Condition of nails after acrylic removals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilly01

Reaction score
Hi everyone! About 5 weeks ago I had acrylic tips put on for the first time by a mobile salon. I've booked on to do a complete nail course in July and thought I'd better get it done myself to see how it's done. My nails have alsway been so strong and grow lovely hence never having the extensions done before.

I had them removed just over a week ago and since then my nails have broken one by one and are soooooooooooo bendy! I seem to have a lot of white 'bruises' on my nails too.

The products used was SalonSystems and I wondered if this is normal?

Help! xx

No, this is not 'normal'.

I am assuming the 'white bruises' you see on your nails are in fact nail damaged caused by the technician who did your nails.

Unfortunely, when this happens, there is nothing that you can do to 'cure' it. The only thing you can do is wait patiently until all the damage areas have grown out.

Solar oil ( cuticle oil from CND ) will help to strengthen your nails during the process of growing them out.

Hi sorry to hear that! No, if enhancements are applied and removed correctly and with care, your nails should not ever be left bendy and brittle as you described, dont be put off by your experience just try to locate a technician who has good practices and is qualified with a reputable company.

Its a shame that some people spoil things for the people who have put in a lot of time and money training and have a real passion about how they perfect their nail skills. All nails techs are not the same!

Good Luck :hug:

how were they removed hun? As has been answered they should not be like that. Even when i was at college doing my training and practising on each other we were taught the importance of not damaging the natural nail and my nails were in quite good condition even after the course. I'm sure you will be taught how to avoid this on your course, and if not you have found the best place to come to and find advice about this issue, the search facility is invaluble!
good luck, and as suggested lots of cuticle oil!
xxx

Lets not forget why some people have nail enhancements in the first place.....they never manage to grow their own without breaking them.
I have been doing nails for many years, recently had a set applied, first set for about two years, and when they were removed my own nails had managed to gain some length but were still bendy/flexible, as they always have been.
It was nothing to do with the application, which was by one of the top nail techs in my area (no not just my opinion she took first place in one of the nail competitions this year so you can`t get better than that, and appears to be a highly respected member on here). And it was nothing to do with the removal, CND trained.
Some people including myself will never have long strong natural nails no matter how many manicures or products are applied. Genetically it just isn`t going to happen.
As for the white spots, who knows, it could have been caused by damage on removal or have the nails been knocked since removal and caused by trauma?
Also remember your nails are going to feel more vunerable you have had acrylic on them for weeks reinforcing them so to speak. Imagine wearing a snug pair of gloves for 5 weeks, wouldn`t your hands feel strange when you took them off?
Yes there are bad technicians out there, and lots of good, but only you will know when you have completed your training which category to put the nail tech` in that applied your set.
I`m going to go and put some ear defenders on now!
Good luck with your course x

What research did you do when you chose where to have your nails done?

After 5 weeks you shouldn't to have seen the damage you have seen.

But lets be REAL and say that while not damaging your nails in any permanent way, the wearing of nail enhancements DOES dehydrate the natural nail plate and make them more porous and prone to breakage if not given the appropriate aftercare ... it DOES take some time and some care on the clients' part to rehydrate the nails with good products on a regular basis so that they are not brittle after removal. This is the reality.

It is no different with bleached or coloured hair but women seem to accept this without question!! My hair is bleached and coloured ... the process dries my hair out and makes it more porous and brittle. I compensate by using excellent products to keep my hair hydrated and flexible.

Anyone can expect their nails to be a bit dry and porous and more susceptible to breaking after nail enhancements are removed. This can be dealt with over a couple of weeks of caring for them and good advice from their professional.

What clients should not expect is to see totally different nails i.e. ones that once were strong now thin and bendy with scars from over filing or damage from improper removal.

Hi sorry to hear that! No, if enhancements are applied and removed correctly and with care, your nails should not ever be left bendy and brittle as you described, dont be put off by your experience just try to locate a technician who has good practices and is qualified with a reputable company.

Its a shame that some people spoil things for the people who have put in a lot of time and money training and have a real passion about how they perfect their nail skills. All nails techs are not the same!

Good Luck :hug:

I would like to point out that Salon Systems is a reputable company, and is approved by insurance companies.
I did my training with them, I qualified, and I'm insured with Professional Beauty.
I think that possibly, there are some techs out there who don't trade with the skills they were taught, so therefore I believe that is the techs fault, not necessarily the company they trained with.
I had excellent training, and excellent aftercare and advice from Salon Systems and the educator who taught me.
And I would, and have, recommended them to other people, who are looking to start in the nail industry.

and i would like to "point out" i wasnt dissing the product if you take the time to read posts correctly and not jump on your high horse! I repeat " if products are applied and removed correctly there should not be nail damage " chill out ! I thought we were all here to "discuss" in an adult fashion not bitch at each others comments!

Now now children .. play nicely please!!

I don't believe that anyone dissed the company you mentioned Mich77 and there was no need for you to defend.

Reputable I'm sure they may be, however the system is not high end in anyway and for every system that is not high end in technology, one does have to be more aggressive to the natural nail during PREP to make the product stick. This can cause thinning and damage to the natural nails.

It may have been the case in this instance and it may have been an unskilled technician or both.

and i would like to "point out" i wasnt dissing the product if you take the time to read posts correctly and not jump on your high horse! I repeat " if products are applied and removed correctly there should not be nail damage " chill out ! I thought we were all here to "discuss" in an adult fashion not bitch at each others comments!

I didn't think you were 'dissing' it, so wasn't actually defending it, was just explaining to the other person that Salon Systems was ok, so wasn't actually bitching about your comments or anyone else's! :eek:
It just goes to show how the written word can sometimes be misinterpreted!!

Thanks for your input Geeg, it never really occured to me that it wasn't a high end product - Suppose I never really thought about it!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your feedback / comments everyone! I'm new to this site and thought I'd get an email when someone replied to my thread! I've tried to combine the answers to the questions that you guys have asked about my experience below…

The condition of my nails is still pretty poor, but I've been using a nail strengthener and cuticle oil religiously since my removal. They eventually did all break - to the point of some being quite sore. They still have the white 'bruise-like' marks on 5 of them and the nail which had gone a browny colour is now fading back to pink. I did text my technician , and she said she's not sure why it happened. Should I have called her back? And if she had of come back, would this call-out have been chargeable?

The technician didn't tell me what she was removing the nails with, she put a solution on cotton wool and wrapped around each finger, then covered with foil.

I'm pleased to read that Salon Systems are a good product to work with as I hear all about CND all of the time and I was starting to worry.

The lady that did my nails is actually my educator for my course too. I found this out during my first appointment with her. She has been qualified for 6 years and I don't doubt her level of expertise/knowledge at all.

I chose the company I am carrying out my course with for a few reasons:

• I'll be able to get my insurance through BABTAC once qualified which I have read to be one of the best insurers and a recognised company within the industry. This to me said that the company isn't a fly-by-night cowboy company!

• as they are local, should I have any problems/queries after my course (which I'm sure there'll be hundreds!), it'll be easier to liase with my mentor.

• the course is run about 30 minutes from my home. I'm currently 7 months pregnant, still working and have a 1 year old also so commuting back and forth long distance wouldn't be great right now! It probably sounds like I'm rushing into my education, but in all honesty, my plans are to carry out my training and practice whilst on maternity leave with friends and family (just charging enough to cover material costs). That way I can get some experience and in Spring next year launch into business instead of returning to my current job. Once I've had a lot of practice with Salon Systems, I'm planning on doing a conversion course with CND in the new year.

It all sounds so easy on paper, but I'm prepared for a lot of hard work. My next job is to devise a 'timetable' for home so I can allocate 'me' time to study and practice between being a mummy and a wife! I've read lots of positive stories on here that show it can be done - I just need to get a lot of support behind me (which needs working on!) :rolleyes:

If anyone has actually been bothered to read this post all the way through, well done and thanks for not getting bored and clicking to the next thread! Really appreciate it! I think I may be looking for support from a lot of you guys over the next coming months! :lol:

Latest posts

Back