Competitor complaining!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lysa.G

Reaction score
I have broken into a new area, I am established in my own area. So far in the last 5 weeks my days have been full. And going really good with great feedback. Thats until today:(
There is only one competitor and the salon owner has messaged me asking why i am encroaching on her
patch asking why i am putting offers on. That its not fair on her etc etc. I did reply to the words of i am sorry you feel that way but i am entitled to make offers and advertise my business and that in the 20+ years of trading i have never had a competitor complain about healthy competition! Has this ever happened to any of you and if so how did you handle it??
pstc

How close to eachother are your salons?
I've not been in your position but I'd maybe go and speak to her.
You'd be better making a friend of her than an enemy.

There is nothing wrong with competition, it keeps you on your toes so to speak. :) xx

I would have ignored it.

You can't reason with someone who is unreasonable.

Hmm this is a tricky one. Yes there is no harm in healthy competition,but I wouldn't like to form an opinion unless I knew the ins and outs of it. For example, there's a girl who's coming into my area undercutting my prices and its really got my back up, because she was one of my clients who asked me all about nail art etc etc and I told her loads that I learnt on my courses, and now she's put herself through the cheapest quickest course going and is trying to poach my clients. I haven't said anything to her, and so far none of my clients have left. So I'm really focusing on my own business and offering the best that I can to my clients. I'm not accusing you of doing that, just showing one side of a story.
it's always handy to have friends in the business so could you maybe try to work together some way? I tried to make relations with a local salon where I am (I was careful not to undercut them and I also offer different nail treatments to them so theres a variety) but they weren't happy. Does she offer anything you don't or vice versa? Maybe you could try to work something out that way? Not sure if that's helped or not lol. Xxx

We are within the same area, with 5 minute walk. There are 5 hairdressers, only one other salon that offers Bio Sculpture nails. I offer all CND Shellac being my main earners plus beauty too.
I would normally ignore this sort of thing but she was quite rude. I think I'm far too long in the tooth for pettiness. But am quite surprised too!

Hmm this is a tricky one. Yes there is no harm in healthy competition,but I wouldn't like to form an opinion unless I knew the ins and outs of it. For example, there's a girl who's coming into my area undercutting my prices and its really got my back up, because she was one of my clients who asked me all about nail art etc etc and I told her loads that I learnt on my courses, and now she's put herself through the cheapest quickest course going and is trying to poach my clients. I haven't said anything to her, and so far none of my clients have left. So I'm really focusing on my own business and offering the best that I can to my clients. I'm not accusing you of doing that, just showing one side of a story.
it's always handy to have friends in the business so could you maybe try to work together some way? I tried to make relations with a local salon where I am (I was careful not to undercut them and I also offer different nail treatments to them so theres a variety) but they weren't happy. Does she offer anything you don't or vice versa? Maybe you could try to work something out that way? Not sure if that's helped or not lol. Xxx

When this lady opened her salon I sent her a message wishing her lots of luck, as we are both CND qualified.She knew that I was also coming into the area and am established for 20+ years 5 miles up the road.
The only product we both do the same is L&P. She uses different branded products for her other services.
I certainly do not want to get her back up, but to send me messages of not a very nice nature is pushing it, I think. I have since ignored her other messages (had 3 others since) which she has sent to me and kept a dignified silence.

She will have to cool down eventually. The only advice I can give is that you ensure that you don't drop your prices (whilst offering deals) to such a price that your actually almost working for nothing..

Don't enter into any slanging match & maintain a professional approach at all times...

Customers are always free to pick & choose who they wish to have their treatments with, so just ensure that your work is beyond reproach & never happen to criticise her to clients..

When this lady opened her salon I sent her a message wishing her lots of luck, as we are both CND qualified.She knew that I was also coming into the area and am established for 20+ years 5 miles up the road.
The only product we both do the same is L&P. She uses different branded products for her other services.
I certainly do not want to get her back up, but to send me messages of not a very nice nature is pushing it, I think. I have since ignored her other messages (had 3 others since) which she has sent to me and kept a dignified silence.

Well in that case sounds like she's just spitting the dummy. It's not professional of her to be ranting about others. She should put that energy into her own business. Good luck with taking on your new area xxx

Annoying and rude but I would ignore her.
As an ex copper I would also keep hold of the messages she's sent just incase.

Annoying and rude but I would ignore her.
As an ex copper I would also keep hold of the messages she's sent just incase.

I was going to 'block' her, decided not to as the messages will then disappear!!

Thanks girls for your replies, it's been on my mind all day. People never use to be so rude, but in today's technology anything can happen. Even an older girl can get upset by things. Thank goodness I have you all for honest words of wisdom.xx

If she's sending you rude messages, dread to think what she may be saying to customers. Unprofessional. Hope it's all sorted reasonably and def keep the messages - do a screen shot of them.

Just hope she's not some rough bird! You hear of problems with people supposedly tiptoeing on other peoples patches with the good old ice-cream vans & things kicking off.. But the fact is, no patch belongs to anyone. I myself simply work within a 5 mile radius from my home (as I'm mobile) & should anyone want my services beyond that then I charge £1 a mile thereafter.. We all win some & loose some and thats really the end of story.
If she's loosing clients its something she is doing wrong. Maybe she comes across as aggressive & people simply don't like her mannerisims ?!

If she sends anything else. I might be inclined to google some sort of Cease & Desist standard sort of letter & formally copy & paste it into a message & send that to her ... Hopefully she should get the message then..

I have broken into a new area, I am established in my own area. So far in the last 5 weeks my days have been full. And going really good with great feedback. Thats until today:(
There is only one competitor and the salon owner has messaged me asking why i am encroaching on her
patch asking why i am putting offers on. That its not fair on her etc etc. I did reply to the words of i am sorry you feel that way but i am entitled to make offers and advertise my business and that in the 20+ years of trading i have never had a competitor complain about healthy competition! Has this ever happened to any of you and if so how did you handle it??
pstc

I can totally understand why she's sooo p......sed off with you! She's had 100% of the market up until now, and you've come in (in her territory) and potentially ruined it for her! BUT, it;s called business
for a reason!

There's a little saying,
Keep talking about me, you're making me famous.

This lady bitching about how you are encroaching, doing offers, better etc is actually raising your profile, so let her whine to her hearts content. Your not in business to make best friends, so just ignore, and never talk about competitors to clients.

I disagree with the friend making advice.

Is it possible to be friends with someone who sends you nasty emails? Trying to bully you out of the area?

Would you advise a child to go make friends with their bully?

I disagree with the friend making advice.

Is it possible to be friends with someone who sends you nasty emails? Trying to bully you out of the area?

Would you advise a child to go make friends with their bully?

I really don't think the child/bully example is like this situation at all, and I don't think the poster who gave the advice meant by 'friends' that these ladies should be bosom pals in a non-working environment. We are not in the school yard anymore and I believe we should act professionally as I think the OP has done in this instance.

It is always better to be on professionally amicable terms with competitors then waging war with each other. Best to just be polite, pleasant and dignified and keep your distance; you always win in the end doing that.

Last edited:
Where I work there's easily 10 salons in walking distance from us. It's most definitely competition near me, however if you ask me this lady is clearly feeling worried about your salon ruling hers.
I think you did the right thing replying kindly but from now on I'd leave her to be sour. Clearly she feels you're tough competition to beat and instead is trying to attack you on a personal rather than professional level.:D

Kill her with kindness.

Always leave your door open to her. Hear what she has to say, but never respond and do what you want to do. Be the "senior statesman." Never, ever say a bad word about her or her work.

The best thing to happen is for her to bad mouth you to someone and have them reply, "She always speaks well of you!"

I wouldn't even respond/react or get hooked in. Professionally and personally I don't have the time nor head space to deal with other peoples issues that have absolutely nothing to do with me or my business. Competition is a fact of life, I don't see Asdas, Sainsburys or Tescos texting one another over the price of things! Like the other geeks have said, I wouldn't bad mouth her, but wouldn't befriend her either even on any level.

Latest posts

Back