Colleague smells like alchohol

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
Would love your experience with this sensitive topic. Have any of you had to confront someone about this? What are the steps that need to be taken? I'm her supervisor, and feel responsible to get involved.

We've already spoke to her after a written client complaint, once. I honestly don't think she's drunk, just not washing her hair, or changing her underclothes after a night out. I think if she was intoxicated it would be easier to confront for me.

Do any of you mandate in writing a daily shower, clean clothes, etc.? I've seen it in employee manuals when I've worked in other settings, but in the beauty industry you would think this would be a no-brainer!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jesse

Last edited:
Oooh what an uncomfortable situation, I think however hard it is you will just have to be upfront with her and say someone has complained. Fresh clothes are a must for someone working with the public up close and personal. Does she wear a uniform? if so and you buy them maybe get her another one and tell her she needs to wear a fresh one every day. :hug:

what did she say when you spoke to her before?

Ask her why she has not made a change. Does she normally work well and seem to enjoy/appreciate her job or is she just doing it for the money? Maybe she doesn't really care.

Maybe let her know that it has been noticed by clients and that if it happens again you will have to give her a written warning.

I've worked in salons that can be very picky, from the way you tie up your hair to having to bring in a tooth brush if you smoke. I think this is a completely acceptable topic because it is the image of your salon she is promoting.

Let's hope she doesn't come on Salon Geek and read your thread!:smack:

Maybe it's what she needs to do?

Sometimes being 'nice' and 'discreet' doesn't fix things.
Sometimes we have to be much more direct and to the point.
If being 'delicate' hasn't worked, then set her straight; and it can be done politely, while still being VERY clear and concise.

Perhaps something along the lines of "I appreciate a good time as much as anyone, and I wouldn't begrudge you an evening out having drinks. (indicating that you realize she's not drunk at work, but she's just as entitled as anyone to go out and that after hours is none of the salon's business) But we all know how alcohol seeps through the skin the next day, and the odour lingers. I've had it happen to myself. (showing empathy) Please take extra care following nights out, and ensure that you are freshly showered & uniformed when you show up for work as clients are easily put off and may not be as understanding." (this is the clear and concise part. You've made a request, explained the reasoning behind it, all without saying "you stink" which would be insulting)

There is no confusion here. It's direct, to the point.
Mind you, I'm a direct kind of person... and not timid by any means.
Some might have a lighter way of saying it, but then she may not take it as seriously.

hth's

Definately thought about that. As much as I've shared my love for this site at work, no one I know of has caught on and actually joined or anything.

What did she say last time? "Well, So-and-so (client) doesn't like me , cause she's (ex-employee's) friend and had it out for me." Not exactly remorseful.

What is holding me back, is I, myself, have not actually smelled anything on her. But since said incident, the rumor mill has been running. Apparently there was a day she tried to call out, and front desk, said "No, we can't move your clients, you need to come in." and she was really hungover. If I had been on, probably would've cancelled the client!

But if I notice it, I will probably use Victoria's script (thank you) and address it with her.

Thanks everyone!

But if I notice it, I will probably use Victoria's script (thank you) and address it with her.

Thanks everyone!

You're most welcome, and best of luck!

As much as we love to quote others, I think it's best to own this yourself and say that you're not happy as you think that she needs to address her personal hygiene issues.

It's a tough one but do you really want her working there is she can't be even bothered to wash???? xxx

Just a reminder - there is a health condition that makes people smell like this, I think it is ketosis suffered by those with diabetes or by eating no carbs so their body relys on fat supplies. Just be careful that you are not seen to be accusing someone of alcoholism:)

Yes no one wants to accuse anyone .... and yes she may be depressed and yes she may have alcohol problems! ..... and then again she may not !
who knows ....
but there is a business to run here and she has a responsible paying job
and if she has any alcohol problems then she needs to get help or the truth is she may lose her job.......

on the other hand she may have just been out on a few wild nights and came in looking and smelling as rough as a dogs backside
who knows ? .......
also ask her does she have any health problems that may be affecting her and that you should know about ?.....

perhaps a private talk with her first and see if she will open up to you
(if she has a problem she must get some proper help)
but lots of moral support is good

I really do hope she hasn't got any alcohol problems
and hopefully it was just a few wild nights out
if so you would be helping her nip it in the bud by saying something :hug:

its a very hard to help people who have got real alcohol problems.... let alone anyone admitting it.......
you cant help them until they want to be helped themselves

I personally would want to send out a strong but nice message to her and would have told her to go back home
(not driving was she ?) to have a shower freshen herself up and come back looking better presented

she may not come back as bed may be a better option for her and yourself

but .... she may very well be grateful to you for giving her the option to freshen up
and at least you have been fair to her plus you will have semi tackled the problem so you can talk to her about it at a later date

I too don't think its fair that others should put up with the stale odours not to mention the disappointed customers :eek:

Latest posts

Back