Corporate Ladies Event - Need Advise !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited and nervous I don't know what to do with myself !!!

I've just been contacted by a big Foundation in my area asking me if I would be willing to attend a Beauty and Pamper Evening (Ladies Corporate Event) that they are hosting in April.

The event will be attended by 100 - 150 women and the Foundation will have a wide variety of people providing beauty services.

As I've never done anything like this before, I need some advise from some of you Geeks who have. (Sorry, there are quite a few questions !)

* They would like me to donate between 30% - 50% of my takings.

* If I would like, I can donate a prize (i.e. a free treatment or goodie bag) towards their raffle draw.

If I said I would donate 30% of my takings and donate a prize, would that be OK ??

I normally charge £10 for a Mini Manicure or Pedicure (nail shape, cuticle tidy and nail varnish of choice).

* Do I make the treatment shorter (leave something out) and charge less ? If so, what should I leave out and how much should I charge, taking the above % donation in consideration ?

* If not, is £10 too much to ask for a treatment at a Charity Event ? As there will be so many things that the ladies could choose from, I don't want to scare them away with my prices .... ?

They would like me to do manicures / pedicures and nail art and I need to provide them with a booking sheet with timeslots between 5,10 and 15min treatment slots.

* I am going to opt for the 15min slots. Will this be enough time to do a "decent" mini mani / pedi, or will I just end up doing a rush job if I follow my normal procedure, hence the above question of "shortening" the service ?

* I can't do nail art to save my life, however, I have quite a selection of nail art stickers ? Would this count as nail art and should I charge extra for it, or include it in the price ??

* For the booking sheet - can I just make up something nice on Word, or should I do something a bit more posh ??

Retailing items - you are allowed to retail items. Should I just take a couple of mini solar oils, mini solar butters and cucumber heel therapies for them to buy and put them in a nice basket to display with a little price tag on and a couple of retail brochures ?

OR

Would I do what I normally do and give them a little goodie bag with a pricelist, retail brochure, business card and mini solaroil in ?

Finally, you obviously need to bring your own equipment etc. but I need to provide them with an approximation of how much floor space I will need. How do I calculate that !!??

I will be taking my table, portable trolley, my mobile carry case, lamp, extension cord, a small table for displaying goods perhaps and business cards etc.....

To top it off, I asked her where she got my details from and she said Yell.com ! Glad I got my ad in there :)

PLEASE GEEKS, I know there are a lot of questions on here, but I would REALLY REALLY appreciate your help !!

Thanks

River

wow lot of questions mate, i can answer one for you, i have done a lot of school pamper nights with 15 min slots and its just about enough time to reshape and varnish without cuticle work, I charged £5.00 for this and gave a set amount for my desk and a raffle contribution of a full manicure,HTH

CouLd you not do the solar thing (scrub file & polish) at £10 do the 30% and donate a mini solar set??

jac extreme said:
wow lot of questions mate, i can answer one for you, i have done a lot of school pamper nights with 15 min slots and its just about enough time to reshape and varnish without cuticle work, I charged £5.00 for this and gave a set amount for my desk and a raffle contribution of a full manicure,HTH

Hi Jac,

I know (SORRY !!), I'm just sooo excited over this ! Things haven't been going to good for me so this couldn't have come at a better time. :D

I'm just unsure about a lot of the "ins and outs" of events like this, hence all the questions. :o

Did you do a client consultation form for each of the people you performed a treatment on ?

River

Are they charging you to attend??

hi River

read the pink bits below lol
River said:
If I said I would donate 30% of my takings and donate a prize, would that be OK ?? yes this will be fine

I normally charge £10 for a Mini Manicure or Pedicure (nail shape, cuticle tidy and nail varnish of choice).

* Do I make the treatment shorter (leave something out) and charge less ? If so, what should I leave out and how much should I charge, taking the above % donation in consideration ?

offer shape & polish for £5 (15min) mini manicure for £10 (30min)

Dont worry about the nail art bigger hit with kids than adults but offer as an extra service if you want and just do nail art as a 15min treatment

* For the booking sheet - can I just make up something nice on Word, or should I do something a bit more posh ?? Make up something in word remember your losing 30% in donations

Retailing items - you are allowed to retail items. Should I just take a couple of mini solar oils, mini solar butters and cucumber heel therapies for them to buy and put them in a nice basket to display with a little price tag on and a couple of retail brochures ?

OR

Would I do what I normally do and give them a little goodie bag with a pricelist, retail brochure, business card and mini solaroil in ?

Dont give thema nyhting for nothing, have the basket ready but with a few goody bags made up and retial to them while doign their naisl tell them how dry their cuticles are etcc

Finally, you obviously need to bring your own equipment etc. but I need to provide them with an approximation of how much floor space I will need. How do I calculate that !!??

measure the length of your table and double it and again so you have some space around you.

I will be taking my table, portable trolley, my mobile carry case, lamp, extension cord, a small table for displaying goods perhaps and business cards etc.....

most of all enjoy it, dont give anything away for nothing and make sure everyone has your card. Even if youa hve to walka round the room giving them out.

also, make sure you take tonnes of business cards with you including brochures. that way you should be able to get some repreat business. Perhaps you could put on an offer so that if they book a treatment on the night, nails or man/ped whatever, they get a discount.

I would imagine youwould need about 6 square metres. Or a little more if they have plenty of space.

I did my first exhibition with 6 square metres and we had enough room for a demo table, stock and display etc.

River said:
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited and nervous I don't know what to do with myself !!!

I've just been contacted by a big Foundation in my area asking me if I would be willing to attend a Beauty and Pamper Evening (Ladies Corporate Event) that they are hosting in April.

The event will be attended by 100 - 150 women and the Foundation will have a wide variety of people providing beauty services.

As I've never done anything like this before, I need some advise from some of you Geeks who have. (Sorry, there are quite a few questions !)

* They would like me to donate between 30% - 50% of my takings.

* If I would like, I can donate a prize (i.e. a free treatment or goodie bag) towards their raffle draw.

If I said I would donate 30% of my takings and donate a prize, would that be OK ??

* If not, is £10 too much to ask for a treatment at a Charity Event ? As there will be so many things that the ladies could choose from, I don't want to scare them away with my prices .... ?

They would like me to do manicures / pedicures and nail art and I need to provide them with a booking sheet with timeslots between 5,10 and 15min treatment slots.

* I am going to opt for the 15min slots. Will this be enough time to do a "decent" mini mani / pedi, or will I just end up doing a rush job if I follow my normal procedure, hence the above question of "shortening" the service ?

* I can't do nail art to save my life, however, I have quite a selection of nail art stickers ? Would this count as nail art and should I charge extra for it, or include it in the price ??

* For the booking sheet - can I just make up something nice on Word, or should I do something a bit more posh ??

OR

To top it off, I asked her where she got my details from and she said Yell.com ! Glad I got my ad in there :)

PLEASE GEEKS, I know there are a lot of questions on here, but I would REALLY REALLY appreciate your help !!

Thanks

River

Davinia said:
Are they charging you to attend??

Hi Davinia,

No, they are not charging you to attend, but expect a 30 - 50% dontation of your takings at the end of the evening.

Lucia,

offer shape & polish for £5 (15min) mini manicure for £10 (30min)

It seems like they are only offering 5, 10 and 15min slots. The event is only for 3 hours, so don't think they will be giving 30min slots. Will go with the shape and polish for £5. Thanks !

Dont worry about the nail art bigger hit with kids than adults but offer as an extra service if you want and just do nail art as a 15min treatment

They specifically asked for it, but I did point out that I can only do basic nail art (didn't actually say that I can't do nail art at all, but do have nail art stickers :) ) and she seemed fine with it. I could maybe just as a token gesture pop a single sticker on their ring finger or something just to be nice.

Dont give them anyhting for nothing, have the basket ready but with a few goody bags made up and retail to them while doing their nails, tell them how dry their cuticles are etc.

You wouldn't perhaps be suggesting that I "lie" to them, now would you ? :lol:

Excellent idea ! Depending on how much space I have, I can put a couple of short descriptions of each product with the product. I still have a couple of the Solar product advertising things that I got ages ago.

most of all enjoy it, dont give anything away for nothing and make sure everyone has your card. Even if youa hve to walka round the room giving them out.

I'm just a big chicken when it comes to things like that, my partner always moans abou it !

THANKS FOR THE HELP :hug: :hug:

River

Hi,
Ive done a few events of late, its great fun but tiring. I usually do the nail art & leave the mini-manis to some-one else so I cant help you with timing/treatments... but time flies & queues build!
When I get surrounded by a sea of faces I use a list & get peeps to add their names... cuts out the bickering about who has been waiting longer than who, lol!
Be sure to speak to the organsier to ensure you are near to a power point for your lamp ... its a luxury Ive not managed to get yet. If they cant accomodate with that, ask if they have a space near a window for some natural light.
The events Ive done have been out of my area, so I havent bothered taking my cards but could have picked up clients easily so make sure you take yours!
You'll find that people are constantly asking questions throughout treatments as well as while watching & I have sold many mini Solar oils, just by telling the benefits as I work.
Good luck

Glorsclaws said:
Hi,
When I get surrounded by a sea of faces I use a list & get peeps to add their names... cuts out the bickering about who has been waiting longer than who, lol!

Be sure to speak to the organsier to ensure you are near to a power point for your lamp ... its a luxury Ive not managed to get yet. If they cant accomodate with that, ask if they have a space near a window for some natural light.

You'll find that people are constantly asking questions throughout treatments as well as while watching & I have sold many mini Solar oils, just by telling the benefits as I work.
Good luck

Hi Glo,

You won't believe how nervous I am about this ! My mind is absolutely reeling !!

There will be what they call a Treatment Booking Sheet which I need to prepare beforehand and submit to them. Not quite sure if they will be taking the bookings, or if this is something that I need to keep and manage....

Good point about the power point !! The event will be held in the evening, so no chance of any natural light :lol:

How much do you normally charge for the mini SolarOils ??

Ooh, something else I just thought about, would I be expected to donate a % of my takings that I make on retail products as well ????

River

If they want nail art do the basic flicks and daisys on a couple of fingers, it looks like your best bet is shape & polish with the time given, oh an remember to have a blast :)

The events Ive done have been slightly different in that Ive been paid by the organisers to attend so not charged per service.
I sell my Solars at £2.50 each & they fly out.
I know what you mean about being nervous, I always am when first start off but by the end of the night Im flicking with my eyes closed ... usually quite literally as I can barely see by then, lol!

Glorsclaws said:
I know what you mean about being nervous, I always am when first start off but by the end of the night Im flicking with my eyes closed ... usually quite literally as I can barely see by then, lol!

PMSL !!

Well, I can't even do basic nail art like flicks and daisies as suggested. When I say I'm hopeless, I really mean that I'm hopeless !

This is such a fab oppurtunity for me that I honestly hope I don't stuff it up !

Are there any other hints and tips that I should know about ??

River

This is a fantastic opportunity for you to grow your client base, how wonderful!
You must let us know how you get on, don't be nervous you will be fab :green:
Make sure you have loads of business cards etc and as previously advised, do offers on the day to encourage repeat business.
Can't wait to hear how it went
Good luck!!!

Will definately keep you posted !

Just thought of something else ........ how do you display your nail varnishes ?

As I am mobile, I've got all my varnishes neatly packed and a very nice looking tupperware container. Should I get something a bit more classy ??

River

Ive got a cheap plastic black stand that I take Ive had it a couple of years, think I got it from somewhere like nailorder for about £12 ... holds about 44 Creative polishes.
You may not want to take this many polishes though ... too much colur choice seems to get them pondering & changing their mind too much :rolleyes:

River

Sounds fantastic hun, and I'm sure you are excited! I'm going to play devils advocate though....not because I think you've got any issues, its juts a word to the wise.

I did one of these before Christmas...I was told 850 women had been invited and on past performance upto 500 could turn up! On the night there were 12 of them!

Turns out the person marketing it didn't actually send out all the invites, and the whole thing just wasn't organised properly, so whilst I['m sure your wil be fione, it may just do to find a littel out about the organisation!

Sorry, I honestly don't want to be negative, I just think its worth checking!

Thanks Lorraine, exactly what I needed !!

Lyndsey,

This is a very well established organisation / institution in my area that has been there for over 30 years !

They run these events once a year and seem to be quite successful with them. Even if only 12 people turned up and I got 6, that would still give me £21 in my pocket :) :)

I totally understand what you are saying and if I didn't know this company, I probably would not have agreed to it.

River

River said:
Did you do a client consultation form for each of the people you performed a treatment on ?

River

Should you do this or not?

Latest posts

Back