Complaint Received regarding these nails...please critique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreativelyNails

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks!, I haven't been on in such a long time, I even forgot my original details to login so have logged in as my business name instead.
I recently had a lady visit me for some white tip acrylic enhancements, these were her choice rather than sculpts or shellac, even though I suggested she gave these a try. The white tip application is cheaper and that is what she went for. Her wedding was the next day, and she was very happy with her nails, signed her client card, actually claimed they were "pukka" :confused:. Anyway on Monday I received a text telling me her mates were shocked at her nails and she now realised that they looked like they needed infilling, she said they had dips and had grown out. Now I was always trained to apply the acrylic carefully at the eponichium (excuse spellling) and that is what creates a natural curve.
Through many texts she took to being rude, offensive and threatening, I offered a half cost refund as final settlement and asked her not to contact me again. The picture I have included isn't great but would appreciate your thoughts on "her" comments. To be honest it has troubled me for days and would like other opininons. Thanks in advance Geeks, will put some other critiques on soon ;)

This is in fact me... I have logged back on with original details... sorry Salon Geek!! x

The side walls are a bit flared on some nails and the nails are not all even or uniformly shaped. I must admit that they do look as if they are due for a fill.
But they are far from awful!

My issue with this situation is that SHE was happy with them. HER FRIENDS were not. I don't like that at all. Once she left you telling you she was satisfied with the job you had done, she became the owner of those nails. You had no more obligation to her.

So she had the privilege of having her nails done and done nicely by you, then she has the audacity to approach you AFTER her big day to ask for her money back? I think you in the UK call that cheeky.

Hi Dollbird!

Given your post and that you've asked for straight feedback I have a couple of comments! From the photo they look nice although a smaller ratio of white to pink would be more pleasing on the eye.....

I zoomed in on the photo to be super-picky(!) and the left thumb does look as if the gap at z3 is a bit big, you could have gone closer to the eponychium but the others look good. I can't see any obvious dips (even zoomed in) and I really like the silver stripe.

Generally I'd say they are decent set of nails, nothing too wrong with them and certainly nothing to warrant a refund. If it makes you feel better I lost a client earlier this year over 'gaps at the bottom' - she would ring me 7 -10 days after I had done them complaining of gaps and refused to accept that it was down to her nails growing..... In the end I was happy to part company with her......

Stop worrying, you did a good job!

Thanks , I also zoomed in and noticed the thumbs had slightly larger gaps, but couldn't see them on others. I also agree she was just after her wedding nails for a freebie but no amount of offense and threat is worth £12 to me so I hope that's the last of it. I have to agree they aren't my favorite set, I always have the same problems when I use white tips which is why I am going back to my Creative training and now sculpting the white and pink on natural tips, just how Liza taught me. Thanks for taking the time though, I needed some opinions from professionals, after a few days of torment I started to question myself.

gr8nailz, could you explain why you think they look like they need a infill? This is my main concern so would appreciate further critique on that point :green:

gr8nailz, could you explain why you think they look like they need a infill? This is my main concern so would appreciate further critique on that point :green:

I like to get as close to the eponychium as I safely can so that the nails look very natural. When I zoomed in on your pic, I noticed a few nails in particular that looked like there was some regrowth...the thumbs showed up most in the pics. I've attached a picture of one of my nails. Disregard the Shellac application and look down at the eponychium to Zone 3.

You can get closer without it being a problem.

gr8nailz-albums-shellac-picture39603-gold-silver-glitter-fade-w-black-gold-dots-3.jpg

I have to agree with the others, when you zoom in to 400% you can actually see a rather large margin around the eponichium on both thumbs, the middle fingers and the ring finger of the hand on the left.
you just need to make sure that you leave a smaller gap in this area and file it really thin so that regrowth is not obvious.
But as the others have said it also sounds like she is trying it o to get a refund after her wedding.
Sorry no refunds
249948_10150214659167962_615977961_7072065_5257733_n.jpg

These are beautiful, Jen.

Doll Bird, I hope you take these critiques in the spirit in which they are given. We are all pros helping pros. Us "oldies" love helping and if there's ever anything we can help with, we love to.

You seem to be well on your way. I hope you don't let this one client discourage you. I think you're very conscientious and she was just trying to get over on you.

I am honoured to have your critiques, this is the place I come for advice from pro's and will alwasy take on board what you have said. I am going to add another critique of my latest glitter enhancements, I applied natural tips and sculpted the acrylic on top...maybe you could take a look at these for me. I am always so careful around the eponichium and I think that come's from my training days where I had bricks to file lol x

If you don't mind one more comment .. I think another thing that makes these nails look unbalanced is that your zone two bead could be way smaller before you apply it. Zone two looks bulky and this also makes nails look as if they have grown out and as if they are ill proportioned.

Your progression in nails is continuous .. It's all about taking the talent you have and refining it and refining your work to the point where the enhancement looks as if it is the nail and not something stuck on top of the nail.

I guess you have to suck it up this time but I agree with Tammie 100% in that the real issue is that she agreed she loved them when you did them , then let her friends sway her and now she has got what she was really after which is a refund. This wasn't really about your nails but a refund. You could have in fact refilled thm and improved the appearance of them at a stroke but perhaps in this instance better to just let her go.

I wouldn't dream of criticising the nails as I am not a nail tech so not in a position to. But 3 things spring to mind. Firstly, as Tammie and Gigi have said, she was happy with them when she left. Secondly, you mention £12...was that the charge or 50% of the charge? Either way it is neither expensive, nor a lot of money (there's a difference!) and lastly, if it were me, personally, I would not want to tarnish the memory of my wedding, complaining about the nails I wore that day! For gods sake, if my "friends" were unkind about them I would be changing the subject smartish rather than allow them to spoil the way I felt. The wedding is done, I personally wouldn't care if I didn't get another 3 weeks out of the service...

Thanks for the further comments. Gigi I still have a lot of Perfect Practise to do. Since these nails I have put my white tips away, bought out my natural velocitys and have been practising the way I was taught by Liza, and have been getting better results... I think. The Glitter critique is mine also, feel free to have a look. Zo Zo the refund was 50% of ther service which is £12.50 I charge £25.00 for white tips and £30.00 for pink and whites. I am considering doing away with the white tip option completely.

Latest posts

Back