Coughs, colds and clients??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
Well this morning I have woken up with a sore throat and feverish type symptoms, in other words I feel like crap.:rolleyes: One of my first clients yesterday morning was in for nails and was full of cold. When I mean full she was constantly coughing and sneezing and as I was sitting facing her so I was breathing it all in. Now I know she can't help being ill but it baffles me what clients are thinking when they still come in for their appointments feeling like this??? I feel like there was no consideration for anyone else. Don't they realize they are spreading their germs around, or are they just not giving it much thought? Swine flu springs to mind also. It's not the first time this has happened to me either. There is a huge poster on the door of my Doctors surgery stating that if you have flu like synptoms to not visit your surgery but phone up insteasd. I was thinking of putting somehting like this up in the Salon, but how could I word it without sounding rude and offending?

You could try to make it cute and amusing. Put a cute illustration of some sort. If people are chuckling, they won't be offended ^___^

If all of the clients that had colds cancelled their appointments I'd never make any money, so I thought "attack is the best form of defense"

You know that advert for Vicks first defence where the little boy is just about to have a tantrum and the Mother does it before he does?...well that product is just the best thing since sliced bread and as soon I start feeling the cold/flu symptoms I take that and it really does work... it's amazing!!

Failing that, if you are worried about germs, you could just pop on a mask :)

I'll be uploading a new album to facebook.
Called the wall of pride. It'll be of pictures of clients PROUDLY wearing their masks to protect: me, my kids, and my other clients from their germs
LOL that oughta get the point across.

But here's a notice I have for my clients if you want to use it. My clients haven't been offended at all because they can't argue the 'sense' of it:

Dear Clients,

I'm sure you are all well aware of the H1N1 virus that reared it's ugly head in winter of 2009/2010.
Chateauguay schools were inundated with children suffering said virus and there is was a program underway to minimize it's spread and exposure to other children.
http://www.globalmontreal.com/entertainment/Chateauguay+school+close+despite+high+absenteeism+rate/2072640/story.html

As you all know, I have two children.

It's now flu-season again and I must ask you to cancel and reschedule your appointment if you suffer any one, or all, of the following symptoms and I reserve the right to refuse service should you arrive with any of these symptoms:
fever
cough
sore throat
vomiting
diarreah
chills
headache
runny nose

I ask that you respect my request and decision because
1) I am trying to prevent my children, to the best of my ability, from becoming ill.
2) should my family and/or myself fall ill, I will NOT be able to meet the needs of my clients and will be forced to cancel mutliple appointments inconveniencing everyone.
3) If I interact with clients before experiencing symptoms, I can spread the virus and cause other families to be ill.

I do not wish to inconvenience any of you by falling ill, myself. Please understand that this is in the best interest of everyone concerned.

I thank you in advance for your consideration and understanding.
Best regards

I have had a cold this week and i have had my mask on.

Thanks for your replies.:biggrin: Victoria that is a great notice I may use that. Good idea about the masks though, I have them and I really should wear one if that happens again.

I had really bad flu over the xmas week, i cancelled all of my clients that week with regret. they were all understanding bless them x

I had a cold last week and I called them all to warn them, all of them still wanted to come. I tooke med and got thru it. People come here sick often however I always wear a mask and sanitize. I also wash my hand after every client. Im not sure that Id be able to tell them to wear a mask.

When I called all the clients to warn them of my cold, bc many have children, not 1 said oh u should rest lets rebook.

As Im getting deeper into the business and having a regular clientele I do find that many people are very inconsiderate of me. Im not sure if its because I work from home and that seems less professional to them. I have girls who are late, cancelling the same day, never tipping and also. I fnd just a general lack of appreciating the skill it takes to do nails. :mad: Things you dont think about when you start!

After reading this i have changed my original opinion!
Only yesterday my friend who is a hairdresser told me her boss was blatantly rude to a client as the client had a cold she refused to do anything!
I didn't really understand why not, money is money and it's only her hair!
So It's good to know you want to do this in the nicest way possible :)
If I was your client and you explained this to me and wanted to wear a mask or something I would completly understand and just laugh it off :)
x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

If all of the clients that had colds cancelled their appointments I'd never make any money, so I thought "attack is the best form of defense"

You know that advert for Vicks first defence where the little boy is just about to have a tantrum and the Mother does it before he does?...well that product is just the best thing since sliced bread and as soon I start feeling the cold/flu symptoms I take that and it really does work... it's amazing!!

Failing that, if you are worried about germs, you could just pop on a mask :)

Me too! Although I don't wait to feel a symptom, I use it after someone has been in to me full of cold/tonsillitis/flu

Jacqui xx

I have just phoned a sales rep and told her not to come and see me on Friday because we are all ill, some sort of bug, it's put us all flat on our backs, flu like with the added wowza of a stomach bug, not what you want at any time, but especially when you are a traveling rep. I've shifted my hair appointment as well. I wouldn't dream of seeing anyone at the moment. I think the masks are a great idea, we all use sanatisor gel with out batting an eyelid, so this is just part of the same thing.

It's a sensitive issue regarding clients though isn't i?. I mean I wouldn't like to sound rude if a client came into the salon and I was to say ''oh you sound like you have a cold, cough etc do you mind if I wear a mask cause I dont want to catch it?'' or '' I'm terribly sorry but I'm afraid I won't be able to treat you today as I can see you are full of cold and I am afraid I and the rest of the staff might catch it.''

I'm I'm sick, I wear the mask and fog up my glasses. But oh well, makes it easier to cough, don't have to lift my hand ANNNNNNNNND I can HIDE my 'dirty lil secret' for a drippy nose :wink2: (if I have a runny nose and can't stop blowing... I shove kleenex up it and put my mask on, no one knows LMFAO)

If THEY are sick, I expect THEM to wear the mask. Sorry.. but you're not breathing all over my house/home/me/equipment etc... Keep your germs to yourself or go home.

It's not just ME that they are protecting, they are protecting the other clients too.
Heck, if you go to the clinic/hospital around here, coughing and sneezing, they make you put a mask on so you don't make other people in the waiting room suffer your germs and get sick.

I make it all very comical, practical and etc. And to be honest, clients have felt RELIEF about it. They are less embarassed and less worried about making me sick (because sick days affect OTHER clients...).
My 'vet' client was sooooooooo thankful!! She had even considered bringing some, but worried I'd think she was weird LOL

I take 1000mg of vitamin c every day and I can't remember the last time I had a cold!!! If I have a client who has a cold I take one or two more vit c tabs that day (as well as re-sanitizing her and my hands when possible). Vitamin C is a vitamin that the body can't store and a nurse told me that you cannot overdose on vit c the worst that can happen is it can give you a runny tummy. A doctor on morning TV said that if you get a cold the best thing to do is to take 1000mg of vit c hourly until the symptoms subside - usually in about a 24-36 hours. But it's your choice obviously - I am a nail tech not a doctor - JMHO - HTH's

I take 1000mg of vitamin c every day and I can't remember the last time I had a cold!!! If I have a client who has a cold I take one or two more vit c tabs that day (as well as re-sanitizing her and my hands when possible). Vitamin C is a vitamin that the body can't store and a nurse told me that you cannot overdose on vit c the worst that can happen is it can give you a runny tummy. A doctor on morning TV said that if you get a cold the best thing to do is to take 1000mg of vit c hourly until the symptoms subside - usually in about a 24-36 hours. But it's your choice obviously - I am a nail tech not a doctor - JMHO - HTH's

That's interesting to know. :biggrin: I take a multi vitamin plus iron and an evening primrose tablet every day but now you've told me this I will be adding a vitamin C tablet to my daily dose now. Thanks

don't forget vit D during winter months! That's why most get sick... we don't get enough 'sun' during winter months and get less Vit D as a result.
it staves off the flu!

maybe people are worried about cancelling appointments and messing you around or they just don't realise how ill they actually are. many times i've just been so pre occupied with getting myself and the kids ready by the time i've made it out to the salon, sat down and started to relax i've actually noticed how yucky i'm actually feeling. i always feel bad about phoning people up to cancel appointments and think they'll think i'm making up excuses to get out of my appointment too. if a client comes in ill maybe you could suggest you reschedule and say something nice along of the lines of go home, put your feet up and have a rest you look/sound absolutely terrible and have a little joke about it. x

After a thread not so long ago about people charging for cancellations, I'm not surprised some of these poorly people turn up, I would too if I was gonna lose money over a sniffle :)

After a thread not so long ago about people charging for cancellations, I'm not surprised some of these poorly people turn up, I would too if I was gonna lose money over a sniffle :)

Yes I can see where your coming from, but where do we draw the line? Coughs an sneezes spread diseases and if the client phoned up to cancel beforehand and had a very good reason to cancel then I for one would not be charging them cancelation fees.

Personally, my 'cancellation fees' are for those that abuse me and don't respect me, and muck up my schedule on a regular basis. The policy is really ONLY in place for 'those' sorts of people.

My regulars who respect me, and appreciate me, and DON'T make a habit of jerking me around or messing with my schedule NEVER pay cancellation fees on the 'rare' occasion that "life gets in the way of living". I do have a heart. My 'regulars' who respect me KNOW this... and they know that if they are stuck, just to give me a ring and it's a non-issue and I remind them not to worry about the policy.

Those that are sick, I urge to take care of themselves and set them on their way with a 'virtual hug' and 'hope you get better soon'. Otherwise, they are invited to wear a mask. I don't penalize them for being sick.

It happens to all of us. INCLUDING me :-(

Latest posts

Back