completely rotten nails! eek!HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look terrible! How do i see it in closeup?

I recall seeing a photo like this in my training book when we were covering the diseases of the nail in class...
Poor thing, as you said she probably desperately wanted to cover them up out of embarrassment, not realizing that she is doing further harm...I wonder if it ever crossed her mind before to go to a derm? and why didn't the first tech refer her? Or maybe the first tech did but she didn't agree with her and in desperation to have her nails covered she decided to come to you??? I hope she get the help that she needs...

Oh, these are really bad! Its psoriasis nails - i really hope she gets the help she needs!

Sassy Hassy said:
Here's the other pic!

It just defies words. I am stunned. This "tech" should cease trading immediately if she thought this is okay ... or an allergy. God knows how many clients she has infected with cross contamination. No wonder you want to do something about it.

OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!! What amazes me is that the lady also didn't seem to think thta they were bad, I know if I were having my nails done and when they came off if my nails looked like this, I wouldn't go back!!

update-
she has been to the doctor and he said its the worst fungal infection he's seen - but i hadn't spoken to her to advise her on the possible psoraisis issue by then.

She says that she had no nail plate lifting, no ridges, no inflammation, no thickening of her nailplate or reducing of her smile line before changing to this new tech.

She says her nails were 'normal' but just bitten & short.

She is going to take clippings & the Doc is sending them off for analysis.!

She is soooo upset !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bless her heart, I would be too :hug:

When you did her consultation did she say if she had any medical conditions at all? Re the rash on her neck, I would have thought that if this was psoriasis then she would know for sure that she had it...how many of us get rashes that are very pronounced and visible without trying to find out what they are?? Have you asked her since you read the replies whether she has psoriasis?

We'll see when we get a lab report.

Fungal does not explain the red and dry and flaky skin round the nails nor the pitting and ridges. Not met a GP yet who could ever diagnose a fungal infection :lol: but we will see. But I'll want to see it in writing.

It looks as if she has eczema and that the drying around her cuticles has been due to cortisone creams. The nails do look nasty and much worse than any textbook case of fungus I've seen. It is going to require a long and diligent treatment to get these nails/fingers to improve. Poor lady, and I complain about a hangnail!!!! :rolleyes:

The redness appeared - aparently - after she used acetone to soak off the enhancements. The skin on the surrounding area had been damaged anyway with a file so that was sore & then the acetone excacerbated it.

The rash on her chest and (she said she has it in her groin too) i thought mite be heat rash.

I will talk to her again today about going to a dermatologist& confirm to use solar oil freely.

Gigi..... am I right in thinking that what has happened is that the lifting of her nails from the nail plate is caused by the proraisis............. then having a L&P coating on makes the nails stronger & less flexible - & so puts more pressure on the nail bed (causing it to lift away more).............. thus creating a pocket where water has collected which results in fungus????

(she did tell me yesterday that when her enhancements were still on, she could see greeny/yellowy water moving around under her nail -plate.)

alialy said:
Gigi..... am I right in thinking that what has happened is that the lifting of her nails from the nail plate is caused by the proraisis............. then having a L&P coating on makes the nails stronger & less flexible - & so puts more pressure on the nail bed (causing it to lift away more).............. thus creating a pocket where water has collected which results in fungus????

(she did tell me yesterday that when her enhancements were still on, she could see greeny/yellowy water moving around under her nail -plate.)

That could be one scenario. She may not even have a fungal infection (or she may have) but there is allot more happening here than technician error, and it is physical. A dermatologist is really the expert to go to, not a GP. I cannot believe that using an abrasive would account for the lack of eponychium and the breakdown of tissue surrounding the nail plate.

It does no good at this point to speculate on every possibility either, in my opinion. Lets go to the experts whose field it is to know and to diagnose ... get a written confirmation of what is wrong and then take the appropriate action. In the meantime, SolarOil and more Solar Oil which will not harm anything and will help the redness and relieve any itching that she may have.

Just heared from my lady - the nail clippings dont show any fungus!
The GP thinks its an allergy to the nail products and says that you cant have psoraisis in the nails without it being on the skin too!
Could someone confirm this for me? or give me any more info for her to take with her to her next gp appointement?
Thanx girls.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

alialy said:
Just heared from my lady - the nail clippings dont show any fungus!
The GP thinks its an allergy to the nail products and says that you cant have psoraisis in the nails without it being on the skin too!
Could someone confirm this for me? or give me any more info for her to take with her to her next gp appointement?
Thanx girls.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So what where the results of the actual test ? Did it show anything ?

Besides her GP, has she been to see a Derm yet ?

River

No the test came back negative for fungus.
She needs to get a refferal to a dermatologist via her gp, and she is going again next week i think.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else in the salon has this.

I feel bad for the lady but I would not need someone to tell me to see a doctor. That did not happen over night. You can bet I would be on the phone getting that referral faxed over to a dermatologist ASAP and begging to see them today, not waiting. Have her get copies of her test results. This tech should never have let it go this far and if she gave her service knowing she may possibly spread this or make it medical condition worse ( and we all know it would )there could be consequences. At least here in the States there would be. I am not familiar with other countries.

Have a great day all
Jackie

I have three words (or three letters as the case may be)

OMG!!!

That poor woman. I can't even begin to imagine what a nightmare it must be to have hands and nails in that condition.
EEKS.

I had a lady come to me with this condition, there was no way I would do a set of nails for her. She did have psoriasis, I recognised it immediately as my gran used to suffer the same problem. Her nails looked similar to this BEFORE she had anything done to them. I told her that I was sorry but I couldn't help her and told her to see her GP.
Maybe this tech has asked their client to get a GP's letter and has signed a consent form? Maybe she had no idea what the problem was, or maybe she was careless but I don't think we should make any opinions if we don't know the full story.
If the client was suffering from psoriasis I'm sure she must have known about it?
JMHO

VHunter said:
I have three words (or three letters as the case may be)

OMG!!!

That poor woman. I can't even begin to imagine what a nightmare it must be to have hands and nails in that condition.
EEKS.

I couldn't see them upclose.. but from the little picture i agree.. OMG!!!
I wish her a lot of luck and patience fixing this..

Typical of a GP ... I tell you they know nowt about fungal infections.

The client I had with psoriasis this bad did not have indications of it on her body either. So he was wrong!! I knew he would be as well and said so.

I'll eagerly await the rest of the tale to emerge. !!

This is like a detective story!
The reason the gp said 'no its not fungus ' was because the lady took clippings into the gps they were sent off to hospital for analysis - they said no fungus!
The lady had NO symptoms before going to this salon, no redness on the skin just very short nailbeds from biting.
She didn't sign a disclaimer at her first appointement - or withhold any medical info (cuz she didn;t have any to withhold!).
How is psoraisis diagnosed? does anyone know? Oh! and can you get the symptoms we see from this pikki but no pitting?
I will reiterrate to her that a derm is a MUST! and that to tell her gp you can have it in nails only.
Thanx again you lot! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back