completely rotten nails! eek!HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooh thats nasty - is this down to her previous tech then or a possible fungal infection that has been left untreated?? if i were her i think id go see a doctor about it see if they can refer her to anybody xx

Sassy Hassy said:
Do you not think the crusting under the nail is a possible fungal infection. I know it would need to be sent off for analysis, but I would think there is more to it than psoriasis alone. Or am I over reacting?

Nope, with psoriasis, the skin is overgrown and so dry it looks all crusty and dry under the onycholysis, and in fact is what causes the onycholysis with psoriasis. fungal infections are wet and gooey ... you can get some goo that dries and looks crusty at the edges but this image is typical or psoriac nails.

Poor lady probably wanted to cover them up (naturally) but we will see what the outcome is if she goes to a derm.

When I click on the pic to see the larger version it says I cant!!! I wanna see this close up!!!!! x ?

geeg said:
Nope, with psoriasis, the skin is overgrown and so dry it looks all crusty and dry under the onycholysis, and in fact is what causes the onycholysis with psoriasis. fungal infections are wet and gooey ... you can get some goo that dries and looks crusty at the edges but this image is typical or psoriac nails.

Poor lady probably wanted to cover them up (naturally) but we will see what the outcome is if she goes to a derm.

Thanks geeg! put me off my brunch why dontcha!!! :lol:

fificharlie said:
When I click on the pic to see the larger version it says I cant!!! I wanna see this close up!!!!! x ?

Sorry been playing about with my gallery - it's there again now. I can't make it bigger in the post!

NailsFrmHeaven said:
OMG!!! i dont know what to say, i have never in all my life seen anything quiet like this the poor lady. Will this damage ever grow out ? or will it be there foreva ? xxx

With psoriasis, the client may have periods of remission, but her nails will be permanently damaged.

Many ladies who have this painful and unsightly condition do go to a salon to try to get it covered up with enhancements ... best to avoid working on this type of nail.

Apart from the health implications for the clients who have psoriasis, someone may post pictures of your client, and either blame you or your product supplier when they don't really know or understand the facts, as I suspect has happened in this case.

Sassy Hassy said:
Sorry been playing about with my gallery - it's there again now. I can't make it bigger in the post!

Just seen it close up!

My god. If I knew I was responsible for that - I couldnt live with myself.

That poor client. I'm speechless.

i wonder how long her nails have been like this and her technician has just been applying more product over the top. x

If it is psoriasis then I guess it's not contagious and therefore no more risk of cross contamination than any other client? Have to say I was guilty in thinking it was tech damage, thank you for sharing your experience with us Geeg - mwah!

fificharlie said:
Just seen it close up!

My god. If I knew I was responsible for that - I couldnt live with myself.

That poor client. I'm speechless.

I don't think the tech is entirely responsible as I have pointed out.

i wonder how long her nails have been like this and her technician has just been applying more product over the top. x

I have had clients come to me for the first time with nails like this who were desperate to have them covered up ... naturally they would be. It is a very distressing condition because it is SO visible.

geeg said:
With psoriasis, the client may have periods of remission, but her nails will be permanently damaged.

Many ladies who have this painful and unsightly condition do go to a salon to try to get it covered up with enhancements ... best to avoid working on this type of nail.

Apart from the health implications for the clients who have psoriasis, someone may post pictures of your client, and either blame you or your product supplier when they don't really know or understand the facts, as I suspect has happened in this case.

Is it ok to provide enhancements on someone that has psoriasis of the skin, but it has not effected thier nails severely? For example, slight pitting on only a few nails?!?:eek:

fificharlie said:
Is it ok to provide enhancements on someone that has psoriasis of the skin, but it has not effected thier nails severely? For example, slight pitting on only a few nails?!?:eek:

Yes ... and after Dr's consent has been obtained ... depending on the severity of the condition and always keep short and neat. If onycholysis is present, then it is best not to do them at all. I would also only choose a wrap system not gel or L&P.

Psoriasis of the skin does not mean a person will have psoriasis of the nails.

geeg said:
Yes ... and after Dr's consent has been obtained ... depending on the severity of the condition and always keep short and neat. If onycholysis is present, then it is best not to do them at all. I would also only choose a wrap system not gel or L&P.

Psoriasis of the skin does not mean a person will have psoriasis of the nails.

Phew! Thanks Geeg!

I had a client that had severe psoriasis of the skin, but it had only effected her nails very slightly. She never normally wears enhancements, but was going away with one of my regular clients and only wanted enhancements for her holiday. I told my regular client to ask her to get her doc's written consent before I even saw her, which she did.

She had a great time, and I soaked off the nails when they got back! x

so could this ladies nails have gotten worse by wearing enhancements ie - without/before getting her nails treated by a doctor/dermatologist? xx

EllaX said:
so could this ladies nails have gotten worse by wearing enhancements ie - without/before getting her nails treated by a doctor/dermatologist? xx

Probably not, although the drying effects of wearing enhancements is most likely what caused them to look even drier and for the nail plate to flake away to expose the nail bed beneath.

geeg said:
Probably not, although the drying effects of wearing enhancements is most likely what caused them to look even drier and for the nail plate to flake away to expose the nail bed beneath.

thanx for that geeg! xx

ok gigi-thanx

I have seen psoraisis before - but only on 'virgin' nails. Would this lady know if she had psoraisis? How will we find out?
Oh! forgot to say - she has a rash on her chest - I seem to remember something from my training that said rashes there or on the neck could be from over exposure???? any ideas???

What will be my best course of treatement? will she be able to have enhanecements again (of any sort)? is she ok to use solar oil?

oh! also................
I take your comment about posting pictures here - but without doing that how can we all learn from it? I think the majority of us would have thought this was a fungal problem - so we have all learned something!

I will now contact my new client and suggest the dermatologist route too!

We will then wait and see, and can then decide how to take this forward.

Thanx again for your advice.

Alialy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That has to hurt :hug: to the sufferer, I am currently growing out my nails and despite repeated attempts from friends to get falsies put on I refuse because of this.

that is Psoriasis though I have it on my legs

Kate

alialy said:
ok gigi-thanx

I have seen psoriasis before - but only on 'virgin' nails. Would this lady know if she had psoriasis? How will we find out?
Oh! forgot to say - she has a rash on her chest - I seem to remember something from my training that said rashes there or on the neck could be from over exposure???? any ideas???

What will be my best course of treatment? will she be able to have enhancements again (of any sort)? is she OK to use solar oil?

Your client must go to a dermatologist and get a proper diagnosis ... but I'd bet my boots that psoriasis is what she has.

Itching is the first sign of overexposure ... a rash on the neck or chest is not a sign of overexposure to nail products ... the irritation would be at the site of the exposure and as far as I'm aware, we do not apply nail products near to the neck or chest. Only if one was continually touching their neck or chest with hands contaminated with monomer or something, would this happen.

If your client has a 'rash' on her neck or chest, it could also be the psoriasis.

She should not have enhancements whilst her nails and the skin surrounding them are in the state they are at present. Solar Oil can be used liberally and as many times per day as she wishes. SolarOil is known to relieve inflammation and is very calming to people with psoriasis although it does not cure the condition, it eases the irritation and therefore the stress which in turn has an effect on the condition.

PS ... I'm glad you posted the photos and I'm glad everyone has learned from it .. just a bit sorry for the technician who if someone who reognised the condition had not been around to enlighten ... would be slated up hill and down dale for being a bad technician etc etc.

Latest posts

Back