Consultation cards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjodylee

Reaction score
Do u all use them?
I've never had a tech ask me to fill one out so just wondering??
I know we are supposed to but do u really?

I do. Always.

I always do for every treatment. Clients safety is paramount.
Rhiannon x

Yes I fill a new one in for new clients then check back over and update on further apps xxx

Hi I find them useful for finding out about allergies etc...most companies do them, I am working through my pack of Lena White/OPI ones. It is also helpful to remember colours etc...
Claire x

I do! I have the client fill out the information on the front, such as name, address, birthday, allergies (salon related), history of stroke, high blood pressure, heart disease, muscular problems, arthritis, or thyroid problems. And on the back, are blank lines, like regular notebook paper so I can write what they got done and the date so I always remember what color or service they had. I've also written down a complaint with their nails they mentioned, such as very thin, so I can recommend a nail strengthener each time they come in. I've made note if they've said they had a son who was going through a tough time (or whatever the case may be), so that when they come back in, I can ask how he's doing. It lets the client know I do care about her and not just her nails.

Also, since I have their birthday, I have a list of all my client's birthdays by month, and a couple days before their birthday, I send them a birthday card worth 25% off any service. :)

I have always used them at every single appointment a client has with me and keep a record of every visit and what we did, retail items sold, colour used, complaints etc.

I have never not used a CRC with service record on the back. I have had many clients say they have never been asked to fill one out before!! Sad relfection on the calibre of so many who do nails. Very unprofessional.

Always, always, always.

Put yourself in the client's chair. Wouldn't you like to know that your tech was doing everything she/he could to ensure you are getting appropriate treatment and that you are cared about as a whole not just someone paying for a nail treatment (or whatever)?

I too take note of birthdays so we can be sure to send a card at the right time, but also email addresses and mobile phone numbers and permission to use for promotions. See this as an opportunity to build a solid database for marketing, look back on the card, she bought cuticle oil in February - she must have run out by now, upsell your products, what about trying this lovely new hand cream too. Next time she's in, you remember you sold her the hand cream how does she like it, you know we do a heel balm in the same range, how about using this for a week and coming in for a nice pedicure next week? Upsell your services.

Make a note of occupation so you can make informed choices about the treatment you are offering. A lady who teaches piano isn't going to want long nails but she'll want them to be strong. Someone in PR will want her nails to always look perfect. Upsell matching toes. Note that she likes red - when a new red comes out you can suggest to her she may like to try one of the new reds.

Make notes about silly things, takes white tea with one sugar, the cat went to the vets last time - how is the cat? It shows the customer you care about them and their custom, and when a cheaper tech starts trading up the road, the client will be less likely to switch as there will be a loyalty to your service.

I could go on - having been in customer service, this touchy feely stuff is my passion. However, on a serious note, sadly we are in a very litigious society. I hate the expression but cover your back. Your insurer won't take kindly to a claim if you haven't documented any relevant notes - it could backfire on you and then you lose big style. It only takes a short while to fill in the consult...

Thank u guys, u gave me some great ideas for using Consult cards.
I don't have any made up as I'm only doing friends right now and am preparing for the time when I do work on the public and I want to do it right.

Ambur is what u wrote in ur post all that is needed on the card for their info?

Once I fill up the card with the services the client has had should I just staple another card to it?
What do u keep them in? Do u use the little cards that are half an a4 size?

Just after ideas how to keep it all neat, organized and easy.

Thanks. Your all very helpful. ;)

Last edited:
Also, since I have their birthday, I have a list of all my client's birthdays by month, and a couple days before their birthday, I send them a birthday card worth 25% off any service. :)

a beauty therapist I see does this and I love it.
I never thought of doing it with nails.

Mine are one's I got with my tanning training kit here's scans of the front and back. They are A5 cards.
Consultaioncard001.jpg

Consultaioncardback.jpg

I always use them. A4 size with their details on the front along with their signature on the 'small print'. On the back are the details of every visit and a sealed 'sandwich bag' with their own file and birchwood stick (for Shellac removal) in it. HTH's x

Last edited:
I could go on - having been in customer service, this touchy feely stuff is my passion.

Feel free to go on.. I'd appreciate any ideas..

Being that I haven't started my business yet and only do friends I have no ideas on how to make a client keep coming back.. I haven't really thought about it yet but I should start.. I thought if I just did great nails they would keep coming back but it's more than that isn't it? It the personal touches that are important also.. Like remembering their cat went to the vet, their sons football final..
I didn't even think about when they bought their cuticle oil last, and about a new colour they might like..
So thank u for the ideas.
I need to learn all this if I hope to be successful in my venture.

Last edited:
Thanks baggybear. That's really sweet of u to post urs for me x

I've made up my own on A4 paper, page 2 has the same on front and back, a section available for info about colours, treatments, products purchased and any other info.

PM me your email address if you'd like me to send it to you.

S

I love the idea of keeping clients nail file with their record, i'll definitely start doing that!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Ambur is what u wrote in ur post all that is needed on the card for their info?

I'm going to upload a picture of my consult card. I made them myself, because I couldn't find one that asked all the information I needed, and nothing I didn't need. :)

Medications are a need to know, simply because of blood thinning medications. No one wants to accidentally nip someone with nippers, but should it happen, you NEED to be on guard if that client is taking blood thinners. It won't be a simple little nip.

You need to know if your client is allergic to latex, aloe, certain soaps, etc.

You need to know if your client has a history of high blood pressure, stroke or heart disease. Stimulating muscles during massage causes increased circulation and could raise blood pressure or increase chances of stroke. You will want your client to get a doctor's note saying it is safe to get a massage. If they choose to waive that right, I have them sign a waiver saying they assume all responsibility and are telling me it is safe for me to perform a massage on their legs/feet, and do not wish to get a doctor's note. All of my clients, I believe, are happy to sign that and are glad that I am taking extra care to ensure their safety.

Attachments

• ConsultationForm.png
    ConsultationForm.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 8,956
Once I fill up the card with the services the client has had should I just staple another card to it?
What do u keep them in? Do u use the little cards that are half an a4 size?

Sorry! I just realized I didn't answer all your questions. Haha. My consult cards are regular sized printer paper, but I use card stock so that it's more durable with multiple filings. Once the back is filled up, I would staple another lined piece of paper to the original. I suppose years down the road, I would eventually store original consult cards and fill out a new one when any information changes or it because too big of a file!

I use an accordion style folder with alphabetical tabs for easy filing and finding.

When I open up in the morning, I look at all my appointments and pull all the consult cards for the day. Before the clients come in, I look over the card to make sure of what I'm going to discuss with her and what not.

When a new client comes in, I give them a clip board with the consult form to fill out, also a small business card sized "Referral Card." They put their name on it, and give it to a friend. The friend brings in the card and receives 15% off any service. I, then, staple that card to the original client's consult form, and once she returns, she receives 15% off any service! I think my clients love this as I've had quite a few redeemed referal cards. I will also have people call in a panic saying they've lost their referral card and need another! Haha.

Last edited:
You need to know if your client is allergic to latex, aloe, certain soaps, etc.

Allergies are very important things to be aware of. From reading this forum I know how much everyone loves their Solar Oil but its main ingredient is Sweet Almond Oil which is not suitable for anyone with a nut allergy.

When a new client comes in, I give them a clip board with the consult form to fill out, also a small business card sized "Referral Card." They put their name on it, and give it to a friend. The friend brings in the card and receives 15% off any service. I, then, staple that card to the original client's consult form, and once she returns, she receives 15% off any service! I think my clients love this as I've had quite a few redeemed referal cards. I will also have people call in a panic saying they've lost their referral card and need another! Haha.

That's a good idea.
Thanks so much Ambur, you've been very helpful.

One last qu? Why would thyroid issues be a problem?

Latest posts

Back