Contraindications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodeski

Reaction score
As I am currently nearing the end of my beauty diploma I keep thinking of more and more scenarios and questions!!!

Scenario: I am an employee at a local salon. Boss asks me to do a pedicure on a client. I prepare for the treatment and notice what I think is a definate contraindication on the client's foot/nails. I get the boss but she says to just put gloves on and get on with it.

What would I do?! Do I have any rights to refuse performing the treatment as a qualified therapist?

I wouldn't want to put myself at risk of infection or others either through cross-contamination!

Feedback muchly appreciated!

If you do not feel comfortable doind it them don't write a letter to the clients doc and they should beable to tell you if you are able to do the treatment. or ask the client politly what it is! or ask her if she wuld go to doc to get it checked out and a letter from doc saying you can do it or not! x

i would imagine your company handbook would have a clause stating that a thorough consultation must be performed, and at the presence of preventative contraindications the treatment cannot be performed. Also, your pedi bowl and tools will still come into contact with the feet, and you could spread the condition ie verrucaes through massage. I would hope that no manager would do this, and if you were the client- what would you think! i wouldnt go back, even if treatment had been performed!
In the event of treatment going ahead, the client would have to sign a disclaimer. HTHs :)

Unfortunately a lot of salons (and I mean most!) here in WA DON'T do consultations or have disclaimers which is the way I am being taught at college. This irritates me immensely! Every salon should formally consult!

Like wa said above - you can protect yourself to a certain extent by wearing gloves but all your equipment used has to then be used on another member of the public! I know we all sanitise and clean any equipment used but if I as a client found out that you also treat others that have infections with the same equipment I woud be out of there like a shot and you would never see me again!

Does that help?

I would say it really depends on what the contraindicator is. The majority of conditions can be worked on safely without any problems at all.... as long as you are following proper disinfection procedures of all your implements and foot baths afterwards, and discarding anything that cannot be disinfected.

In the event of treatment going ahead, the client would have to sign a disclaimer. HTHs :)

The client cannot sign away her right to good health...the onus is on the technician.

The problem with clients signing disclaimers is that they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I always do a consultation and write all my findings out on my consultation/client forms.

It is hard in the early days of being qualified to know what you should or shouldn't do,but tbh in time it all comes naturally and I very rarely have anyone that I have to say I cannot do this treatment because of xyz.

Follow your instincts,if in doubt dont do but remember most treatments can be done,dont turn away business when you dont need to,and remember your training will have aired on the side of caution with a a lot of the containdications.HTH

As I am currently nearing the end of my beauty diploma I keep thinking of more and more scenarios and questions!!!

Scenario: I am an employee at a local salon. Boss asks me to do a pedicure on a client. I prepare for the treatment and notice what I think is a definate contraindication on the client's foot/nails. I get the boss but she says to just put gloves on and get on with it.

What would I do?! Do I have any rights to refuse performing the treatment as a qualified therapist?

I wouldn't want to put myself at risk of infection or others either through cross-contamination!

Feedback muchly appreciated!

It can sometimes depend on the contraindication, some just restrict your treatment while others can stop the treatment altogether. If the client had a definate contraindication and you KNOW morally and ethically you shoudn't do the treatment then i wouldn't do it. If your boss had a problem with it then IMO they are not worth working for.

The most important thing you can do is to educate yourself. School just teaches us the basics on sanitation/disinfection and the issues surrounding cross-contamination, viruses/bacteria etc.

The client cannot sign away her right to good health...the onus is on the technician.[/quo
i meant if the client was insistent that the treatment was to go ahead, and you did. Please remember that people replying are trying to help others, and they are expressing an opinion. If that is your opinion, then please state that in your reply, trying to put down the views of others is not helpful.:irked:

If you a client comes in with a total contraindication to a treatment you really shouldn't do it. We're not doctors but still have a stronger grasp of alot of medical conditions than most clients would, if you perform a treatment on a client presenting a this kind of contraindication, you are putting the clients health at further risk and setting yourself up for the repercussions, just not worth it.
with regards to consultations and records there should be one for each client and records of details for each treatment, Just taken out my new insurance policy and out of the 5 i got quotes for you are only covered for treatment liability and product liability if you have a signed consultation form for each treatment, even for the basic cover like pro beauty. hth x

If you a client comes in with a total contraindication to a treatment you really shouldn't do it. We're not doctors but still have a stronger grasp of alot of medical conditions than most clients would, if you perform a treatment on a client presenting a this kind of contraindication, you are putting the clients health at further risk and setting yourself up for the repercussions, just not worth it.
with regards to consultations and records there should be one for each client and records of details for each treatment, Just taken out my new insurance policy and out of the 5 i got quotes for you are only covered for treatment liability and product liability if you have a signed consultation form for each treatment, even for the basic cover like pro beauty. hth x

Ditto estherlou. No signed record card, no insurance liability.You are the professional after all.
Does anyone know part of the original qu about refusing even if boss insists? I'm intrigued now!

thats a hard one, i wouldn't want to be working for anyone like that, you would be totally within your rights to refuse your boss as it goes against every guilds code of ethics, the boss could fire you then you could take them to a tribunal, thats obviously to the extreme hope none of us ever gets put in that kind of situation x

would it not depend on what the containdication is

i remember when i was training in mani/pedi my client had a cut on her hand and my tutor told me to put a plaster on it and continue the treatment

you're right hun, thats why i said total contraindication, there are localised contraindications which can be covered or avoided, like a mole can be covered with vaseline prior to waxing thats a local, but you can't do carry out a pedicure if someone has ringworm of the nail thats a total. hth x

you're right hun, thats why i said total contraindication, there are localised contraindications which can be covered or avoided, like a mole can be covered with vaseline prior to waxing thats a local, but you can't do carry out a pedicure if someone has ringworm of the nail thats a total. hth x
I wouldn't say that at all.I would wear gloves and do treatment,there is no reason why gloves cant be worn and correct sterilisation carried out of all equipment following treatment.

ok i'll agree to disagree, although isn't it a fungal infection that is contagious could sterilise tools but what about enamel.

ok i'll agree to disagree, although isn't it a fungal infection that is contagious could sterilise tools but what about enamel.
You cannot contaminate nail polish.:green:

just had a double check of my old textbooks was wondering if i had it wrong, but in both of them and my a+p it puts ringworm in the category of nail dieseases that should be refered for medical treatment so iwouldn't personally do it x

Latest posts

Back