CND Shellac frustration

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNailBarista

Reaction score
I'm having a slight frustration towards CND Shellac......

Please people, keep in mind, I'm not bashing CND in anyway what so ever, please don't get me wrong, I use it, I love it, no complaints about the actual product itself..... What kinda bothers me, is their advertisement techniques....

I use to advertise my gel nail polish on my price list as "Gel Nail Polish" I then had to change it to "Gel Nail Polish Shellac".

Before I changed it, either no one really knew what it was, or they would sit in my chair expecting to get nail extensions with gel overlay, so I found myself always needing to explain to my clients before they were booked in what gel nail polish was..... When I added the 'shellac' part, THEN they knew exactly what it was.

I also get many clients who know CND Shellac because they have researched it on the website, and when they chose their colour and I pull out a Gelish or OPI Gelcolour ect..., they automatically are taken aback thinking I use, cheap, fake, copycat products..... This is all due to CND's advert techniques by saying everything else is basically crap.... It's frustrating because 'keeping in mind, I do love CND' I actually find, personally, that Gelish and OPI have more pros then cons, and are high quality gels!!!!

I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this one, I just don't like when companies down grade other companies.

I dnt like 'bashing' other brands either.
I jst did a Gellux course, and heard my tutor say Cnd are "rubbish" and that mixes like 'megamix' are rubbish and fiddly too!

Firstly..I use cnd for l&p and apart from there nail glue (which is pants!?) I love it, and megamix is, MEGA!? love the stuff...
It's unprofessional and unnecessary.

I'm having a slight frustration towards CND Shellac......

Please people, keep in mind, I'm not bashing CND in anyway what so ever, please don't get me wrong, I use it, I love it, no complaints about the actual product itself..... What kinda bothers me, is their advertisement techniques....

I use to advertise my gel nail polish on my price list as "Gel Nail Polish" I then had to change it to "Gel Nail Polish Shellac".

Before I changed it, either no one really knew what it was, or they would sit in my chair expecting to get nail extensions with gel overlay, so I found myself always needing to explain to my clients before they were booked in what gel nail polish was..... When I added the 'shellac' part, THEN they knew exactly what it was.

I also get many clients who know CND Shellac because they have researched it on the website, and when they chose their colour and I pull out a Gelish or OPI Gelcolour ect..., they automatically are taken aback thinking I use, cheap, fake, copycat products..... This is all due to CND's advert techniques by saying everything else is basically crap.... It's frustrating because 'keeping in mind, I do love CND' I actually find, personally, that Gelish and OPI have more pros then cons, and are high quality gels!!!!

I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this one, I just don't like when companies down grade other companies.

I use O.P.I Gel Colour and often have people ask 'is it like Shellac'? I say, it's a similar product from another well respected manufacturer.

I don't have an issue marketing it as 'O.P.I Gel Colour on my website and marketing materials/price lists.

I think the issue you have is that you advertise Shellac but use OPI and Gelish, If I was coming to you specifically for Shellac (and you advertised it as such) and you pulled out another brand (even a good one) I'd be unhappy too.

CNDs marketing is excellent and millions of consumers around the globe instantly recognise and know CND Shellac ...as per your clients as you said yourself.

I don't think they downgrade other companies /products at all, CND shellac is unique in its field so they are entitled to make that distinction and was the trail blazer .
cnd shellac is instantly recognised by the consumer by name alone then kudos to them just seperate your services on your chart if its confusing to clients.....CND shellac prices and colours on one and xyz on a separate chart.

Do you not feel that you are compounding the problem by describing your gel polish services as "shellac" when they often in fact aren't?

Isn't this an internal communication problem rather than anything to do with CND's marketing? To me this is about managing customer expectation & informing the client clearly about treatments.

Wouldn't it be more wise to call it a 2 week gel manicure or similar & then describe the service in your price list by saying "using your choice of colour from leading brands CND Shellac, OPI gelcolor..."

My clients aren't confused. Your clients don't have to be either :D

I use O.P.I Gel Colour and often have people ask 'is it like Shellac'? I say, it's a similar product from another well respected manufacturer.

I don't have an issue marketing it as 'O.P.I Gel Colour on my website and marketing materials/price lists.

I think the issue you have is that you advertise Shellac but use OPI and Gelish, If I was coming to you specifically for Shellac (and you advertised it as such) and you pulled out another brand (even a good one) I'd be unhappy too.

You'd have to see my price list to understand.... I do advertise the use of the other brands. I truly believe that it's their advertisement because it tons of their videos or adverts it tells consumers not to be fooled by imitation brands, indirectly talking about all other gel nail polish brands. I mean we all have our own opinion right! Which is perfectly okay! I'll attach a price of my price list so you can see. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405193707.864003.jpg

Here's a pic of my gel nail Polish prices list where I list the companies I use. As I said earlier they didn't understand what gel nail polish was UNTIL I added the word shellac beside it. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405193969.473266.jpg

You'd have to see my price list to understand.... I do advertise the use of the other brands. I truly believe that it's their advertisement because it tons of their videos or adverts it tells consumers not to be fooled by imitation brands, indirectly talking about all other gel nail polish brands. I mean we all have our own opinion right! Which is perfectly okay! I'll attach a price of my price list so you can see. View attachment 70288

Aah I see :)

You've got Shellac in larger letters, under the heading and separate from the other brand names. All some see is Shellac. But I get your point about how this has bought you custom.

This may be why people are confused? I think the suggestions from Willow Rose on how to word it is perfect.

Here's a pic of my gel nail Polish prices list where I list the companies I use. As I said earlier they didn't understand what gel nail polish was UNTIL I added the word shellac beside it. View attachment 70289

Oh.... I should also mention the fact that beside the opi Gelcolor is CND Shellac. I know some people will mention the fact that I advertise that I use shellac but don't actually use it, but I do use it and it is advertised..... just cropped it out for this post.

Aah I see :)

You've got Shellac in larger letters, under the heading and separate from the other brand names. All some see is Shellac. But I get your point about how this has bought you custom.

This may be why people are confused? I think the suggestions from Willow Rose on how to word it is perfect.

I know what you guys are trying to say, and I appreciate feedback! Love it! But as I mentioned, my clients didn't know what gel nail polish was until I added the word shellac to my price list... The problem I'm trying to get across isn't the word shellac on my price list, the problem is consumers thinking gel nail polish is actually called shellac, at least in canada it seems this way :D haha

Surely calling shellac a gel polish is where your going wrong, shellac is in fact a hybrid "POWER POLISH" not a gel. Maybe if there was no mention of gel on your price list, clients wouldn't think the are getting gel enhancements or gel overlays? I might be wrong but that's what I've always been taught, and its how I describe shellac to clients :)

I think I have to agree with the comments above. I use Gelish and CND Shellac and when I advertise I never use the word Gel polish.
When clients come into my studio and see the two different wall racks - one with Shellac and one with Gelish - they ask what the difference is and so I explain. I think using words Shellac and gel together is causing confusion maybe?

Alright guys! Loved all your feedback, time to make a new price list, off to the drawing board it is!

It seems you are suffering from the 'Forced Customary Name' dilema! CND's advertising and product placement in the market is so effective that the consumer calling a two week gel polish 'Shellac is almost the norm. In the same way that in the UK nearly all vacuum cleaners are referred to as Hoovers (which is in fact only one Brand name).

A customary name is a name a consumer gives to product, which in fact has no meaning to the actual product or purpose they use it for.

A great food example is a canned 'Hot Dog' we all know its not actually hot or a dog (heaven forbid), but a processed pork sausage in a can.

In the same way you will find that actually most clients know it is not 'Shellac' they might want or have when they have a two week gel nail service, but they have adopted the term Shellac as their Customary name for their preferred nail service.

I'm not sure how you fix it though.... you will need an other Geek to help you with this

Good Luck x

It seems you are suffering from the 'Forced Customary Name' dilema! CND's advertising and product placement in the market is so effective that the consumer calling a two week gel polish 'Shellac is almost the norm. In the same way that in the UK nearly all vacuum cleaners are referred to as Hoovers (which is in fact only one Brand name).

A customary name is a name a consumer gives to product, which in fact has no meaning to the actual product or purpose they use it for.

A great food example is a canned 'Hot Dog' we all know its not actually hot or a dog (heaven forbid), but a processed pork sausage in a can.

In the same way you will find that actually most clients know it is not 'Shellac' they might want or have when they have a two week gel nail service, but they have adopted the term Shellac as their Customary name for their preferred nail service.

I'm not sure how you fix it though.... you will need an other Geek to help you with this

Good Luck x

This is exactly how I feel!!!

Good Luck x

Thank you, this is exactly how I feel. Was starting to think I was alone on this one.

I have
Gel/shellac manicure.....
On my price list, never have a problem. I always explain the difference on booking or enquiring, and if I have a client with NO idea, I end up explaining acrylic as well.
They like the fact that you aren't treating them like they're stupid, and you take the time to explain things to them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I offer Shellac/Gel polishes too, but 99% of clients ask for Shellac.
(An indication that CND captured the market at the start and put their brand under our noses)
On my separate colour wheels I have clearly marked "Shellac", "OPI Gelcolor", and "Gelish" so clients are informed of what they choose. As I carry almost the full range of Shellac, it's the brand that's most often chosen.

Sorry to interrupt the thread! I have a lot of potential new clients ringing up asking if I do gel polish. I only do CND Shellac and don't like calling it gel polish so I usually say no but I do CND Shellac. Some of them have said oh ok and that's the end of the phone call and others have asked me what the difference is so I've explained but I think I confuse them! What do you say if they ask for gel polish? Xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

Surely calling shellac a gel polish is where your going wrong, shellac is in fact a hybrid "POWER POLISH" not a gel. Maybe if there was no mention of gel on your price list, clients wouldn't think the are getting gel enhancements or gel overlays? I might be wrong but that's what I've always been taught, and its how I describe shellac to clients :)

Shellac is just as much of a gel polish than gelish, it's so irritating when people think it's actually a hybrid of standard nail polish and gel.. It really isn't it was a way of marketing it when it first launched.. When shellac was first launched I think all (or most) gel products where thicker sculpting gels and where in little pots and applied with a gel brush, and I think most of them, maybe all of them where file off... So the marketing slogan applies like polish (because you apply it out of a bottle with it's own wand, and the thinner consistency). Wears like a gel (because it is a gel). Removes in minutes (been a soak off product). It's not a hybrid at all, it was just further advancements in gel technology, and at the time it was a new thing or any of the other competitors weren't well marketed yet or known to the public.. So that's was the perfect and easily understandable way to market it.

Latest posts

Back