg's information.

This is a real bee in my bonnet and finally someone asked the direct question .... to which I have to give a direct answer.

So here goes

I like OPI polishes, but I feel they have "sold me out", they are available in many department stores here and have destroyed my retail opportunities.
This is so unfair as a professional, they have taken away my opportunity to make money, what next ? home acrylic kits.

CND have maintained integrity as a professional brand, even though I don't use CND, I would back them to the max as being professional, at the recent trade show the new range was there and it looked incredible.

CND range is financially better to stock (as now they are mix and match for effects).

I think OPI have gone overboard and have too many colours to stock and remain affordable, most clients will go to their nearest retail store rather than buy from you.

When OPI started to sell in department stores they became "domestic" whereas Creative have remained "professional".

That's what you have to think of ...retail opportunities and "domestic" versus "professional".

I totally agree Nailzoo, this is one of the reasons i want to use a more professional range. x

busybee32 them colours do look fantastic :)

If i was to buy some CND polishes to start off with do you think it better to get all the shimmers and a selection of colours or a few shimmers and more colours?

Thanks x

I have loads of the old vintage cnd colours, And I mean loads!
At present I have 3 colours and 3 effects and the colour combos are huge with just those 6 bottles.
I honestly think its down to your personal preference over what to buy, maybe equal amounts of each. You can also use the effects as a colour in their own right.
pick a few choice colours and then build your collection from there, once you start you will be hooked.
Jen xx

Excellent, thanks Jen, really looking forward to trying them :)

You're very welcome hun xxxx:hug:
Enjoy x

I adore CND Colour and Effects and so do my clients. They really enjoy the whole bespoke process. I have a few nail disks already painted up and there is a colour wheel to give clients an idea of the concept. You can also get a Look Book from Sweet Squared for clients to see the colours and effects on the catwalk. You have to get the Sweet and Sugar Sparkle collection box - clients love the sparkle effect! I started off with a few and now have all of them but about 4/5, they are addictive! I am eagerly awaiting the new Teal colour and effect .......................

Latest posts

Back