CND polish vs O.P.I.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty geek 84

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am thinking of changing over to cnd from opi polishes. Just because I dont want a miss match of brands (o.c.d)

What i'd like to know is what products/polishes you use to ensure a long lasting manicure?

Ive read about capping the edges. Is this like you do with shellac? Unfortunately my training with college was a bit lack lustre!!

Currently use opi base coat and super shiny top coat.

Thanks ya'll!

Well, OPI polishes are probably the best known brand of professional polish because they always have really promoted and advertised it for more than 25 years.

CND have taken a different approach and produced Colour & Effects which is a different concept with just 50 colours and 15 effects you can make hundreds of colours . Not everyone 'gets it'. Some just want it all done for them and are happy to pay twice as much. CND polishes also dry much faster but that also means you have to polish quicker.

Two different concepts, two brilliant polishes ... It really depends what you want.

Retail with OPI is easier with one bottle all ready mixed for you. But then Since Shellac, polish retail is down in any case.

I do love my CND polishes though as they dry so fast. Take your pick!

Last edited:
I like the idea of the colour and effects from CND but it was just going to be too much haing to retail 2 bottles for clients, so I use zoya polish (it last well and the colours are lovely).

No experience in OPI, but one thing that has been the best thing i have introduced to the salon this year is Lumos top and base coats! A must with any polish range I say!

The one thing I don't like about OPI regular polishes is they get thick half way through the bottle. Zoya is a little bit better, but I have great success with China Glaze. Goes on just like OPI, wears just as well and doesn't get thick until just about empty, and it is a lot cheaper here. Not sure if you have access to it overseas.

I think we are all going to see polish sales take a hit (we already are doing) since Shellac. Having said that, since Shellac our business has soared head of any polish sales we might have made so not missing it.

We sell tonnes of Scentsations hand and body lotions, citrus soothing cream and the matching hand and body washes and make a much better return on them than polish so we are concentrating our efforts in that direction. Makes life in the salon more interesting to change the focus now and then. :biggrin:

I thought this would happen when I took on shellac, but I still sell a lot of polishes, and a lot of my clients have gone back to polish particularly on toes as they find it last just the same but is easier to remove.

Something I never thought would happen

I thought this would happen when I took on shellac, but I still sell a lot of polishes, and a lot of my clients have gone back to polish particularly on toes as they find it last just the same but is easier to remove.

Something I never thought would happen

Interesting .. Our clients are Shellacking their toes and of course love the instant dry time even if polish does last as long theoretically. Shellac looks great for 6 weeks on toes and isn't messes up before the client gets home.

The one thing I don't like about OPI regular polishes is they get thick half way through the bottle. Zoya is a little bit better, but I have great success with China Glaze. Goes on just like OPI, wears just as well and doesn't get thick until just about empty, and it is a lot cheaper here. Not sure if you have access to it overseas.

I completely disagree with this. I have a lot of OPI polishes at home, some which I have had for many years, and none of them have gone thick.

CND do dry very quickly and you often only need one coat, but I do find that they thicken quite quickly.

Interesting .. Our clients are Shellacking their toes and of course love the instant dry time even if polish does last as long theoretically. Shellac looks great for 6 weeks on toes and isn't messes up before the client gets home.

My clients dont find a problem with the dry time they usually go home after having toes done anyway, I agree shellac is shiny and lasts well. But now I have lumos the nail polish dries quickly and they never make a mess of it, they are well trained. :lol:

I agree shellac is better is going abroad as the shine stays and is not worn away like with polish. But a few of them cant be bothered with the removal so have gone back to polish. Suprised me too.

I really thought I would see a drop in nail varnish sales since I took on shellac hench my stock has been lower but am selling more than ever, think the amazing zoya colours helps!

I completely disagree with this. I have a lot of OPI polishes at home, some which I have had for many years, and none of them have gone thick.

CND do dry very quickly and you often only need one coat, but I do find that they thicken quite quickly.

Are the bottles half empty?

Are the bottles half empty?

I have some that have even less in and they are still great to use, that's why I've always loved OPI polishes! I don't remember ever needing to thin one :biggrin:

I used OPI in the past and the thing I found most difficult with it was the size of the brush, to big for me, I now use china glaze and the brush is a lot better for me and I love the range of colours they do :)

I used OPI in the past and the thing I found most difficult with it was the size of the brush, to big for me, I now use china glaze and the brush is a lot better for me and I love the range of colours they do :)

I love the big OPI brush! I find others too small as I'm so used to OPI now. The China glaze one feels tiny to me. I also find that China Glaze doesn't last a long time on me.

I will use CND if anyone ever wants a normal manicure instead of Shellac (which hasn't happened so far) as I use all CND poducts but my personal preference for myself is for OPI.

I love the big OPI brush! I find others too small as I'm so used to OPI now. The China glaze one feels tiny to me. I also find that China Glaze doesn't last a long time on me.

I will use CND if anyone ever wants a normal manicure instead of Shellac (which hasn't happened so far) as I use all CND poducts but my personal preference for myself is for OPI.

Have you tried Essie, now that is a tiny brush to me lol

Personally, I prefer OPI polishes. Dry quicker, they have alot of colours that the CND polished and effects cannot create. Also, they bring out so many new ones all the time.

Also, they are bringing out their version of shellac in January....

They are made to Match your OPI polishes which is great usp. Also, solvent free and apparently no need to buff the natural nail before hand! I personally can't wait to try this stuff! Hope it lives up to expectations! x

I love OPI and the big brushes just makes it so much neater for me. I did get a CND polish to try and I didn't really like it but I think thats just because I have go so used to the OPI polishes

Have you tried Essie, now that is a tiny brush to me lol

I have a few Essie ones and I can't bear the tiny brush! I actually have some mini Essie polishes - nightmare!

I have some that have even less in and they are still great to use, that's why I've always loved OPI polishes! I don't remember ever needing to thin one :biggrin:

Interesting, because that hasn't been my experience at all. But I used mine on a regular basis with clients, so not sure if that makes a difference. Never have the problem with China Glaze. Weird how people have different experiences with the same product, uh? :wink2:

Personally, I prefer OPI polishes. Dry quicker, they have alot of colours that the CND polished and effects cannot create. Also, they bring out so many new ones all the time.

Also, they are bringing out their version of shellac in January....

They are made to Match your OPI polishes which is great usp. Also, solvent free and apparently no need to buff the natural nail before hand! I personally can't wait to try this stuff! Hope it lives up to expectations! x

Really no need to buff the natural nail?? Now you have said that I am even more excited to see it, waiting for my rep to come and show me.

Love O.P.I. Pure quality in a nail varnish. I've been a fan for years, everything about it is awesome & couldn't fault it.

Latest posts

Back