Colouring grey hair which brands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
Hi Hairys or hairies?!
I have a client whos hair is grey and have used Wella Kolleston to try and cover the grey(white) It didnt take very well, although it covered just! you could still see lighter strands where it didnt cover so well and I have tried another brand Loreal majirel which definately covers better. My question is have other hair geeks had this problem with hard to colour grey hair if so which brands are you using and did you have better results?
Years ago I remember something about pre softening with peroxide and water? but not sure, and I dont think that is used these days anyway.
Any help or suggestions with different colours much appreciated. My client is a 6/0 base

what was her target colour hun?

i used to do a lady who had thick coarse grey hair and it took several attempts to reach her target shade!! she chose a red shade.

I use Koleston & in the end I think i used one of the intense colours, if you look on the shade chart eg. 6/0 ( dark blonde ). next to it is 66/0 ( intense dark blond ) they have more oomph & I leave the colour on for 45 mins with 20 vols.
Ive tried pre-softening with 20 vols in the past, cant see any result really, bit of a waste of time!!
hth
xx

Yes I used the intense 66/0 plus 6% and still not really what Id call a perfect amount of coverage, (I had rang the helpline to ask their suggestions and this is what they recommended their intense range.) anyway it wasnt the best so I switched to using Loreal majirel and it seems better. Basically she wants to be around a 6/0 with a small amount of red so far the ratio I have is better with loreal I just wondered if there were any other brands people had used with good results. Thanks for replying. Yeah i wondered whether pre softening would really do much.

CLYNOL - there latest range is superb for grey coverage, i never have achieved coverage like it, i would use there 6.0+ and add red mix tone in to give you the red tone, use it with 9% and it gives 100% coverage.

try it you will be suprised!

xx

Matrix socolor has a Grey series and it does a wonderful job.When I come across a stubborn area of grey, like around the face, I will first apply the developer only and let it sit while I go mix up the color, come back towel wipe the developer off and apply the color. works every time.
why does it work? because the developer softens the cuticle of the white grey hair allowing the color to absorb easier.

Try Affinage hair colours, they give really good grey coverage, also Voila's melange colours.
Affinage UK - Products

I use Voila (cream) with 10 volume. On more resistant heads I process longer, 40 45 minutes as opposed to 35. Excellent Grey coverage.

Loreal do a supreme range which is for anyone with 80% or more grey hair
if the majirel worked well then the supreme range will give your a better more natural look, good luck.

Hi Hairys or hairies?!
I have a client whos hair is grey and have used Wella Kolleston to try and cover the grey(white) It didnt take very well, although it covered just! you could still see lighter strands where it didnt cover so well and I have tried another brand Loreal majirel which definately covers better. My question is have other hair geeks had this problem with hard to colour grey hair if so which brands are you using and did you have better results?
Years ago I remember something about pre softening with peroxide and water? but not sure, and I dont think that is used these days anyway.
Any help or suggestions with different colours much appreciated. My client is a 6/0 base

Hi , i use joico which seems to work well, but if i get a problem then i pre soften with 6% liquid peroxide put under heat while i mix up my other colour and that really seems to work, i have used l'oreal before and there .o range is really good and no pre soften needed but if its still stuborn use 6.0+6.3 should work a treat.

My hairdresser pre softens mine as mine is so subborn with grey, starting to work out really expensive though getting it dont every three weeks so i dont look like grey scary geek

Tried wella didnt get on with it although nice colours majerel works much better on me.

Hi

I have koleston and clynol and find both give great grey coverage.

I would have said 66/0 and an inch of /33 with 9% if its really grey with koleston, refreshing with colour touch on the ends say 6/71 with no base tone added if she needs it.

Using clynol i would have gone for 6.0+ and some mix tone.I also like the clynol 6.14 its a really nice colour. I don't pre-soften havent done for years and years as i find if you up your peroxide or add mix tone it does the trick.

Koleston and just been relaunched and they have some really lovely new shades.

I have always used 6% for this client and for colours adding depth and for coverage of grey. A few geeks have suggested 9% do you think that would cover better, as im not too sure as she is so white/grey! and I need to add the colour not to lift it any? thanks

i use natrique. they have a NN series which is great for grey coverage. agreed with sophiea-sometimes you need to increase processing to 45 mins. there are several solutions from clarifying the hair prior to applying the color to presoftening with straight color, to adding more N or G to the formula to take care of the grey. you may have to create two separate forumlas depending upon the amount of grey and where it's concentrated etc.

Hey there mminxs, welcome to the forum, glad you made it over here and see you posting. ;)

How is that Natrique colorline coming along? Last time I saw you posting anything about it , you were still thinking about it.
How about you starting a new thread about it ?

I have always used 6% for this client and for colours adding depth and for coverage of grey. A few geeks have suggested 9% do you think that would cover better, as im not too sure as she is so white/grey! and I need to add the colour not to lift it any? thanks

Hi

If the grey is stubbon i use 9% not to lift the hair, but to allow the colour to have extra strength to penetrate those stubbon greys. Its like some of the intensive reds you use 9% for them to get in there and grip better, i know it sounds double dutch but it does work.

HTH

Hi

If the grey is stubbon i use 9% not to lift the hair, but to allow the colour to have extra strength to penetrate those stubbon greys. Its like some of the intensive reds you use 9% for them to get in there and grip better, i know it sounds double dutch but it does work.

HTH
thanks for the help, yes I get you!!

Hi

HTH

I'm confused...Majirel instructions state: Use only with 20 volume oxidant (6%)?!! Will it be safe to use the 9% or am I being a pussy? :!:

I use Kolesten Perfect and mix with 20% but am finding that my grey roots don't cover as dark, I use a mix of 5.0 and a little 5.37, can anyone recommend something for better coverage at the root area? It always looks lighter to me :confused: Would the intense or supreme be better and are the colour nos the same in this? Thanks for any advice, my hairdresser is on maternity leave at the moment and I don't want to bother her and I usually buy the colour from Sally's and do my 2 weekly roots in between her visits anyway!

Latest posts

Back